Budget gaming PC for the next 3-4 years with the ability to upgrade

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014
i'm building a new pc for me self since i got tired of my gaming laptop :)
the build i have which i'm going to list here asking your opinions on, is
built not a be a humongous tower yet have the power to play BF4 if i wish.

ASRock B85M PRO4 LGA1150 - microATX 65.90 euros

Intel Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz LGA1150, boxed 190,90 euros

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 Mhz 8 GB kit 69,90 euros

Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 GB 2.5" SATA3 Basic Retail 144,90euros

Corsair CX600W V2 CX-Series 600 W ATX-PSU 68,90 euros

Fractal Design Define Mini Black Pearl - MicroATX 87,90 euros

in a total of 628,40 euros + postage

this is the build i came up with considering cost / efficiency / possibility to upgrade parts when needed.

Mind you i live in Finland so i don't think i can order from the likes of Newegg etc.

EDIT: i noticed i didn't mention anything about the GPU, the build is lacking GPU because i'm unsure what to get.

EDIT changed the MB due to suggestions on the thread that i really don't need Z87 MB
thank you for your time

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
You are not good, No1 A Z87 motherboard series are meant for overclocking and therefore are wasting your time since the CPU you have is not unlocked which means not suitable for overclocking, however the CPU IS good I recommend a budget B85 motherboard or H87 motherboard around 70€. No2 go for a modular PSU, that alaows more room to upgrade and more room for better airflow inside the cabinet which is crucial. No3 If you are on a tight budget drop the SSD if you don't want to I suggest going for a 120 gb SSD or even a 64 gb (an SSD comes to most use in faster windows booting and better load timings in games, IT DOES NOT affect the actual performance of the game related to frames per second (fps)). No4 in my opinion I would shave a few euros of the cabinet and SSD along with the motherboard and get a much better Video Card (which affects gaming performance the MOST).

Would you happen to have a maximum budget(€)planned in mind? If so then we could help you further progress.

Also if you want to max out BF4 or rather any other game, you'll need at least an R9 280X or a NVidia GTX 770.

allenvi

Reputable
May 1, 2014
well then you have a nice build bro. you can run BF4 there perfectly. Just choose a video card and you're good to go. r9-270x is better when it comes to BF4.

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

No1 on the Z87 chipset, i might upgrade the CPU at somepoint, hence the ability to do so if i want to.

No2 As far as i know that Corsair CX600W is semi-modular, ie. only things that aren't modular are the motherboard
24pin connector and something else. i decided not to buy fully modular PSU because the price difference is
too much for added benefit.

No3 The SSD is a calculated cost since there aren't going to be any more hdd's in the system, just the SSD

No4 The SSD in in the mix for games and the OS and the case is chosen because of the size :)

i really appreciate your answer and it is highly articulated, respect this :) thank you

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Sorry i missed this part. my budget is 1000euros tops

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Took a second look at the MB choice, googled the difference between the chipset and you're correct.
Changed the build to reflect the change of new information.

i wan to apologize if i seemed to answer to you like a dick

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Dont worry I didn't fell offended in the slightest :) You probably won't need to upgrade the CPU for the next couple of years or so, at the moment there are very few games that take advantage over an i7 over an i5, only Haswells of course. I see so you want a build that's as compact as possible? Or an Micro Atx is fine, since there are also Mini ITX cabinets and mobos.

Also are you 100% sure that the AMD HD 6950 is only 75???
Can you seriously send me the link to that Video Card?! I'll reply back after checking up on that.

Isn't the CPU overpriced? And the SSD too? In Germany the i5 costs 160€ whereas the SSD costs 120€.

Otherwise the build looks good. Oh and do you not need peripherals like: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, OS?

flipy

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I'm in a similar position with a similar budget.
However, I plan to invest in a i7-4770K and a Z87 motherboard, willing to make it last longer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but nowadays OC'ing is almost automatic, and therefore you can take advantage to it (always focusing on making the computer last longer).

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Well as i've understood it, OC'ing is pushing beyod intel's Turbo technology, those reported 3.2Ghz clockspeed are the max with the Turbo which the mb/cpu attains when you need that much power ie. gaming. when you want to OC you'll go to bios and set the clocks up to 4.5Ghz constantly. i might be wrong tho

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

mm that SSD is the cheapest what i wanted that i could find here i think, not sure about the CPU tho, i did look over germanys prices on Computeruniverse.net and i did get a bit cheaper package.

i got an excess win7 home prem, keyboard + gaming mouse i currently use with my gaming laptop and i have a 24" Benq 1920x1200 lcd attached to the laptop also :)

oh i forgot to add that i am selling my gaming laptop for about 600euros or more so that goes into the budget

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hmm. Seems a little sketchy... Is it an Online Retailer? The price seems rather low, the hardware might have some problems and whatnot. Ask the retailer for how long he's used it, if it's in good condition, and with papers and warranty and such. If the card is still in working condition WITHOUT any problems regarding display or overheating issues etc. if it is then it sounds like a good deal :) As long as you upgrade in the future, because remember that card is outdated it was made in: December 2010. If you don't trust the vendor then don't go for the card. Is it possible to send us the Link to the vendor you're buying it from?

flipy

Reputable
May 1, 2014

AFAIK, and besides Intel Turbo Technology, you can instruct your motherboard to push a little bit further.
Of course, that will mean more power, faster RAM and a good CPU, but it might be worth it

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

i can link it, but it's on a finnish facebook page and i'm reluctant to share it so someone doesn't pouch it before i get to buy it :)

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

That's true but that'd require me to change the cpu/motherboard and probably the case also and i need a proper cooler instead of the boxed one and that would add about 200-250euros to the cost :)

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

aye figured that 6950 be comparable to 560 ti on most parts and that'd be enough... what i forgot to add... (dumbass me hehe) that mu current laptop is i7 3610qm / gtx 670 3Gb ram... now i'm not looking for an instant upgrade relating to my gaming laptop, i just want to build and play World of Tanks, Diablo 3, Wildstar, War Thunder etc relatively high fps. i'm not a hc gamer that has to have 100fps all the time, i am sorry if i haven't been forthcoming on my gaming habits. i am senile so... :)

flipy

Reputable
May 1, 2014
One thing you might change (and adjust your budget) is the case: go for a Bitfenix Prodigy.
For what I've read, it's a better case, more space and you if you tweak a little bit (fans) it will keep your system cool.

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

thanks man, i'll look into it :)

now i gotta head out, i'll pop back in later to check the thread

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Agreed.

Kheolis

Reputable
May 2, 2014

aaaand i was too slow, someone on FB made a reservation per group rules and bought it :D