Question Bugged B550 Motherboard

Apr 28, 2020
Hi people. I believe I have a pretty unique problem with my new motherboard. I just bought a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk. Turned out it was DOA. Didnt post at all, could barely power it up sometimes. Returned it and few days later a new one arrives. Just as the first one, this one is bugged out, and barely boots windows after artifacting for a few seconds. The funny thing is, I can turn the PC on only after disconnecting all the peripherals and display cable. With them plugged in, MB is impossible to turn on. Now, all the components plugged into it were working properly on MSI B450 Pro-A, but here I have a big problem. I just leave the PC on sleep mode when not using it because I am affraid to turn it off lol. Besides that, Ram sticks are also new, but tested on forementioned B450 and are working fine. I have a hard time believing I got 2 broken motherboards in a matter of days so I believe the problem lays in compatibility with some components. Btw. BIOS is updated to latest version. My component list is as follows. Picture of the prepost screen is included.
MB MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
CPU Ryzen 3600
GPU XFX RX580 GTS
PSU BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W Gold
SSD Samsung Evo 860 (1x250gb + 1x500gb)
RAM Patriot Viper Steel 3600 CL17

Any new ideas or advices are welcome. Pardon my english, not my native language. Thanks people.

View: https://imgur.com/Z1gf4oT
Link to artifacting image

Apr 28, 2020
When you installed the B550 did you update the UEFI for it if one is available?

Did you re-install Windows since this hardware change? You should as it can cause issues.

UEFI is updated, but windows is still the old one, with new drivers installed with no change in performance and stability as far as I can notice. Once I have more info, I'll share it. It could take time cuz I work a lot so there's no much time to tinker with the system. Any further ideas are welcome.

Christian_63

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
I am sorry to post so late, but I had the EXACT same problem, including that part where you asked a new mobo and the new one came with the same issue.

I solved my problem changing my Display Port cable to a HDMI cable. 100% SOLVED, including the artifacts that I had too.

Apr 28, 2020
I am sorry to post so late, but I had the EXACT same problem, including that part where you asked a new mobo and the new one came with the same issue.

I solved my problem changing my Display Port cable to a HDMI cable. 100% SOLVED, including the artifacts that I had too.
I still have the same problem. Tried 2 monitors and 2 HDMI and 2 DP cables and problem still persists. I have to stick to my expensive DP cable in order to use 165hz refresh on 2k res. System boots just fine after this post screen and I still don't have the solution. Everything else works stable. Sometimes my GPU ramps up fans to 100% when idle for a few seconds, sometimes wakes me up at night lol, so I think there could be a problem with GPU. Don't have any other ideas.