Building a home studio NEED ANSWER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2018
I started making music with my friend a while ago and we are just messing about on my 3-year-old laptop. Now i want to get more serious and decided to set up a home studio.

After some time, this is the list of equipment I plan to purchase.

Headphone:Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Studio Headphones
(was originally going for the m50x from audio Technica, heard great things form both headphones but i do prefer over-ear headphone )
Microphones:Audio-Technica 20 Series AT2035
Audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2(Everyone on the internet says this is good so i guess i am getting this)

Still looking for a pair of entry-level monitoring speakers that won't break the bank(ironic) feel free to recommend any

I am building a new computer too so if you are interested you can have a look here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2g8yq4

However i am confused with DAC, Sound card,Preamp, amp and audio interface.
I have looked at some articles but i haven't found what i need.I know they are very similar to one another but i want to know the differences they have and what are they individually for.

This is my first ever post so if I get anything wrong please tell me. Much appreciated.

Solution
DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter
Sound card = You know what that is
Audio Interface = Usually refereed to as a Sound card with the input and outputs needed for Music production. Basically an Audio Interface is a Soundcard
AMP = Amplifier
Preamp = Pre-Amplifier.

Basically the Focusrite, and other similar brands for that matter, is an Audio Interface and a Sound card and that's all you really need. They come with integrated DAC and ADC and have preamps for the inputs.
Obviously you can go for dedicated Preamps and ADC instead of the sound card but that will cost you a lot more money.

Personally I use the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL for music production and also for the everyday computer usage, because the sound quality is a lot better...
DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter
Sound card = You know what that is
Audio Interface = Usually refereed to as a Sound card with the input and outputs needed for Music production. Basically an Audio Interface is a Soundcard
AMP = Amplifier
Preamp = Pre-Amplifier.

Basically the Focusrite, and other similar brands for that matter, is an Audio Interface and a Sound card and that's all you really need. They come with integrated DAC and ADC and have preamps for the inputs.
Obviously you can go for dedicated Preamps and ADC instead of the sound card but that will cost you a lot more money.

Personally I use the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL for music production and also for the everyday computer usage, because the sound quality is a lot better than any onboard sound card can deliver.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.