Building a Home Server for Gaming

Mar 21, 2018
Hi.

I know this has been asked before but sort of a novice and want to specify my situation as I don't necessarily understand term usage in other answers.

My mother works for a law firm that recently upgraded their server racks and such. She was able to bring home a server. My brother and I would like to set it up for shared files (ebooks, music, pictures, documents, etc). That doesn't seem too difficult. What I would like to know is if it is also possible to host Minecraft servers on this machine, using it as a sort of dedicated server. We could remotely access to start/stop the Minecraft server and then our computers wouldn't have the burden of running the server and client at the same time. I'm not certain what software is installed on the server. Law firms Client files have been wiped.

What would be the best software for our system and what would be the general process for going about setting this up?

Solution
run your server on windows 10 its what I am going to do when I build mine. Better drivers more support than Linux which is a mix & match kind of build which can cause issues where 10 is updating regularly.

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
Well, I dont have a home server, just a VPS rented.
I would recommend you to use Ubuntu or Debian.

I dont know what server it is, so I dont even know if it can run a MC server. Do you know the specs of it?

Mar 21, 2018

I don't know what server it is. I haven't even seen it. I live away from home. I'll have to ask my brother soon and I'll update you.

Mar 21, 2018

I didn't quite understand what you were saying. Better off to run...windows 10 server or?

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
run your server on windows 10 its what I am going to do when I build mine. Better drivers more support than Linux which is a mix & match kind of build which can cause issues where 10 is updating regularly.

Solution