Buffalo Unveils 256GB IDE-Based SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
For consumers with low budgets, this may be a cheap way to increase performance

WOW US$1200.00 is not a cheap budget well you can get a 256GB SSD PCIE card for that price running at Read: up to 750MB/s Write: up to 500MB/s

WHY USE IDE ??? PART OF A OLD 2004 PC ????
CAN YOU EVEN STILL GET IDE HARDWARE ANYWHERE ?????

Code:
OCZ Z-Drive R2 P84 OCZSSDPX-ZD2P84256G PCI-E 256GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    * $1,195.00
    * $5.99 Shipping

*  PCI-E
    *  256GB
    *  PCI Express

* Sequential Access - Read: up to 750MB/s
    * Sequential Access - Write: up to 500MB/s
    * Power Consumption (Active): 12W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000636%204023&IsNodeId=1&Description=pci%20ssd&name=%241000%20-%20%241250

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]WarraWarra[/nom]WOW US$1200.00 is not a cheap budget well you can get a 256GB SSD PCIE card for that price running at Read: up to 750MB/s Write: up to 500MB/sWHY USE IDE ??? PART OF A OLD 2004 PC ????CAN YOU EVEN STILL GET IDE HARDWARE ANYWHERE ?????Code :OCZ Z-Drive R2 P84 OCZSSDPX-ZD2P84256G PCI-E 256GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) * $1,195.00 * $5.99 Shipping * PCI-E * 256GB * PCI Express * Sequential Access - Read: up to 750MB/s * Sequential Access - Write: up to 500MB/s * Power Consumption (Active): 12Whttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] %20%241250[/citation]
For that price you could buy a new PC!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
whats funny is this was answered in the 9th comment. this will probably not find its way into many actual laptops but rather find its way into industrial use where alot of things manafactured with ide only into it would cost more money than many people myself included will make in a year. so yea when replacing a hardrive and bringing up the boot to restore machinery this is in fact going to have a maret... now a consumer end person putting this in a older laptop i agree that would be pretty retarded

"For consumers with low budgets, this may be a cheap way to increase performance without buying a new motherboard and processor."

"This particular drive will be priced at $1,220 when it hits the market"

OK, on what planet is it cheaper to pay that much for a hard drive than upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM. Hell, forget the upgrades you could buy a whole computer for that price.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
dark-lord69

Like I said, there are industrial usages for older tech that just can't be replaced with new hardware due to proprietary or specialized software/hardware issues.

Some of these systems cost tens of thousands of dollars and either can't be replaced or the replacement costs tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars - which usually can't be justified in this economy.

I just remembered we have an old Sheffield Indicorder (precision roundness and surface profile measuring device) here that used an 8088 cpu which we upgraded a couple years ago to (i think) a 286. We went from a tractor drive printer to a bubble jet and from an 8" monochrome grey/black monitor to 15" CRT AND have a small HDD verses (2) 3.5 floppies

We spent a couple thousand to upgrade it (EBAY parts and a technician visit).

Replacing it would cost over $50,000. It still works - most of the time.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]dark-lord69 Like I said, there are industrial usages for older tech that just can't be replaced with new hardware due to proprietary or specialized software/hardware issues. Some of these systems cost tens of thousands of dollars and either can't be replaced or the replacement costs tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars - which usually can't be justified in this economy.I just remembered we have an old Sheffield Indicorder (precision roundness and surface profile measuring device) here that used an 8088 cpu which we upgraded a couple years ago to (i think) a 286. We went from a tractor drive printer to a bubble jet and from an 8" monochrome grey/black monitor to 15" CRT AND have a small HDD verses (2) 3.5 floppiesWe spent a couple thousand to upgrade it (EBAY parts and a technician visit).Replacing it would cost over $50,000. It still works - most of the time.[/citation]
This is made for netbooks and other devices like it but the price tag is horrible. Sure if it was made for professional equipment then it might a little better. Plus the IDE cable caps the transfer rate at the normal HHDs speeds.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]This is made for netbooks and other devices like it but the price tag is horrible. Sure if it was made for professional equipment then it might a little better. Plus the IDE cable caps the transfer rate at the normal HHDs speeds.[/citation]

I am hopign that this was actually initially made for industrial use and that some reporter somewhere decided that it was meant for an ssd for older laptops... if the company made these with laptop users in mind then they may have accidently stepped in a gold mine .. sucess by complete failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS