[SOLVED] Build advice, all new, or can I use some parts I have.

Mojofingers1

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Looking to upgrade or build new,

Current rig
Mother board: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3-CF
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Ram 2 x 8 Gigabyte DDR3 sticks.. total: 16 gigs ddr3 ram
Power supply: 700 watt
Monitor, 2k
Case: Fractal Focus G

Main usage:
Gaming > Video editing

Budget:
$2000 - 2500$ Canadian - $1600 - $2000 USD

Timeframe:
No rush, can wait for sales.

I would like to get an RTX 3060 or maybe a 3070 and not have to upgrade for another 5-7 years again.

It looks like I would have to upgrade everything I think, is there anything salvageable in this other than the RAM and power supply maybe?

If nothing is salvageable could I please ask for some build advice on what parts to look into please, I don't want to bottleneck the new GPU.

Thank you very much for your help and advice, I work a full-time job and run a business, my time lately has been very little outside of work to spend time with research. price hunting I can do!

Cheers
Mojofingers

Solution
could I please ask for some build advice on what parts to look into please
i would be going for the new Intel Core 12th generation CPUs.
for average gaming systems their i5-12400F is very capable, even beating the 10th & 11th gen i7 series CPUs in a lot of scenarios.
for a higher-end build the i7-12700K is an awesome product for any usage.
the i5-12600K is also a great mid-range option that still blows away pretty much all older gaming options out there.

if you're aiming for an RTX 3070 i would probably stick with one of the 12th gen i5 series.
but if you may want to up your game a bit and go with the 12700K, i'd probably also go for a 3080 Ti or 3090 to get the best gaming results possible.

the new 12th gen compatible...
is there anything salvageable in this other than the RAM and power supply maybe?
any drives can still be carried over.
you'd just want to wipe the OS drive and install fresh with a new motherboard.

your DDR3 RAM is not compatible with any modern CPU series.
DDR4 is the current majority standard and DDR5 is just making it's way into the market recently.

depending on the make & model of the power supply and the time it has been in use there is a good chance you could carry it over for some of the current series' mid-tiered graphics cards.
i believe the RTX 3070 Ti is where 750w becomes the normal requirement.

Reactions: Mojofingers1
could I please ask for some build advice on what parts to look into please
i would be going for the new Intel Core 12th generation CPUs.
for average gaming systems their i5-12400F is very capable, even beating the 10th & 11th gen i7 series CPUs in a lot of scenarios.
for a higher-end build the i7-12700K is an awesome product for any usage.
the i5-12600K is also a great mid-range option that still blows away pretty much all older gaming options out there.

if you're aiming for an RTX 3070 i would probably stick with one of the 12th gen i5 series.
but if you may want to up your game a bit and go with the 12700K, i'd probably also go for a 3080 Ti or 3090 to get the best gaming results possible.

the new 12th gen compatible motherboards come with both DDR4 or DDR5 options.
if you're looking to spend a bit more and have some bragging rights for the next couple years DDR5 offers some higher frequency modules.
but DDR4 is still perfectly fine and quite a bit less money.

if you haven't moved up already already i would also be only using SSD storage for OS, applications, and games.
keep any HDDs you already have for backup and personal storage options.
you can get some good priced smaller(~500Gb) M.2 drives for the OS & applications
and larger(2-4TB) 2.5" SSD for game installations.

Last edited:
Solution
This thread in the link might help.