Budget Gaming PC Guide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry guys, I'll be sure to update the hardware and prices, and you can expect ~ 2.8-3.0ghz overclocking. I have been kept busy with... well, recovering. I had surgery a week ago. But as I said, I'll be sure to update all the information as soon as I can.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Well, I appreciate your guide. Hope it was minor surgery.

Thanks.

It was minor, but it's still annoying. My house is my prison for the next 4 weeks... :(. I updated the prices. I still need to do some changes with certain hardware and comments. I'm not finished just yet.. :p. The total as is now, comes to about 690$

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Updated.
With stock cooling you can expect up to 3.0ghz overclock
With aftermarket cooling, you can expect up to 3.0ghz overclock.
Link
The E4*** series is hard to get over 3.0ghz, while the E6*** series can do up to 3.6-3.8ghz with proper memory, motherboard, and heatsink of course. If you went with an E6400, you could most likely hit 3.4ghz+ with this budget build. E6300 can't reach that high due to it's lower multiplier.

Goink

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Thanks Final for all the work you've put into this. I think I'm going to buy everything right down the line. Any recommendations for a Monitor and version of Vista? Hope you're not going stir crazy!

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks Final for all the work you've put into this. I think I'm going to buy everything right down the line. Any recommendations for a Monitor and version of Vista? Hope you're not going stir crazy!

Thank you.

As for a version of Vista, depends on your needs. Almost everyone should be comfortable with Vista Home Premium.

As for Monitor, depends on how much you feel like spending. As far as I know, Samsung has the best LCD monitors currently.

For 300$, you can get this 22" (The 20" variation of this monitor is only 20$ cheaper). And after looking around, it's not worth saving 50-100$ for a cheaper monitor, you lose way too much quality. This monitor is an absolute bargain for this price as well.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Check the 3GHz C2D Rig system I recommend ... the link is over my signature ... :)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale (Retail Box with HSF) - $117
HSF: Stock HSF - $0
-Same CPU and HSF as my build

M/B: BioStar TForce965PT (Open Box) - $52
-Now your cheating, open box isn't always available. And while this is a good motherboard, the Gigabyte ones are better, and it's currently only 5$ more.

RAM: 2x 1GB SuperTalent PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz CL5 - $83
-I couldn't tell you which memory is better, but it looks like this SuperTalent stuff overclocks pretty well, and it's 5$ cheaper then what I have.

GPU: 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 - $75 ($110-$35MIR)
-The 7600gt is a joke, it is NOT a gaming videocard anymore.

HDD: Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA2 (3.0Gb/s) - $52
-Your listed harddrive is about $0.33/GB, while a 320GB is $0.25/GB. While it's cheaper, it's not bang-for-your-buck

DVD: 16x DVD Writter - $29

FDD: 1.44" Floppy Disk Drive - $5
-Floppy isn't needed unless you have raid, the Biostar and Gigabyte board both don't support raid.

PSU: ChiefMax 650W $20
-While I understand the need to keep a low price, I wouldn't buy this power supply, ever. Go wash some cars near a busy intersection and accept donations so you can afford something better. This is just asking for trouble.

CASE: Generic Case (without PSU) - $12
-Again, I understand the low price, but I personally wouldn't buy and beige computer case that instantly gives the impression that the computer is a pile of garbage.

FAN: 4x 8CM Fan ($1.50 each) & 1x 12CM Fan ($5 each) - $11

With all this, I know your going to argue your point that it is 450$ for the whole system. But my system is based on bang for buck, spending more or less will 'cause a decrease in overall value. And while less money is good, cheap isn't always better. My system vs your system 450$ vs 800$. 350$ difference is compensating for a videocard thats immensely more powerfull (The 7600gt struggles on new games at 800x600 max quality, while the 8800gts 320MB can run those same games max (0xaa) at 1600x1200). A much higher quality case and power supply that wont fail. I rather spend the extra money.

However, I still appreciate your input, and it clarifies to anyone who is reading this guide for actual research into there new system, and your build brings in the super low budget aspect into view.

Infact, I am going to update my guide with the memory you listed.

Muck

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
What is the difference between the S3 and DS3, I haven't been able to get an answer to that. The spec's look the same, the same manual even comes with it.

BTW, I believe this S3 does support RAID.

I just got this setup last night, with most of the parts listed here. Trying to overclock with an artic pro 7, i'll let you know how it does.

Goink

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Almost everyone should be comfortable with Vista Home Premium.

As for Monitor, depends on how much you feel like spending. As far as I know, Samsung has the best LCD monitors currently.

For 300$, you can get this 22" (The 20" variation of this monitor is only 20$ cheaper). And after looking around, it's not worth saving 50-100$ for a cheaper monitor, you lose way too much quality. This monitor is an absolute bargain for this price as well

Yeah I had my eye on that Samsung and I'm going to buy it. And since I am I'm upping the videocard to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814122018 640mb 8800GTS. I think it's only around $80 more after rebate.
Problem is I need to cut costs on something to do it and I think it's going to be the Power supply. Found a 500watter with high ratings and a slick blue LED for $50. It seems to have similar specs to yours minus the SLI support. Hope I don't regret it. If you really think I'm stupid to do it let me know. I'm going to sleep on it and click the 'buy' button tomorrow (about 12 hours from now). Keep up the good work!
ps I think the mail in rebate is gone on the case...

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I don't want to repeat my argument here. Read through the whole thread, and you'll see explanations. The BioStar motherboard has been proven, to be consistently overclocking way better than the Gigabyte's lineup. All you need is to flash the bios with the latest version, or or hacked version. Besides that under the explanation of choice, I did address the problem of the availability of open-box motherboards, and recommended other motherboards as well. When have I mentioned buying a cheap casing has to be beige? Did you look at the picture I posted? The only thing that I might agree with you is your argument on the PSU, which I have even explained in my guide, if you read through everything you'd know I've made a note there. The HDD, it may not be the best $/GB, but let's say, if a 100TB HDD has the lowest $/GB, will you be buying it? There were many things to be considered within a budget system, the total amount to be spent, as opposed to $/GB, we need to consider what's practical for the price. 7600GT for $75 is a steal, and it's a pretty decent card in fact, and it can still be considered a gaming card.

Again, the only concern would be the PSU, but I'm still testing it out, and I've got a 3.7GHz E4300 running for almost 4 months now, without failing. Once it fails, I'll definitely write a report about it and keep everyone updated. :)

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The difference is the "D" stands for durable, it uses better capacitors, which was a big problem about a year ago. They say it will last much longer. Most of the other features are the same.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I don't want to repeat my argument here. Read through the whole thread, and you'll see explanations. The BioStar motherboard has been proven, to be consistently overclocking way better than the Gigabyte's lineup. All you need is to flash the bios with the latest version, or or hacked version.

Can I get a link to show me that Biostar makes a better P965 overclocking motherboard then the Gigabyte variation?

Besides that under the explanation of choice, I did address the problem of the availability of open-box motherboards, and recommended other motherboards as well.

As I write this response, Newegg doesn't even have the Biostar motherboard listed at all, it's not even 'out of stock'. But when you make the recommendation to motherboards that are most likely to be in stock, the overall price of your guide goes up 50$. I'm arguing that your parts list isn't legitimate because all the parts aren't available, and in this case, not even listed.

When have I mentioned buying a cheap casing has to be beige? Did you look at the picture I posted?

I admit, I should of chosen my words more carefully. I also partly agree with the point that a case doesn't effect the performance of the computer either (except the cooling capacity, and thus the overclockability). When I meant beige, I meant just overall low quality. I bought a 20$ case once to save money, and it turned out the screw holes didn't even line up for my DVD drive. While this is only one experience, and by no means guarantees the same issue, chances are you will run into problems with a low priced case.

The only thing that I might agree with you is your argument on the PSU, which I have even explained in my guide, if you read through everything you'd know I've made a note there.

My apologies, I didn't read through the entire guide, but I have this time, and I'm making sure I give you all my information and reasoning behind everything I say here.

The HDD, it may not be the best $/GB, but let's say, if a 100TB HDD has the lowest $/GB, will you be buying it? There were many things to be considered within a budget system, the total amount to be spent, as opposed to $/GB, we need to consider what's practical for the price.

100TB drive comparison is an exaggerated comparison, were talking about an 18$ difference for 50%+ capacity. Although, when keeping prices down, ever dollar counts.

7600GT for $75 is a steal, and it's a pretty decent card in fact, and it can still be considered a gaming card.

Almost twice the performance for only 30$ more. I'm sorry, the 7600gt is just not a good gaming card by any standard anymore. If your buying a machine for gaming, then don't even consider that card. As I pointed out earler, the x1950gt is at least double that of a 7600gt, and it's only 105$ after MIR.

Again, the only concern would be the PSU, but I'm still testing it out, and I've got a 3.7GHz E4300 running for almost 4 months now, without failing. Once it fails, I'll definitely write a report about it and keep everyone updated. :)

I'm sorry... but you forgot to mention one important thing about your entire guide. The E4300 CPUs do not overclock nearly as well as the E6300. In fact, a 3ghz overclock on an E4300 is quite impressive from what I've heard. And posting results from your previous guide is misleading.

Also keep in mind you posted your specs in my thread, and I feel obligated to defend my decisions. Your build might be suited for someone on a really tight budget without gaming in mind (rather photoshop, or such, with a Core2Duo processor and 2GB of RAM). But my build is better suited for someone who wants a serious gaming machine for a serious budget.

P.S. I updated the prices on the guide again.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Almost everyone should be comfortable with Vista Home Premium.

For 300$, you can get this 22" (The 20" variation of this monitor is only 20$ cheaper). And after looking around, it's not worth saving 50-100$ for a cheaper monitor, you lose way too much quality. This monitor is an absolute bargain for this price as well

Yeah I had my eye on that Samsung and I'm going to buy it. And since I am I'm upping the videocard to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814122018 640mb 8800GTS. I think it's only around $80 more after rebate.
Problem is I need to cut costs on something to do it and I think it's going to be the Power supply. Found a 500watter with high ratings and a slick blue LED for $50. It seems to have similar specs to yours minus the SLI support. Hope I don't regret it. If you really think I'm stupid to do it let me know. I'm going to sleep on it and click the 'buy' button tomorrow (about 12 hours from now). Keep up the good work!
ps I think the mail in rebate is gone on the case...

I would really stay away from a cheap PSU if it can be avoided. If you absolutely must have a lower price tag, I rather get the 320MB 8800gts and a quality power supply, the 640MB with a cheap power supply.

Muck

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I've hit my target OC and used your guide for much of the build (at least what the build was previously). Greatly appreciated, it's doing exactly what I wanted it to do.

Thanks again!

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I've hit my target OC and used your guide for much of the build (at least what the build was previously). Greatly appreciated, it's doing exactly what I wanted it to do.

Thanks again!

I'm glad all my hard work wasn't for naught. :)