Budget allround pc for my little brother

thijdjo

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
Hello boys and girls from the forum,

I've been in the circuit of building pc's for a few months now and I convinced my father I would be able to build a computer (with help of you) myself. So he told me to build my little brothers pc. He just went to the secondary school and he really needs one. The budget he gave me is around 500$ excluding the OS because he said he got one at home I could use. So I made a rig and I don't think it's as good as it can get right now, so I would really appreciate some put-in from you guys. He will use it for (light) gaming and surfing the web and making word files, etc. This is my list so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YKzLf7
So the reason why I chose for the Pentium processor is because it is a pretty good processor for it's price point and it also goes onto a LGA 1150 socket. So I could upgrade it to an i5 or maybe even i7 when needed in the future. This is also the reason why I went with this, in comparison, pretty overkill motherboard. But it just has many abilities for future upgrades, so that he doesn't have to buy a complete new computers or completely different and newer parts. Also I'm from the Netherlands and the market is a bit limited in my country. And the case I would like to go with is not on the pcpartpicker-website. But it is this cheap but in my opinion pretty ok case: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/information/page.html?articleId=1144244&channel_code=40&product_code=95646587&utm_source=tweakers.net
So I wanted to hear your opinions on it and maybe some suggestions on what I can save some money on or what would be a better way to go. And I did check if all parts are compatible and I thought they were but I'm not sure whether I checked everything I needed to. Also do I need an optical drive? I probably do to install windows right?
Thanks for helping me and my brother out!

Solution
Go with #2 on power supply.

If Gskill is more expensive then crucial then the crucial will perform just fine.

I generally prefer name brand cases because they are easier to build in, no razer blade edges and have decent cable management/airflow designed into it. If all the fan slots are for 120mm or larger then it should be a decent enough case though.

If your brother wants to game seriously on this pc then you should at least put the money into a psu for a more a serious graphics card latter.

If he is not concerned about PC gaming then you could get rid of the 260x all together and get an i3 and ssd drive.
If you're in the netherlands you should check out tweakers.net, they have a similar part on the webiste like pcpartspicker called 'pricewatch'. They also have best buying guides, for instance one that you might find interesting is this budget gaming pc build:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/3772/3/desktop-best-buy-guide-november-2014-budgetgamesysteem.html

I would reconsider buying a motherboard for future upgrades, if you're not going to upgrade within a year or less it usually will not be worth it. At least that is what I think, building my own pc's for the last 15 years I usually end up buying new stuff and very rarely bought an upgrade.

NZXT 210 and Corsair 200r are good lower end cases if those are the same price.

I would get GSKILL ripjaws if cheaper in your country (in USA they are $20 cheaper).

Motherboard is a fine choice since you can overclock the cpu.

The power supply is not great though sicne you have a graphics card.
The CX series should only be used in office/basic task pcs that are not going to be used for gaming. If you were just using the integrated graphics of the Pentium then you would be fine, but with the 260x you will need a higher end one. I would go for a 450w from Antex, EVGA, XFX or Seasonic that is at least 80+ bronze rated.

thijdjo

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
First of all I want to thank you for the quick answers
@bootcher
I do use the site tweakers but only to check the prices in the Netherlands because it doesn't have a section where you can select parts and put it together in your rig I believe (I couldn't find it at Pricewatch at least). That build seems pretty good but as I said, I think I will be better of with a LGA1150 socket motherboard because the upgrade path is wider. And I do have an ok Z97 motherboard I believe so that will do the job for the next 4 years I think, I don't think he will ever have a SLI or Crossfire so it doesn't need to be capable of it. (It is capable of Crossfire though.) I could just put an i5-4670k in there if I wanted and as the time passes by there will be newer i5 processors for about the same price. He does play on the PlayStation loads so I don't think he will need a video card upgrade in the next 3 years either.
@boosted1g
The NZXT 210 is a bit more expensive than the Sharkoon VG4-W (the case I chose, only available in the netherlands) and is pretty similar except for it having 2 more internal 3"5 bays and no USB 3.0 Ports. The Corsair 200r does have USB 3.0 and does have more internal bays but I don't think my brother needs more than 3 bays so that's fine. The Sharkoon VG4-W is like 20€ cheaper too so I made that decision.
The G.Skill Ripjaws are a bit more expensive but only like 5€, is it worth getting these over the Crucial Ballistix Tactical?
I looked up some other PSU's and I found some alternatives (PSU's are really expensives parts in my country, I don't have a clue why):
1. Seasonic G-Serie 360W 80+ Gold Certified nonmodular for 50€ (I don't know if it will be enough because I will be overclocking the processor)
2. Seasonic S12-II Bronze 430W nonmodular for 47€ (I think this will be enough, is it worth getting a more expensive gold certified one?)
3. Cooler Master GM G550M semimodular PSU 52€ (this will definetely be enough, maybe I will be able to upgrade it a bit without having to change the PSU later on.) Is this a quality PSU though? Since it is pretty cheap comparing to the other ones listed? Considering it is also semi modular I think I will go with this one.
Will this be the right choice?

Go with #2 on power supply.

If Gskill is more expensive then crucial then the crucial will perform just fine.

I generally prefer name brand cases because they are easier to build in, no razer blade edges and have decent cable management/airflow designed into it. If all the fan slots are for 120mm or larger then it should be a decent enough case though.

If your brother wants to game seriously on this pc then you should at least put the money into a psu for a more a serious graphics card latter.

If he is not concerned about PC gaming then you could get rid of the 260x all together and get an i3 and ssd drive.

Solution

The OP was looking for upgradeability, that platform is maxed out and will perform about equal to a core i3.
Better then the Pentium, but not by much and not upgradeable without a complete cpu/motherboard swap.

TRENDING THREADS