Budget cpu cooler for 8700k that will fit in a P400S case

JK-777

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, I'm a newbie.
So, I've got all my parts together to build my pc, but I didn't realise the importance of having a good cooler. Right now, I have a cooler master hyper 212x, but I'n not sure this will be enough for an i7 8700k. I don't have a large budget ($100 NZD maximum) to spend on a cooler, also the nh-d15 will not fit in my p400s case as I only have a 160mm cooler clearance. I'd prefer air cooling just because it's cheaper, but if there is a good aio water cooler for cheap, I wouldn't mind.
Thank you for your help ;D

Solution
That case will fit any cooler up to 160mm. Your selection is pretty limited though. These are the only two coolers I see available to you under 160mm tall that would even be worth considering upgrading to from your 212x.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/mjdqqs,wjmLrH/

If you could locate a Cryorig H5, that is adjustable between 160-168mm based on where you mount the fan, and THAT would be about the best cooler you can get, anywhere, under 160mm that is not water cooling. Might want to consider water cooling based on your case limitations.
That case will fit any cooler up to 160mm. Your selection is pretty limited though. These are the only two coolers I see available to you under 160mm tall that would even be worth considering upgrading to from your 212x.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/mjdqqs,wjmLrH/

If you could locate a Cryorig H5, that is adjustable between 160-168mm based on where you mount the fan, and THAT would be about the best cooler you can get, anywhere, under 160mm that is not water cooling. Might want to consider water cooling based on your case limitations.

Solution

JK-777

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

Ok, I had my eyes on a Cryorig H7, which is a little smaller (145mm). Is this not a good pick then? On the water cooling side, really my only affordable option would be the Corsair H100i. Is this a good AIO, as I've seen mixed reviews?

H7, and really, most of the 120mm coolers, are not really enough for the 8700k because of it's additional cores. More cores means more heat, overclocked or not. If you plan to overclock you for certain need at least a single fin stack 140mm cooler. If you don't plan to overclock at all, then the H7 will probably be ok.

I didn't see it available in your market, but if it is, there are certainly worse options. It's a very good cooler for a 120mm single stack cooler.

urbancamper

Distinguished

H100i is a 240mm aio cooler. But your right. Even that may not be enough if the op want to do a major overclock.
My i5 8600k gets dangerously close to 90c in prime95 at 5.0ghz and upper 70s while gaming. The 8700k has more threads so it stands to reason it would get even hotter. Heck I'm thinking about getting a 360aio cooler.

DE lidding would really bring the temps down, but I personally am not willing to go that rout.

IMO delidding is only worth it if you go though a delidding service that guarantees replacement in the event of damage or poor result (At least, to the average person not comfortable with or capable of, doing it themselves). But, that costs even more money. Worth it to some, certainly if you want a big overclock on a 6/12 or higher CPU, perhaps not so much to others.

I think it likely that a big air cooler with a very high static pressure, high RPM, high CFM industrial fan, like the Noctua PPC industrial fans, installed on a proven high efficiency heatsink, might be able to handle a respectable overclock on such a CPU, or as you say, a big 360mm AIO or open loop.

I was told back at the release of Skylake that my Noctua NH-U14S would not handle a 4.5Ghz or higher OC, however, it remained within the thermal envelope at 4.8Ghz and I only backed it down to 4.6Ghz for reasons of longevity. I think a properly delidded 8700k with a correctly lapped CPU lid and heatsink base, along with a proven heatsink and very capable fan combination might be able to accomplish with air what generally is only recommended with water. But I digress somewhat.

That is probably all beyond what the OP is wanting, or willing, to do.

Not sure how available items are to you on the newly functional Amazon Australia, if at all, but the Cryorig H5 is available through that site below your stated budget, so perhaps including any shipping it might still fit within your budget.

https://www.amazon.com.au/CRYORIG-Efficiency-Innovation-Acceleration-Dissipation/dp/B0154AXB4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513059990&sr=8-1&keywords=Cryorig+H5

JK-777

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks for your inputs. I've decided to save my pennies for a few more paychecks and will pick up a NZXT Kraken x52 (I can't find the x62 in any stores here)
I'm not planning to overclock to over 9000, just maybe a little bit in the distant future.

Well, good luck then and if you do have further questions don't hesitate to ask. If you're going to go with liquid, then this might also be a good choice.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($204.99 @ PB Technologies)
Total: $204.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-12 22:50 NZDT+1300

The EVGA CLC liquid coolers are also excellent choices if you can find them. The Corsair model above has fantastic recommendations on the professional review sites, so even though I don't usually side with those in the Corsair camp on most hardware choices, seems those are a pretty sure bet for performance and reliability.