Question budget compact cooler for Core 2 Quad Q9650

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Hello,
I need a compact and not too expensive cooler for Q9650 that's installed a small form factor machine. (max height is about 80mm)
Thanks

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
I can buy from either eBay, Amazon.com or AliExpress. My budget should be around 20$ (That's enough for a 95W TDP? Because I already have a LGA775 cooler but the Q9650 gets over 80C on stress test)

thanks for the fast reply!

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
The machine I'm using did not have a stock cooler - it's not even using push pins, it uses 4 spring screws... and I see that the Rosewill hash push pins, sorry I forgot to mention it

*It also has 4pins PWM

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
I'd like to use the 4-pins for the PWM to work so it will be silent (Or I'm wrong and it can be silent even without PWM)

And, it's not that I want to avoid push pins, I just can't install push pins there because it has threads for screws (Or again I'm wrong and I can still use push pins with that? It's just an HP compact machine so maybe things are different)

**Edit: And anyway the Rosewill is designed for up to 86W tdp and won't be enough for the 95W of the C2Q

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
It's A custom mini heatsink for this small form factor pc. 80c is too hot because it's rated for maximum 71c. I thought about ziptying a 70mm fan to it. Do you have a recommendation for a not too loud 70x70x15mm fan? Thanks

Do you have a make/model for the pc?
Or, perhaps a photo of the space you have to work with?
Does your current cooler now have a fan attached, or is it just a heat sink?

Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
If there is no fan to help get air into where the cpu and cooler are, nothing will really help. You could limit the max performance in windows from 100% to perhaps 80% to get the heat down.
a 70mm fan needs to run at very high rpm to do any good.
There are some 80mm noctua fans tat are relatively quiet.

Here is a link to some low profile coolers.
https://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.html

You should note that the stock intel cooler is quite decent.
There are several types with differing heights.
The ones with copper bottoms and are taller are the strongest.

Reactions: foroomate

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Here are some photos:
*The heatsink itself if you look in this photo is 65x54mm (its height is 70mm)
UaUwiPK.jpg

And bunch of many components hidden in the above photo (To the right side of the heatsink, underneath, their height is 10mm, capacitors being the tallest)

ZD3yXv4.jpg