Build #1 FAIL... What now?

sakeefahasan

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
So I had just worked on my first PC build after about 3 months of heavy research on the parts and setup. I figured I was ready from here.

PC PART LIST: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheBreadBakery/saved/

The computer was nearly done. All I had to do was install windows 10 and both drivers. What a feat this would be if I had finally finished my build after such a long time, not to mention again my first! I plugged in the PC, turned it on, and watched as the RGB on the mobo lit up, all the necessary lights on it lit up, and the CPU fan turned on. The GPU fans however did not turn on, yet a small white LED lit up, leading me to believe that it SHOULD still work. I plugged in a DVI and was ready to start my new..... experience? No video had output to my monitor, regardless of what port I plugged it into. (GPU and MOBO.) After rechecking wiring, I was stumped, and went to the local best buy geek squad to get it checked out. After a few hours of testing, I came back with the results that either my MOBO pcle slots were busted, my GPU was a DOA, or my PSU was not strong enough. (I did try using a 800W bronze but nothing much changed.) We tried booting the PC only on the i5 integrated graphics, yet even that didnt work, leading me to believe that even that could be a DOA. 

long story short, I was unsuccessful with my first build, either to whatever POSSIBLE stupid error I had done, or just up TO 3 DOA PARTS. At this point I guess returning parts could be an option, then reordering some for trial #2. Yet is returning even an option? (all parts purchased trough amazon) I threw out my anti static bags that came with the GPU and MOBO, however I do still have the boxes, manuals, and accessories. Is returning something I should try doing at this point? Or is there another option. 

---If anyone would like to look at my PC, I can still supply pictures at peoples demand.

Solution

They ain't worried about the manual or the bag. It's the motherboard that they care...
Go back to the same geeks and test each part at a time with substitutes. They should have substitutes. When you find the source(most likely faulty motherboard or cpu in your case), find that box and apply for RMA. As long as you have the bill, that should be your warranty card, nothing else matters.

sakeefahasan

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

We tried 2 GPU substitutes, a 1040 and some very weak card; none of them worked. We figured it may be the cpu or JUST the mobo pcle slots, however it could go farther than that,

(also for returning, lets say the gpu, how would I go about that? I threw out the antistatic bag it came with; would I just need to purchase one and put it in?)

sakeefahasan

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

My monitor allows for a DVI-D and VGA port. I tried both, and even a DVI-D to VGA, nothing worked.

If none of the GPU worked, then it is not likely a GPU issue. You dont need to return the card in that case.
My point was to test the board with another spare cpu or vice versa. Then you can be certain whether it is the board or the chip. It cannot be any further than that.

They ain't worried about the manual or the bag. It's the motherboard that they care about. The original box is a plus. Using some packing supplies to immobilize it is also appreciated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html is a checklist that may include a step you haven't thought of.

Solution

DVI-D to VGA would need an active adapter