Build Strictly for Producing Music (Ableton)

framesjanco

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
well the ol mac book pro is hittin the shitter, can i curse on here, the pooper and now i need a desktop for music production. Below is what i put together from PPP, and while they said it would all be compatible i just wanted to get yalls take on these parts to see if i should change anything.

you guys are the best!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FmJPXH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FmJPXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $800.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-30 18:37 EDT-0400

Questions:
1. do i even need a gpu or a cooler? i'm trying to get the bare bones i need right now and maybe upgrade down the road if i wanna game or for movies.
2. will i see any noticeable difference by swapping out for an i7? i dont need anything overkill but ableton does tend to be cpu heavy program and im building this to eliminate the lag and freezing that plagued my macbook pro.
3. motherboards confuse me and im not sure if the one i picked has the right ports and whatnot. i will be using a focusrite scarlett audio interface along with a bunch of other usb powered devices so can they all be hooked up? i dont plan on overclocking ever so i shouldn't get the Z170 correct?
3a. will the power supply be enough if i am used usb bus powered midi controllers and whatnot?

Solution
You dont need a GPU because there is already integrated graphics.If your only going to be using it for music and maybe light gaming you will be fine.

No you dont need a I7. If you think you need an I7 get a graphics card first.

That is a nice motherboard it will work for what you need.

Yes that power supply is enough for what your specs are and it leaves room for an I7 and/or a GPU

Ibreakthings

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
You dont need a GPU because there is already integrated graphics.If your only going to be using it for music and maybe light gaming you will be fine.

No you dont need a I7. If you think you need an I7 get a graphics card first.

That is a nice motherboard it will work for what you need.

Yes that power supply is enough for what your specs are and it leaves room for an I7 and/or a GPU

Solution

framesjanco

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Appreciate it dood, I'd give ya gold but this ain't reddit!! I'll def grab that ram instead.

Now being somewhat of an idiot, while be it with an engineering degree, should
I have any issues putting this rig together myself? The plan is to just surf the web for tutorials and whatnot on assembling everything. If you know of any good resources (ie youtube channel or something) that would help I would be much appreciated!