Budget iPhone Could Generate $6.5 Billion For Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
The difference between a $200 iPhone and a $700 iPhone is pretty small when one considers that a three-year service plan for either will run several thousands of dollars. Relative to the cost of ongoing service, spending $700 on a cellular phone is akin to spending $60 on a cordless/corded telephone.

If you want to get my attention, offer a nice phone with cheap service.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Lower quality screen? Downgraded processor? You mean a rehash of iPhone 4?
Now they can sell old unused slow chips. Brilliant. They should call it iPhony.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I'm afraid thing like this will dilute iPhone's exclusivity. Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave the day that budget iPhone launched.

prathameshdotinfo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]I'm afraid thing like this will dilute iPhone's exclusivity. Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave the day that budget iPhone launched.[/citation]

100% agree with sixdegree. Any Budget phone may benefit Apple in short term, but in long term its a sure disaster. It will loose its Premium Brand Positioning. People buy iPhone in India not because its a good product, but because its a status symbol. If my driver is going to carry the same phone as I am carrying then I loose interest in that Brand. And its a fact that we cannot deny...We live in a Branded World and are completely integrated into it.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]I'm afraid thing like this will dilute iPhone's exclusivity. Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave the day that budget iPhone launched.[/citation]

Like the iPad mini >?

If they release a budget phone, iPhone will have to face heavier competition on the high-end front. In my country, an iPhone 5 64gb runs for 1700USD (5,2 x minimum wage). People who buy iPhones here do so because it is a symbol of social status. They probably wouldn't buy it if everyone could have one.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom]The difference between a $200 iPhone and a $700 iPhone is pretty small when one considers that a three-year service plan for either will run several thousands of dollars. Relative to the cost of ongoing service, spending $700 on a cellular phone is akin to spending $60 on a cordless/corded telephone.If you want to get my attention, offer a nice phone with cheap service.[/citation]

ummm... it's not even targeted for people who want a 2-3 year contract. They're targeted towards people who want to buy the phone outright, you know the 2.5 billion people in China and India.
Lets not forget the 1 billion or so in Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan and Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.