Question Build for parents - budget is about $450 - how is this one?

SixFootEwok

Honorable
Jun 11, 2016
Title!
Here's what I had so far and was within their budget, but wanted to see if there's ways I could save them even more money but stay in solidly reliable territory: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F7fDKp

Specifically looking at the processor - 5600G might be a little overkill? This is the usual parent usage: light internet, google office suite, videos, maybe some light photoshop (think sub 50mb files).

Any other questions, let me know!

kanewolf

Titan
Title!
Here's what I had so far and was within their budget, but wanted to see if there's ways I could save them even more money but stay in solidly reliable territory: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F7fDKp

The 5600G might be a little overkill? This is the usual parent usage: light internet, google office suite, videos, maybe some light photoshop (think sub 50mb files).

Any other questions, let me know!
Get a Dell refurb. They get to call Dell rather than you.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Get a Dell refurb. They get to call Dell rather than you.

This. Everytime someone not computer-oriented ask me about PC builds, I always point them to buy either laptops or prebuilts (Lenovo is my go to, but that's just me). I'm all in for helping people with their computer needs, but... there comes a point when there's too much questions to be answered (trust me, been there).

Funnily enough, the only exception for me is my parents. I mean, they're my parents, I'd do anything for them.

But that's just me. That part list look fine to me, albeit I still wonder if you might want to pick an A-series motherboard instead to save a bit more money, or a SATA SSD so you could fit in a larger capacity drive in the budget?

Also, no peripherals? Just asking because in my experience it happens way too often that people splurged all their budget into the build and forgetting that they need a monitor / keyboard to actually use the computer, so they ended up plugging it awkardly to the living room's TV and bought a cheap $3 keyboard-and-mouse pack that's awful to use, look at, interact with, or be seen with.

SixFootEwok

Honorable
Jun 11, 2016
This. Everytime someone not computer-oriented ask me about PC builds, I always point them to buy either laptops or prebuilts (Lenovo is my go to, but that's just me). I'm all in for helping people with their computer needs, but... there comes a point when there's too much questions to be answered (trust me, been there).

Funnily enough, the only exception for me is my parents. I mean, they're my parents, I'd do anything for them.

But that's just me. That part list look fine to me, albeit I still wonder if you might want to pick an A-series motherboard instead to save a bit more money, or a SATA SSD so you could fit in a larger capacity drive in the budget?

Also, no peripherals? Just asking because in my experience it happens way too often that people splurged all their budget into the build and forgetting that they need a monitor / keyboard to actually use the computer, so they ended up plugging it awkardly to the living room's TV and bought a cheap $3 keyboard-and-mouse pack that's awful to use, look at, interact with, or be seen with.
Oh, so, I've built plenty before, and my mother has all the peripherals. The post is really just asking about the lower end AMD's because I'm not too familiar with them and it's been a minute since my last build. Whenever I build I sort of go right up the ladder to gaming / mid tier performance, so I'm not too familiar with how the more vanilla stuff tracks. I don't mind her asking me questions if it borks, seeing as by and large they behave themselves. Re: storage, she's using maybe 100gb on her current laptop, so 500 is fine.

Last edited:

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Oh, so, I've built plenty before, and my mother has all the peripherals. The post is really just asking about the lower end AMD's because I'm not too familiar with them and it's been a minute since my last build. Whenever I build I sort of go right up the ladder to gaming / mid tier performance, so I'm not too familiar with how the more vanilla stuff tracks. I don't mind her asking me questions if it borks, seeing as by and large they behave themselves. Re: storage, she's using maybe 100gb on her current laptop, so 500 is fine.

Well in that case, I don't see anything wrong with your list. 5600G is a good CPU, and I'm a believer it's a good idea to pick a CPU with more power than you need today if you can afford it just so it can last longer. I mean, I picked an i7-6700 for my dad years ago (which sounds wildly overkill back then for his usage), but recently even he could notice the CPU struggles to do some tasks he usually does.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you live with your parents, or they live so close that you see them on the regular, that's one thing, but if they are several hours or more away, it maybe weeks or months between visits, and mom needed the pc fixed yesterday because her Cri-Cut projects are backing up....

TRENDING THREADS