[budget rig] What to do with the fewer money possible?... Challenge: beat my 6 years old laptop!

n3ver

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hi. :wahoo:

[So, the ultra budget rig, using some parts I already have, has the purpose of running latest games better than my old 1700€ laptop (the games that the laptop still launches successfully)... the rest is bellow]

I play in an old Clevo P170HM with a Radeon 6990M [specs here] (but connected to a monitor + keyboard + mouse + LAN, etc.). It's my actual gaming PC. It was good, so I was able to play all games 'till some months ago (untill, and excluding already last cod, bf1, etc.).

Now, that is fine, I'll keep it like that. My dilemma is with another computer + parts that I have left here. Basically there's possibility to build one PC from all that, I just can't figure out which option is better (and what components to complete the chosen rig...).

Graphic's Card: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti (some OC'ed version) – I return it if this doesn't work in the end.

I have:

1st possible build –

Mb: MSI LGA1150 (don't remember which one, but it is one of those mini sized –> bad if I want to buy another 1050ti)

2nd possible build –

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mb: A death Asus P5K [not sure if I can use it if I stick the GPU in the 2nd or 3rd PCIe slots because it is POST'ing for graphic's card error at boot and it happens with 2 diferent and working fine (99% sure), graphics' cards].
RAM: 4 x 1GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz

My question is:

In the 1st possible build I could:
■ Buy a cheap CPU, like I found out there are still Celerons for these sockets at around the same price as a mobo for the "2nd possible build"...
■ I would have to buy some RAM like 1x 4GB 30€ DDR3 @ 1333Mhz or something.

OR

In the 2nd possible buld...:

■ Buy a mobo – I don't see much more than this around:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G41M-VS3-R2-0-Micro-ATX-MotherBoard-1333FSB/dp/B004WJRBUW/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487585930&sr=1-8&keywords=lga775

■ I could keep the old RAM but since I only have 1GB dimms, I would only get 2GB of total RAM in these few mobos that are left (new) with socket (775).
■ So, I guess (?), buy new RAM, same as in the 1st possible rig. (unless I could find a new 4x slots DDR2 mobo...).

It would be much appreciated the help (or discussion) :wahoo: . As I built a few medium-high-end rigs for my friends, and now I'm stuck with this laptop, and I'm short on money, it is actually a funny thing to get a ultra budget PC (desktop) from here with the lowest budget (able to run at least a bit better than my laptop, framerate speaking, cause the "legacy amd drivers" issue of not even being able to run (I mean actually run and get into the menu only) the latest games will be obviously solved...

I think the games I would like to play would be and important factor, right? Since the option of a Celeron (single core) is in the table (or it shouldn't be? lol – that's what I would like to know).

Well, I would like to play BF1 (any graphics settings, doesn't matter), but I only have 7h left on Origin, so I dont' even know if I will end up buying it even if it ends up running fine (in the possible rig).
I play HotS but that doesn't count.....lol
I wanted to play Resident Evil 7 and this one was the first game that I tried where I don't even get to the menu. I get a Dx11 error, and after searching it, I found out it doesn't run in legacy amd cards (those that got stuck with the old drivers).
Well, I think only if I played exclusively one of those games that are don't take advantage of multicore, this would actually matter (like World of Tanks)...

Well, I'm also checking some things about this with my friend Googz meanwhile... :pt1cable:

Thank you.

n3ver

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Thank you for your reply. :) Yes, I saw your answer some days ago and I've been checking, specially that's CPU's results in userbench, and... everywhere (because it's a 70€ CPU...!!!). Its single core power is crazy. But comparing to my 6year old i7 2720qm (on this laptop) it loses in multicore performance stock clocks AND oc'ed.
Anyway that may not matter since the whole build (specially the gpu) will result much better.... ofc :)

n3ver

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Meanwhile I bought more or less that.
The diference is that I already had the mobo (it's a Z87M-G43) and the ram is 8GB @ 2400Mhz since it was only 7 or 8€ more than the 1600Mhz. AND I couldn't find that CPU cause it was sold out everywhere in the physical stores here (I dont want to wait and pay for delivery), so I went with an i3 4170 (50€ more than that pentium)

The problem now is that the graphics card is being pushed by that things that keep the RAM in place (I dont know what are their names in english). I only have my phone atm and it's being hard to find out if the 2nd PCI Ex. slot (for graphics card) is, or isn't, x16. I recall (barely) something about the second slot being x4 or x8... :heink:

The memory latches should pop all the way up when the memory is installed. For the empty slots you should move them into the locked possistion. You need to do this before the GPU is installed. That motherboard has very bad placement for the DIMM slots. The second slot is also 16x but not sure it will work at 16x. Possible 8x but that would work fine for any GPU but the titan.

n3ver

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Yes. The latches are all "closed" lol. It's really small...My friend had this mobo before me and the GPU was barely touching the latches. But look at my graphics card, lol:

http://www.cfd.co.jp/uploads/product/16320/4988755033466-PT05-gvn1050wf2oc2gd.png

Can you notice, from that angle, that the plastic around the card (in the photo it is below) exceeds that "standard" measures. On the side of the DIMM slots it may have got bigger like half milimeter (0,5mm), but it is enough to make the graphics card be a little pushed down only on that side. Anyway, I think the problem was not that. I'm going to put it again in the first PCI-Ex. This second one I've checked on GPUz and it is x4 .. :(
Anyway I never understood these PCI-Ex. speeds (is it the bandwidth?) cause I read on many SLI ready mobos (expensive ones) that for example, if you have only the first card it runs x16, if you have two cards, runs @ x16, x8. And 3 cards, runs at x16, x4, x4.... (this was one of those, I've checked more, only some get x16, x16, for example, or maybe none, I don't remember it).