building $800 PC

rietetsu

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
So I do alot of online gaming and I've been saving up to build my own PC, now that I've saved up $800 I think I may be at a good place to start looking for stuff to build my PC.

I want to run games like vindictus, tera, guild wars 2, and soon to be blade and soul and rise of incarnates with no problem on fairly high settings if not the highest

first question, is that even possible my budget being $800 complete max being $900?

If so great, if not what would be the best I could do for this amount of money?

my knowledge of pc building is very minuscule but i'm willing to do my homework.

thanks in advance!

Solution
For any locked 1150 socket build (no CPU overclocking) and any single GPU configuration (again, at factory clock speeds), there is absolutely no need for anything more than a well made 450W PSU. If you want some evidence to support this, look at some of the official Steam Machine's. 450W PSU's are commonplace even when paired with GTX780Ti's.

Even running Prime95+Furmark an 1150 socket system with an i5 and a GTX780 is only going to pull ~400W from the PSU. Any well made PSU in this class will have ample overhead already built into the design, so there's no real need to oversize any further than this. The SuperFlower made Capstone 450W is always my favorite pick for any non-OCing 1150 socket single GPU build.

Most multiplayer/online...

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
That build will do you plenty fine. if you want to get into over clocking however you will need slightly different parts and more then likely go over your $900 max budget.
But you shouldn't need to push that system, I have something similar with no graphics card and it is a beast.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Yes, it's possible to build a decent gaming computer with $800 USD if you're from the United States. I'll create a list of components for you, but before I do, please may I ask do you require any other peripherals? Such as a monitor, keyboard/mouse or a WiFi adapter (most motherboards don't have WiFi built in)?

P.S. Do you also need to purchase a Windows OS license?

All the best. :)

DHFF's build looks reasonable.
If you'd like to get closer to $800, some things you can do include: 1) get rid of the cooler (not needed for a locked CPU, and the stock Intel cooler is reasonably quiet); 2) get rid of one of the fans, possibly both if the case has at least one stock; 3) a R9 270X can pretty much max GW2; that's basically a rebadged HD7870, which is what I have. I have felt no need to install the HD7970 I originally bought for mining 1.5+ years ago. That or a GTX660Ti will meet your needs for less money than the R9 280.
That's a good deal on a good PSU; if the 550W model is cheaper though, it is also sufficient for this build.
Do be aware that some of the prices involve rebates which is a game that not everyone wins.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Very true Onus, I included the cooler out of habit but its not really needed for a stock system. that will save you a few dollars. The Fans I included are a nice addition but not 100% needed and certainly something you can add after the fact. the Corsair 300R comes with (1) 120mm Fan and (1) 140mm Fan. both are fairly lackluster though, which is why I always slip in a pair of Enermax or Phanteks.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
DHFF: Your build includes mail-in rebates, hence any buyer of your build will have to pay $920.69 upfront. They then have to apply for the rebates.

OP: If you don't need an OS, keyboard/mouse, and monitor I would go with the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($204.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $803.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 11:06 EDT-0400

The Xeon E3-1231 v3 CPU I have selected performs similar to the i7-4770, it's quad-core with Hyper Threading (HT). I've also tied in 8GB RAM and a R9 280, all of which should run all your desired games with ease. You should be able to run your desired games at maximum graphical quality at 1080p without any issues.

I've also included a SeaSonic 520W PSU, which is a semi-modular unit. This will assist in your cable management, hence why I would recommend modular instead of fully wired. The case is the Corsair 300R, which as mentioned already includes two case fans.

I typically add another fan to my cases too, but I also try to keep to the low end of buyers' budgets. Fans can always be added later.
It's worth noting in this context that the HD7970 (the R9 280 is a rebadge of that one) may run hot, adding a lot of splash heat to your case. If you are not overly concerned with future-resistance, the R9 270X tends to run cooler, and there are versions of the GTX660Ti (e.g. some EVGA) that exhaust their heat.

Check this build with GTX 770

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $815.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 11:14 EDT-0400

rietetsu

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
@obnoixious

I do already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, wifi connectivity isn't completely necessary because chances are im plugging it in straight to my wall anyways, what I do need is an OS which I do believe is ~$90 so I will keep that in mind. and I do live in the U.S.

@Onus

I did see the mail in rebates took out a pretty big chunk of that amount, and I don't even know how to play that game of rebates haha

Ethan, unfortunately your build will not do well. GW2 is poorly threaded, so the FX-8350 will not do as well as even an i3. The GT740 is also an entry-level card, that will probably manage only "medium" settings. While certainly playable, I don't think it meets the OP's performance goals.
Obnoxious, that's an interesting selection; perhaps a cheaper Xeon would work as well and save some money? At the lower end, I definitely prefer ASRock to MSI; MSI's high-end boards are as good as anyone's though.

rietetsu

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for all the answers guys! And really quick too lol

So now I just need the knowledge, so far what I've found as far as building pcs is for specific builds, I need more of a general approach,starting from the basics, what to and not to do, what I need and so on, like I said I have very little knowledge on building a PC and don't want to mess this up!

Thanks again

NeweggTV (a channel on YouTube) has quite a few build videos, and there are others there too. If you have even modest dexterity and eyesight, it is not very difficult. Most connectors only fit one way, and your mobo manual will have illustrations and diagrams as well.

logainofhades

Titan
Here is a build near your max. I love the Xeon chip, but it really isn't necessary for what you are playing.

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($348.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $896.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 12:20 EDT-0400

Thanks. Yes, there are so many ways of building a PC with different configurations. Honestly, I don't recommend Xeon just for gaming. No need for that at all.

mdocod

Distinguished
For any locked 1150 socket build (no CPU overclocking) and any single GPU configuration (again, at factory clock speeds), there is absolutely no need for anything more than a well made 450W PSU. If you want some evidence to support this, look at some of the official Steam Machine's. 450W PSU's are commonplace even when paired with GTX780Ti's.

Even running Prime95+Furmark an 1150 socket system with an i5 and a GTX780 is only going to pull ~400W from the PSU. Any well made PSU in this class will have ample overhead already built into the design, so there's no real need to oversize any further than this. The SuperFlower made Capstone 450W is always my favorite pick for any non-OCing 1150 socket single GPU build.

Most multiplayer/online games are compute intensive more-so than render intensive. The CPU will set the tone for performance more often than any other component and as mentioned previously, many of these games will not scale into many-core designs very well. The result is that like most compute intensive games, performance scaling beyond a quad core is not very good. The result of this, is that the best value for performance in these games lands on the i5 haswell group of products. The i5-4590 is typically the best value among them. (though current pricing on the $4690K is only $20 more, so this is an option, even if it won't be overclocked, to buy some higher clock speeds).

Compute intensive DX11 games will run better with Nvidia's proprietary DX11 API. The vast majority of modern "online" games will fall into this category. The reduced compute overhead afforded by NVs proprietary API here actually improves CPU related performance issues.

If you've ever felt how hot a motherboard can get around the VRM area when the CPU is under heavy load, even on stock clocked systems, you'd realize it's not a bad idea to pick a board with a heatsink on the VRM mosfets, even if it's not intended as an overclocking board. This will reduce the localized temperature extremes/swings, which should improve the life of the motherboard.

When picking memory for a system that is anticipated to have high compute workloads with lots of memory access (gaming ;) ), the best memory access performance will come from a dual channel, dual rank memory kit that matches the highest supported speed of the memory controller with the tightest possible timings. In the case of Intel "locked" builds, that would be something like a dual channel, dual rank (16 X 8 bit components per dimm) kit of 1600-8-8-8 or better.

------------

The following builds are priced out based on the assumption that MIRs are a scam that you should not participate in or encourage.

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($172.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $787.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 12:27 EDT-0400

If you can scrape together an extra ~$100 make the following changes:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $903.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 12:23 EDT-0400

Solution

rietetsu

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
@mdocod

I noticed that your build does not include an optical drive, I was just wondering if this was on purpose, or you forgot to put it in, maybe it comes with the case (I don't know if that's even a thing lol). But I was curious just in case I wanted one if that would add to the price.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for your response rietetsu. :)

I've put together another list of components, this time including a copy of Windows 8 in the final price. I've also replaced a few components to get the price closer to your $800 budget, whilst still including the operating system. Don't get me wrong, the build below is still just as powerful as my previous gaming wise; I replaced the Xeon with an i5, the PSU to a XFX unit and the case to a Corsair 200R (which also includes two case fans).

Intel i5 processors are ideal for gaming whereby the Xeon processor I suggested earlier shouldn't provide a major benefit; the Xeon has Hyper Threading, which may assist a little more in multitasking. Regardless the i5 is still a solid processor and will be capable of running the games you desire at maximum graphical setting.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($204.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $817.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 17:32 EDT-0400

The above build includes the OS and is closer to your $800 budget.

mdocod

Distinguished

Unless you're going to use it as a media PC and play DVDs or Blue Rays straight from the computer I don't really see any point in an optical drive for any modern computer. You can download the ISOs for windows 7 and 8 straight from microsoft and put them on a thumb drive for much faster installation and setup compared to a disk install, beyond that, almost all software and media these days comes from the cloud. I haven't used a "disk" to install software or listen to music on my computer in over 5 years. Beyond that, the cost of an optical drive is typically $15 or less for a new one, or, totally free if you're willing to simply scavenge one from an old computer. I'm not sure it's worth paying for an optical drive that you'll probably never use. I'm not even sure it's worth taking the time to scavenge for one. YMMV. An optical drive is no longer a "standard" component for any build IMO. It's an optional extra for specialty machines like HTPCs.

--------

For playing MMORPGS you'll appreciate an SSD and a middle tier Nvidia GPU more than a mechanical drive and a slightly better AMD GPU. Faster loading between zones, and more consistent FPS. A machanical drive with a better AMD GPU is the wrong solution to this build.

If you can stretch it this is the build impossible to beat at this price

mdocod

Distinguished

In my experience, People who come to forums to ask for build advise are seeking the best possible hardware configuration for their intended use. Just because your experience with an AMD GPU in MMO's satisfies your expectations doesn't mean it is the best solution available for those workloads.

I would rather have a GTX760 and an SSD than an R9 290 and a mechanical drive for playing MMOs any day. The average performance where it really counts (busy compute bound conditions) will be better on the system with the nvidia card due to the reduced driver overhead. The only thing the R9 290 would be able to do is flaunt higher peak FPS (way over 60FPS regardless for most of these games) or run at higher visual quality and/or resolution with similar FPS. These benefits are very superficial IMO, and don't address the primary source of performance issues in these types of games.