Building a Mid-Level Gaming Computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shazmania

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hello, I am trying to build a new pc for the upcoming Diablo 3 and to play Mass Effect 3. I do not care to play everything in its highest settings because I know I can't afford it. I am a casual gamer looking for a mid-level rig at said price level, if you can get it cheaper then that's better. If something is a little more I wouldn't mind hitting $650ish to get something that makes a big difference. All in all, I want as much performance I can get out of the $600. Thanks for the help! Let me know about your ideas :)

I have: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Monitor, and an M-Audio Speaker system, so don't those.

EDIT: I apologize, I was excited reading what the users on this forum had to say and their knowledge in the subject I posted without looking at the rules.

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: 600-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Photoshop, Internet

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, microcenter.com Anywhere with good deals ;)

Parts Preferences: No Preference, maybe if we could get in an i5 processor? But that would probably take me out of budget, let me know! :)
Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Solution
Well, the 6870 is the better video card between that and the 6850. When you're faced with a choice of picking a stronger CPU or a stronger video card, you're usually better off picking a stronger video card and cutting back on the CPU. (as most games are limited in their performance more so than the CPU).

My opinion is still with the AMD build I recommended to you initially for your particular budget. The total price for that is $635 without Windows7 which is another 100 dollars. You said in your first post your budget was 600-700, and in that budget range that configuration is a pretty decent budget gamer, and you'd be hard pressed to do better. Yes the i5 2500k is a far stronger processor, but if you're sacrificing on your video card...
Shaz,

The 975 and 965 are identical in terms of design, the only difference is the 975 is clocked higher. You can easily make a 965 perform like a 975 or even a 980 model in about 2 seconds. Bulldozer in my opinion is not worth considering over Intel's choices or Phenom IIs as long as they are still around.

Yes you are correct that the i3 on paper perform better than the Phenom II 965, however, the difference is practically zero in terms of actual gameplay experience. The reason I say the 965 is the better choice is due to the fact that the i3 is only a dual core. You may find this limits you when playing online games and as new games come out. As of today, only 1 or 2 games are capable of utilizing more than 2 cores in a CPU. In the future as new games come out, the dual core may become a limitation.

Based on that information, its really your choice, as its your computer and you're the one that has to be happy with it.