Question Bug check code 307/278

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hi there, i have a little problem.

First there is my setup

R5 3600 with aio
rtx 2070 ventus
16gb 3000mhz ram
aorus b450 elite motherboard
corsair rm650x psu
kingston a2000 nvme ssd
aoc c27g1 144hz freesync monitor

My problem is that in last 2 moths(it happened 4 times) my pc randomly restarts when im browsing web or playing games, it just freezes i hear voices on discord and just restarts, or it just freezes and restarts(without voicess of my friends on discord) after this i go to event viewer and i get kernel power 41 error and 2types of bug check codes one is 307 and other is 278, i found out that 278 is something with drivers so i reinstalled them trought ddu but it doesnt help aaand i didnt found what is 307 code. Is there any possible fix or something? Im asking because ive got problem with freesync too, it flickers a lot and i reclaim the monitor but problem still presists so it possibly can be something with GPU.

btw. my setup is 8 months old and ive got no problems with fps or performance problems, only bad freesync and this bug check codes

edit: in some games i have half vsync turned on(locked on 72fps, half of refresh rate because my freesync isnt working) and gpu usage is about 70% but when this freeze came it goes to 100% in a sec.(i was playing forza horizon 4 now and i have opened hw monitor on second monitor, that is how i find out, btw all tempatures are good)

Thanks for any help and answers.

Last edited:

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay, im running driver verifier now. I selected all drivers wich arent provided by microsoft corporation and i find out (in program whocrashed wich debug bugchecks)that only nvldmkm.sys is only driver not provided by microsoft corporation wich causes crashes, other drivers are ntoskrnl.sys and amdppm.sys and they are provided by microsoft corporation wich i didnt check because of tutorial in link wich you send. Should i select this drivers after this driver verifier "process" will be completed

Here is bug check caused by driver wich is not microsoft provided

crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201028-1739.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8073D40C188)
Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFFC18D43A52460, 0xFFFFF8073D40C188, 0x0, 0x33EC)
Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_feed726c6560f7a7\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 456.71
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 456.71
Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 456.71 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

And here are bug checks caused by driver wich are microsoft provided

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102820-6390-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F45A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF802260FB320, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0x2ec7)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF802260FB320, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

Btw. sorry for lot of questions but i lost a hope with this problem but i dont want to broke my pc.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay im here after driver verifier running for 20hrs. My pc doesnt even crash. Now i wanted to play forza horizon 4, same crash nvlddmkm.sys bug check code 0x141.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay, i was sendig a ticket to corsair about my psu voltages(rm650x), i send them my psu voltage curve when i was playing some games and they said they would replace the psu because there are a lot of high spikes.

Here is pic.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CoT5WIY

Can it have connection with that my freesync isnt working as it should?, sometimes it blinks, sometimes it just dont work, sometimes it works only when i disable fullscreen optimalizations, is there any connection with that?

So im going to replace psu and ill be back with news after replacing psu

Thanks a lot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Turn driver verifer off if you haven't already. I had 36 hours of rain/storms so wasn't able to get back on until recently.

ntoskrnl is the windows kernel. Its not a driver really, its more the heart and brains of windows. . It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. If a driver asks it to do something it can't, it crashes. and Windows has no choice but to follow. Its mission critical.

Now if Nvidia drivers are pointed as being bad, you need to replace them with different ones. Run DDU and install different drivers from Nvidia or after the restart, run windows update and allow windows to install older Nvidia drivers for it

until you replace those drivers, the other BSOD you get could also be caused by them.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
I already did that before, i tried rerolling drivers to older(windows updated), to latest and nothing worked, reinstalling drivers doesnt fix my problem.

btw. i write to corsair support and we talk about voltage of my psu, i send them +12, +3,3 and +5 voltages idle and they said they are fine. Then i decided to send them ingame voltages and when i send them ingame they said that they strongly recommend to replace psu. Can this be the problem? Can it have some connection that my freesync is buggy sometimes?(like somtimes it works, sometimes not, blinking etc...)

here is image of ingame voltages what do you think about it?

View: https://imgur.com/a/BjOIBb6

Let's clear a few things up.
  • Depending on the options you select to let driver verifier verify, things may get sluggish. Using the options I provided in my previous post, that normally does not happen.
  • Depending on the options selected, driver verifier does create unexpected situations to catch drivers improperly handling those situations, but that's only if you select those options. There are only a few options, though, that will massively impact the performance which are NOT given in my previous post.
  • You should run driver verifier for at least a few days (48 hours), the result of some options improve as driver verifier is running longer.
  • You can run driver verifier over night, but you can also shut down your computer. Driver verifier will start again when the computer is booting, note that driver verifier will start all over again. It does not keep a state of things.
Still going through all the posts that I missed to see if anything else needs clarification.

Colif, been busy with school and internship and will remain so too for the rest of the year.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hi, yes i noticed that with your settings pc doesnt lag when verifier is running.
After test i type verifier /reset to turn it off so im sure that verifier is not running now, and when verifier was running and i tried to reboot pc and it boots slower but normal and no crash after 20hours so i dont know where is the problem with my pc. Reinstalling drivers is not working on my pc.

Thanks for reply

The Microsoft link on driver verifier suggests enabling nearly all settings except for one that is known to cause performance problems, but that's not the only one as you noticed. Amongst the ones requested to check are some that should only be run against specific drivers to have the desired effect.

The list of settings I gave is based on issues that are the most common to occur.

Continue to run driver verifier for at least 2 days.

Yes and no, run it with the settings I provided with only non-Microsoft drivers.

Those drivers did not cause crashes. The cause of those crashes is a result of a cumulative effect from multiple DPCs, possibly from multiple drivers, being unable to finish their jobs in a timely manner. The program WhoCrashed may be able to perform limited analysis on the crashes, but from what I have seen it rarely is the real cause that WhoCrashed reports. WhoCrashed simply cannot perform an analysis that is sufficient, which can only be done manually in this case. I do not expect WhoCrashed will have looked into which DPCs caused the crashes, in one of the results that's not even possible.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hey, im going to run the driver verifier(i cant earlier because of online lessions) can i use the pc like normally just wait to crash? Or i can damage the system. Im not doing anythig that i need to have saved, just playing games, browsing internet etc...

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay, im here after nearly 50hours of running driver verifier.My pc doesnt crash, it was only acting strange, sometimes lag, games that were running at 144fps were running at 80, etc..
What now when my pc doesnt crash?

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Before running driver verifier there were a crashes, we were talking about them, After driver verifier there was same crashes, bug check 278 but i find out something. I turn on pc start a game it turn off after 10minutes, it restarts and after restart its working normally for whole day and it restarts after 10hrs of using. Is that normal?(it happens almost everyday)
In my opinion its psu, because of that what corssair said and because when i was running driver verifier i was only getting like 80fps on game wich was running on 144+fps when driver verifier is turned off so pc wasnt in that much load because it was limited by drivers testing(if i understand good) so it doesnt turn off because psu dont have to give that lot power.(pls write if u dont understand me im not that good in english)

This is just my opinion,

Last edited:

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
I find out that in 42 events in event viewer there are bug checks 278, 307 and one is 59 that idicates something bad with ram, isnt it like when im having lot of bug checks, freezing etc..., it can be motherboard too.(btw i dont think its ram i run memtest86 without problems) im going to try run memtest again for sure.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Now, my pc restarts after crash as usually and doesnt want to boot, just little"_" was showing at right top on motnitor and i saw red light on motherboard and nex to it it says VGA and i must hard restart, my monitors sometimes start restarting like for 30 seconds nonstop, idk what is going on. Im 60% sure its gpu and 40% thats its psu, because of not working freesync, random monitor restarting like on/off, these bug checks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS