Building a gaming pc, and I want to record gameplay. What is important?

Solution

I have experience in the recording matter, with programs like Fraps, DXTORY, Mirillis, [Bandicam / Bandishit] etc.

The primary thing you need in that build to ensure that recording will be smooth is separate drives for your applications.

You need a drive for your operating system , which would go on your SSD.
You need a separate drive for your games, which would go in your 1TB HDD
and finally you need a separate drive for your recordings.

As programs that record take a lot of system bandwidth this means that Hard Drives can not be fast enough...

PhotoshopLOL

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Its actually not a bad build
but if you dont have additional storage in hand (external hdds etc..) to store your gameplay (that will take up most of your space on your PC) since you have GAMES and raw FOOTAGE in the same HDD, you can always upgrade your storage into a larger one because a small storage space will mess you up real good when you're recording because your recording will stop when you have no space left for it.

and if youre gonna record games and stuff dont bother using windows 8.1 (i have made this mistake too) because fraps isnt compatible with it yet, you can wait but it will take a while tho. but if you have other recording software licensed then you can always take the windows 8.1 but I warn you, you will regret it.

Conor17777

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

I have experience in the recording matter, with programs like Fraps, DXTORY, Mirillis, [Bandicam / Bandishit] etc.

The primary thing you need in that build to ensure that recording will be smooth is separate drives for your applications.

You need a drive for your operating system , which would go on your SSD.
You need a separate drive for your games, which would go in your 1TB HDD
and finally you need a separate drive for your recordings.

As programs that record take a lot of system bandwidth this means that Hard Drives can not be fast enough to read/write games and write video at the same time.

Finally to ensure that your system runs as smoothly as possible, an i7 is advised (for future proofedness)(xD) and
on top of that i would go for a Full tower case, they tend to run cooler, and as a result quieter.
And when your recording the most annoying thing in a heated game of BF4 is to hear your GPU/PSU whirring away in the background.

If you want a solid case that should run your rig quiet then the Thermaltake Chaser MK1 from experience tends to do the job very nicely, if you would prefer a case that is not quite as aggressively designed then ive heard the HAF Stacker when you move the Hard Drive Caddies to the 915r and install two front mounted 120mm's is quite a case for Airflow.

Solution