Budget $100 gpu

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for a decent gpu for 900-1080p gaming for around $100, a local microcenter is selling an asus 950 for $95, and I've seen a few factory refurb 770's selling for $110. Would either of those be good ideas, or is there something else I should be looking for? Thanks

Games it would need to play
Shadow of mordor
Csgo
Skyrim special edition
Bioshock infinite
Ark survival evolved
Payday2
Battlefield 4
It doesn't have to max out these games, I'm fine with medium settings on just about all of them. And I am ok with buying used as long as it's from a reliable source. Thanks again

Solution
Performance-wise, the refurbished GTX 770 would get you the best performance for the money around that price range, and you could potentially see over 30% better performance in GPU-limited games compared to the 950. That card does have much higher power requirements though, using up to around 200 watts under load, as opposed to the low, sub-75 watt power requirements of a GTX 950 or 1050. That extra power means you'll want to have at least a decent 450+ watt PSU, and sufficient case cooling to deal with that extra heat. A 950 or 1050 will undoubtedly run cooler and quieter if that is important to you, and of course, a new card will probably come with a better warranty.

The system's CPU might also affect performance in these games...
Performance-wise, the refurbished GTX 770 would get you the best performance for the money around that price range, and you could potentially see over 30% better performance in GPU-limited games compared to the 950. That card does have much higher power requirements though, using up to around 200 watts under load, as opposed to the low, sub-75 watt power requirements of a GTX 950 or 1050. That extra power means you'll want to have at least a decent 450+ watt PSU, and sufficient case cooling to deal with that extra heat. A 950 or 1050 will undoubtedly run cooler and quieter if that is important to you, and of course, a new card will probably come with a better warranty.

The system's CPU might also affect performance in these games, so it would be worth mentioning what that is as well. Is it the one listed in your profile (when hovering over your avatar)? If so, that would certainly be capable, although I notice you also list an RX 470, which would actually outperform any of these cards. : P

Solution

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Sadly, I've run into problems with 4690k and rx 470 build, and had to send it in for repairs. I'm using an intel 6100 with 8 gigs ddr4 2133 MHz

That PSU would probably be able to handle a GTX 770.

Another card to look out for would be the GTX 1050 Ti, which doesn't require much more power than a 1050/950 but provides better performance, and has 4GB of VRAM. I believe it's performance is relatively comparable to a 4GB 770, though it can be faster in some newer games, and potentially slower in some older ones. 1050 Tis are priced higher though, currently starting at around $135 to $140 online.

If you do go with a 770, I would ideally look for one with 4GB of VRAM, since that could help with performance in some newer and upcoming games.

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Would any of those be bottlenecked by an i3 6100?

I don't think that would be a problem. As far as the per-core performance goes, an i3-6100 isn't far behind the stock performance of higher-end processors, like an i7-7700. There's just less cores. Many games only utilize a couple primary threads, and will get along fine on two cores, and even though you could see a performance hit compared to quad-core processors on games that make use of more threads, the hyper-threading will help with that, at least enough to keep up with any of the GPUs in this price range. There could potentially be some demanding games that get held back by the processor's performance, but for the most part I would expect the graphics card to be limiting performance more than anything.

I'd go with the 770. The 950 is not bad at all, but for only $15 more, assuming you can afford the extra $15, I think you can benefit from the extra performance. You'll be in 1050 Ti performance territory, but without the 4gb vram. However, you say using maximum settings isn't a big deal to you, so then that's not an issue. I think your power supply can handle it.

Ryzenhasrisen

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Thanks, but as it turns out I thought my rx 470 was dead, but it isn't. I moved that to this rig, and am getting along fine in almost every game. Im going to put an old GeForce 710 I had lying around in my old build if/when I can get it fixed. I apologize for wasting your time, but greatly appreciate the help