Question Budget motherboard for an i7-6700k ?

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
Hey guys so i want a budget motherboard on amazon , for cpu i7 6700k , i highly believe my mobo is broken cuz i saw resistor on mobo are kinda broken and mobo wont turn on at all so if you guys help me find a good mobo and budget thanks in advance

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
I did not see any budget motherboards (except for one that is of an unknown brand - I would stay away) on Amazon. That said, I would check out eBay if possible. - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I would look for a Z170 or Z270 chipset motherboard. Avoid 'Parts Only' or 'As Is'. Stick with MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, or Asus.
Thanks for the reply brother , well it took kinda takes long time to arrive probably a month ,, because i live in dubai , on amazon can i find one that cost like 65 to 70$?

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
The 6700k is only compatible with 100 and 200 series chipsets. The socket is the same, on newer models, but they are not compatible.
Thanks for the reply

Well thats the thing , im not an expert on motherboard at all , i was going to buy a 1151 mobo but now i know not all all 1151 support this cpu , so i dont know how to search online for this particular cpu

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply

Well thats the thing , im not an expert on motherboard at all , i was going to buy a 1151 mobo but now i know not all all 1151 support this cpu , so i dont know how to search online for this particular cpu
You want to search for the models that are compatible.
Z170, Z270
Q170
H110, H170, H270
B150, B250

Keep in mind that not necessarily ALL 200 series boards will work with the 6700K and you should double check it's CPU compatibility via the product page on the manufacturer website when you come across one when searching.

Also also, only the Z series can overclock the 6700K. You are stuck at stock speeds with any other variant of board.

Here is a list of boards for the CPU in question.
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7/i7-6700K_motherboards.html
If you want to search through that entire list that is up to you.
Can cross reference whatever you find using the above model number with this list if you like.

In my personal opinion though, it's not worth it to get anything other than a Z series so that you can overclock it to about 4.5GHz on all cores using something like a Hyper 212 cooler or something so that it can still keep up more or less with the games and software of today.

Too old for you to install Windows 11 without doing some workaround stuff though because it doesn't have TPM 2.0 built in so just note that you'll be on Windows 10 and older with said system without a workaround. (or Linux if you are into that)

Jan 4, 2023
Hey guys so i want a budget motherboard on amazon , for cpu i7 6700k , i highly believe my mobo is broken cuz i saw resistor on mobo are kinda broken and mobo wont turn on at all so if you guys help me find a good mobo and budget thanks in advance

Check out these options:
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Extreme
GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X Gaming 7
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
ASROCK Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4

logainofhades

Titan
Thanks for the reply

This is the easiest way. Start a fresh build, choose the 6700k, as your processor, and then when you go to motherboards, it will show you boards that have been filtered for compatibility.

This is the easiest way. Start a fresh build, choose the 6700k, as your processor, and then when you go to motherboards, it will show you boards that have been filtered for compatibility.

Problem is, when you do that, they are around $200+. That said, you can nearly buy a new 4C/8T Core i3 + Motherboard for that price. I would search eBay for a sub $100 motherboard you like.

breakingjak431

Prominent
Sep 25, 2022
Thank you all for the reply unfortunately i couldnt find one fit my cpu , even in my country its hard to find one , i did have research on amazon but everytiing was 160 or 170 dollars , so last chance guys , i got 90 dollars on me , can u guys find on amazon one can just fit the i7 6700k? Lets say 100$ thanks so much for the help , its just cuz i got confused

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thank you all for the reply unfortunately i couldnt find one fit my cpu , even in my country its hard to find one , i did have research on amazon but everytiing was 160 or 170 dollars , so last chance guys , i got 90 dollars on me , can u guys find on amazon one can just fit the i7 6700k? Lets say 100$ thanks so much for the help , its just cuz i got confused
You are not going to find what you need on Amazon for your budget ever. This is old technology. You can only buy used second hand on used markets either local or with eBay.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
maybe you can consider buying 12th or 13th gen i3 CPU and cheap 600 series motherboard that takes DDR4 memory, and sell the 6700K. I think you might end up spending similar amount. The performance should be even better.

logainofhades

Titan
maybe you can consider buying 12th or 13th gen i3 CPU and cheap 600 series motherboard that takes DDR4 memory, and sell the 6700K. I think you might end up spending similar amount. The performance should be even better.

I agree with going this route, if at all possible. Even an i3 12100 or 13100, would be a pretty big jump, due to IPC gains.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B760M Pro RS/D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $279.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-12 08:01 EST-0500

Reactions: Exploding PSU