[SOLVED] Building a custom PC

Jun 9, 2020
Here is the for the parts. I plan to run games like call of duty, rocket league, and assassins creed type games on a 1440p monitor. Maybe some VR games in the near future. Idk how to post a link in here. Any tips/changes you think I should do?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XTjfZf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($120.01 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1238.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-10 04:08 EDT-0400

Solution
That motherboard tho.

I don't recommend buying B350 motherboards for Ryzen 3000.

Buy a B450 motherboard, or if you can wait until June 16 and you need the PCIe 4.0 (you will probably need it for future graphics cards and SSD), buy B550.

Also, don't buy the Windows OS directly. Just download the OS from Microsoft website, and buy the Key to activate the Windows. It can save you lots of money that you can use to buy more important parts.

IDProG

Distinguished
That motherboard tho.

Buy a B450 motherboard, or if you can wait until June 16 and you need the PCIe 4.0 (you will probably need it for future graphics cards and SSD), buy B550.

Also, don't buy the Windows OS directly. Just download the OS from Microsoft website, and buy the Key to activate the Windows. It can save you lots of money that you can use to buy more important parts.

Reactions: Cere
Solution

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
That motherboard tho.

Didn't even think about the Windows, good catch.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
While the Matisse Ryzen processors good all around processors, they fall behind when it comes to serious gaming. This CPU will be your bottleneck. Gamers Nexus has tested Intel processors vs the new AMD Ryzen processors - and the Ryzen processors lag behind when it comes to gaming. You will likely get better overall performance in games by over-clocking an i5 processor than using the Ryzen 7 3700X. I have the 3700X installed in my main computer so I am not bashing AMD or its Matisse processors. So upgrade your processor and keep your GPU.

IDProG

Distinguished
" and buy the Key "

A valid license key is still around $100.
If you see it much cheaper, it is unlikely to be valid. Even though it appears to work.
I always believe in "innocent until proven guilty".
So, if it's not proven to be stolen/generated, it is legit.

Now, to be fair, my country does not protect copyright of other countries' products. So, buying $2 or $100 Windows doesn't make any difference to me.

But, yeah. Generally, I think you should re-check the validity of the key before buying. Though, there ARE some valid keys out there that can be bought for like $10-$15.

IDProG

Distinguished
While the Matisse Ryzen processors good all around processors, they fall behind when it comes to serious gaming. This CPU will be your bottleneck. Gamers Nexus has tested Intel processors vs the new AMD Ryzen processors - and the Ryzen processors lag behind when it comes to gaming. You will likely get better overall performance in games by over-clocking an i5 processor than using the Ryzen 7 3700X. I have the 3700X installed in my main computer so I am not bashing AMD or its Matisse processors. So upgrade your processor and keep your GPU.
This is true. The problem is because of the high latency of the CPU that's caused by the 2 separate CCX chiplet design.

Ryzen 4000, up to 8 core, will solve this, however, with 8 cores per CCX. That's why I'm pumped for the Zen 3.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I always believe in "innocent until proven guilty".
So, if it's not proven to be stolen/generated, it is legit.

Now, to be fair, my country does not protect copyright of other countries' products. So, buying $2 or $100 Windows doesn't make any difference to me.

But, yeah. Generally, I think you should re-check the validity of the key before buying. Though, there ARE some valid keys out there that can be bought for like $10-$15.

If you have a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 key you can update to Windows 10 for free but it must be "like for like" (i.e. Windows 7 or 8 Home can be updated to Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Professional can be updated for Windows 10 Professional.

TRENDING THREADS