[SOLVED] Build Help, Another Build Thread!

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
Hi guys,
Have been trying to figure out what is going to suit me best for video content and gaming and I think I've reached a decision that will suit my workflow and leisure activities. Years ago I had reached out to the TH community and they steered me in the right direction, I think I've got a better hold on things this time around but need someone to run it by. Ideally I want to dedicate as much time as possible to the content creation and am wondering if I can dial it back on the GPU while maintaining performance in PremierePro. My first gaming build was fun and lasted me to this day, but I wound up reverting to older games which I love instead of making good on committing to all the new hottest games that were hitting the market. However when I try to edit with this machine in 2020, it is far from optimum, its doable for sure but proxy creation and rendering are big bottlenecks. So what do you guys think? I had a Ryzen 9 loaded in this but dialed back, might it be wise to dial back the GPU as well in lieu of the prediction I have that I'll only wind up gaming 2 hrs a day/night ? Thanks in advance!

CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor$271.99 @ Walmart
MotherboardMSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard$114.99 @ Best Buy
MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory$157.99 @ Newegg
StorageSamsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive$99.95 @ Amazon
StorageSeagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive$53.99 @ Amazon
Video CardMSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card$414.99 @ B&H
CaseDIYPC Shadow-H01 ATX Mid Tower Case-
Power SupplyCorsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply$144.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates)$1273.89
Mail-in rebates-$15.00
Total$1258.89

PC Part Picker List

Solution
Also, this is just me checking to make sure you are aware of this. The motherboard you have chosen does NOT have built-in wifi. You will either need to hook it up to ethernet or buy an add-in wifi card. If you do want a motherboard with wifi capabilities I would recommend the MSI B450 gaming carbon pro ac. (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t7...atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac ) It's kinda pricey but it's pretty good. If you want a slightly cheaper option the gigabyte b450 board(https://pcpartpicker.com/product/43...tx-am4-motherboard-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10 ) also comes with built-in wifi.

PS: DO NOT buy the MSI board for the 450 amazon...

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Also, this is just me checking to make sure you are aware of this. The motherboard you have chosen does NOT have built-in wifi. You will either need to hook it up to ethernet or buy an add-in wifi card. If you do want a motherboard with wifi capabilities I would recommend the MSI B450 gaming carbon pro ac. (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t7...atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac ) It's kinda pricey but it's pretty good. If you want a slightly cheaper option the gigabyte b450 board(https://pcpartpicker.com/product/43...tx-am4-motherboard-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-rev-10 ) also comes with built-in wifi.

PS: DO NOT buy the MSI board for the 450 amazon is asking. If you can find it for 150 its a good deal but 450 is ridiculous.

Solution

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015

PS: DO NOT buy the MSI board for the 450 amazon is asking. If you can find it for 150 its a good deal but 450 is ridiculous.

Thanks, Andrew. I think I was going in the direction of a wired connection. I have a WiFi card on my current PC and I want to get away from it but I guess I can always buy one if it comes to that. Apparently there is a nationwide motherboard shortage right now so the price reflected seems to be a outcome of scarcity. The motherboard you suggested seems great but again, the prices are ALL over the place. NewEgg has it listed for 160 but out of stock, BestBuy is in stock but its around $230! I'm trying to get at least 5 years of great video editing performance out of this ? Do you think I need to throw more money at it or should I dial something back? It looks like that second motherboard you suggested wouldnt be compatible with my CPU , unless i'm missing something, pretty big novice over here.

Last edited:

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Your motherboard will work just fine, it's actually one of the best B450s out there. For gaming your cpu is overkill with a 2060, creating a bottleneck in performance. For video editing however, I think it may be more cpu intensive making your cpu a good choice.

Really its more a personal question. If you want a slightly beefier cpu for video editing or spec chasing the 3700x will be a great pick. You could however run with a 3600 and be just fine as well. Its up to you.

Also if anyone here does a lot of video editing can you wigh in on if a beefier cpu is a big boon to it?

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
Your motherboard will work just fine, it's actually one of the best B450s out there. For gaming your cpu is overkill with a 2060, creating a bottleneck in performance. For video editing however, I think it may be more cpu intensive making your cpu a good choice.

Really its more a personal question. If you want a slightly beefier cpu for video editing or spec chasing the 3700x will be a great pick. You could however run with a 3600 and be just fine as well. Its up to you.

Also if anyone here does a lot of video editing can you wigh in on if a beefier cpu is a big boon to it?

So are you saying I should beef up my GPU? Im struggling to understand which direction the bottleneck flows in?

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
I said 2060 super and then 2060. There are two variants 2060(non super) and 2060 super. The 2060 super encodes a fair bit faster then the 2060(non-super).
I said 2060 super and then 2060. There are two variants 2060(non super) and 2060 super. The 2060 super encodes a fair bit faster then the 2060(non-super).

Ok, understood. Thanks for clarification.

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
Well now I think I'm pushing the limits of what I would actually want to spend and it seems like I'll probably have to add at least a new monitor. Some of these components are not even available right now which seems like a common issue. I'm wondering where I could shave off unnecessaries and optimize video editing performance for a couple years, I know I'm not going to be logging mega hours on Call of Duty or anything new, I feel like I'm overdoing it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.47 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($549.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1630.88

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I'm not familiar with b550 prices but it seems like you should be able to get a cheaper mobo than that that's still good. I don't know why your getting a micro atx motherboard in a mid tower case. It just seems kinda counter intuitive tbh. You could get one of the cheaper non wireless motherboards since you're planning to use a wired connection anyway and save yourself 20-50 bucks.

empiregamer22

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
I'm not familiar with b550 prices but it seems like you should be able to get a cheaper mobo than that that's still good. I don't know why your getting a micro atx motherboard in a mid tower case. It just seems kinda counter intuitive tbh. You could get one of the cheaper non wireless motherboards since you're planning to use a wired connection anyway and save yourself 20-50 bucks.

I don't know why I'm doing it either, the concern is about motherboard size? Can you explain to me what's counterintuitive about it if you dont mind? I'm trying to weed through so much information about computers and its far from my forte.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Atx boards have more options for expansion, such as another m.2 slot and more pci-e slot. If you don't expect using all the pci-e slots(many don't) or the other m.2 slot if it has one, there will be no difference from m-atx other then the board not filling up all the space in the case.
Yeah. It may be easier to build with as well, and will probably look a bit better with the board filling up all the space.

The main thing though is, why get a big case if you're using smaller parts? If you're going with a micro atx mobo why not go ahead and make an sff build?