Buffalo Shows Unannounced External SSD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Desktop model seems quick ... lets see some benches.

Anyone else cringes when they hear/see "ThenderBolt" or "Cloud" word/phrase? Light Peak was much better name IMO.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I believe that Light Peak is Intel's proprietary interface, Thunderbolt is an Apple/Intel offset of this technology.

Not entirely certain, but I would assume Intel renamed it so they can progress with Light Peak without Apple. I may be wrong and it was scraped and thunderbolt is now the only one.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm not sure I see the point of putting an SSD in an enclosure. Yes there fast but by the time you get through all the speed penalties. Put a couple of HDDs in a RAID array and I'm sure you'll get similar performance for a lower cost and get higher capacity.

I'd like to see some benchmarks on these guys. Maybe there's more to these than I can see.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Some of you might laugh, but I've been running my SanDisk SSD in a Buffalo mini station casing for half a year now ever since my laptop fried it's motherboard and my ext Hard Drive gave up :p

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I'm not sure I see the point of putting an SSD in an enclosure. Yes there fast but by the time you get through all the speed penalties. Put a couple of HDDs in a RAID array and I'm sure you'll get similar performance for a lower cost and get higher capacity.I'd like to see some benchmarks on these guys. Maybe there's more to these than I can see.[/citation]

lets take out real world preformance hits for this.

a single hdd gets about 100-150mb sustainable speed. where as most ssds worth mentioning max out their sata version, being about 300 read write and 600 read write (i know those numbers are lower in the real world, but im not looking them up to figure it out)

now to match a single ssd on read write performance, you would need to raid 4-6 hdds

but even with those 4-6 drives, you would never touch the seek time of an ssd, or the io performance of even the worst ones on the market.

and than, you are talking about a 4-6 drive array in raid 0, one drive goes, they all go.

if you are looking for speed, you sacrifice space because if speed was your concern, and space was an issue. you would have 8-12 drices, each costing 100$ and up, apposed to 1 200-400$ drive, who speed isn't even touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.