Build Help - 2-way SLI slots 1 and 3 on an Asus x99 Deluxe with an i7 5820k

vinnymendes

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Hi everyone,

I need some help. I recently purchased the MSI Gaming SLI bridge to use on my setup so I can use my two 980 gtx's in style :D

The problem is having the cards in slots 1 and 3 will not give me the SLI option in the Nvidia Control Panel. I understand that using the SLI switch on the board will light up LEDs and it prefers slots 1 and 4 but the bridge won't reach that far.

Is there a work around? Or am I just going to have to ditch this cool looking bridge for a less cooler looking, but longer one.

Thanks!!

Solution
I have a very similar setup, same motherboard, CPU, and 2-way SLI. I'm using is slots 1 & 4 for a x16/x8 lane setup for the GPUs. No problem this way. However, I'm guessing its the way ASUS arranged things in motherboard design, as the manual is very specific on what can be used where. I however cannot move my cards to test, as they're watercooled in a fixed position. There are no settings in UEFI to change number of lanes available per slot that I recall. Only Gen2 or Gen3 option I think. I'm guessing it defaults to a x4 with 2way setup you're trying to achieve, which SLI doesn't support as it requires x8 minimum. BTW, sounds like you got a nice setup :)
I have a very similar setup, same motherboard, CPU, and 2-way SLI. I'm using is slots 1 & 4 for a x16/x8 lane setup for the GPUs. No problem this way. However, I'm guessing its the way ASUS arranged things in motherboard design, as the manual is very specific on what can be used where. I however cannot move my cards to test, as they're watercooled in a fixed position. There are no settings in UEFI to change number of lanes available per slot that I recall. Only Gen2 or Gen3 option I think. I'm guessing it defaults to a x4 with 2way setup you're trying to achieve, which SLI doesn't support as it requires x8 minimum. BTW, sounds like you got a nice setup :)

Solution

vinnymendes

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Thanks! I'm working on custom sleeving all the power cables now, definitely more work that I had originally thought haha, and then one day soon convert to liquid cooling. I'll have to look more into sli bridges that can reach, so far the largest solid bridge I've found is this 60mm one I have. I think I need around 80mm to make it from slot 1 to 4.
Really wish there was a work around for this for now :/

I'm using Nvidia's own solid 80mm bridge myself. I ordered it direct from their site. Been working fine for me. Custom sleeving should go nice w/ your build. I "cheated" and bought extensions myself. I can't say 100% there isn't a work around, but I do find it pretty unlikely for using the 2 slots you originally planned. Also, when you get things setup the way you want, it would be nice to see some pics :D