[SOLVED] Building a New Computer

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
So my old computer is just totally gone. More work than it's worth trying to fix everything. Plus, it's a pretty old computer, almost 8 years old. Here's my link: https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=frvejtBul5JpMTEw+M5P+A==

I am going to buy the Logitech G900 on Amazon so it's an additional $72.

I've tried to keep this under 2k, but it's okay for it to go a little over 2k. Perhaps a $200 legroom. I'm looking for a pretty decent gaming computer that will last me a couple of years. How long do you think this build will last?

I'm also going to use my old 3 hard drives and SSD in my new build.

Solution
Interesting! I thought 8gb was still seen as good enough now-a-days! I'll move up to 16gb if that's the case. Any RAM recommendations?
8gb is the minimum. 16gb is standard.

Anything from HyperX, Corsair, or Team Group would be great. 3200mhz cl15 minimum. perferably 3600mhz cl 14
So my old computer is just totally gone. More work than it's worth trying to fix everything. Plus, it's a pretty old computer, almost 8 years old. Here's my link: https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=frvejtBul5JpMTEw+M5P+A==

I am going to buy the Logitech G900 on Amazon so it's an additional $72.

I've tried to keep this under 2k, but it's okay for it to go a little over 2k. Perhaps a $200 legroom. I'm looking for a pretty decent gaming computer that will last me a couple of years. How long do you think this build will last?

I'm also going to use my old 3 hard drives and SSD in my new build.
Your link is 404

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
That one too :(
I'll just type everything out:
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite Wifi ($210)
NZXT H510 ($79)
Asus ROG Strix AMD Radeon RX 5700XT Overclocked ($460)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb ($50)
MSI Optix MAG321CQR 32" ($380)
Rosewill ARC Series 750W ($75)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 Ghz ($194)
Logtiech G915 ($233)
Logitech G900 ($72)

I'll just type everything out:
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite Wifi ($210)
NZXT H510 ($79)
Asus ROG Strix AMD Radeon RX 5700XT Overclocked ($460)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb ($50)
MSI Optix MAG321CQR 32" ($380)
Rosewill ARC Series 750W ($75)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 Ghz ($194)
Logtiech G915 ($233)
Logitech G900 ($72)
Looks OK but you need 2x8GB RAM. You are sinking big money in KB and mouse but skimping on RAM, Doesn't make sense !! Also which frequency RAM, 3600MHz would be ideal ?

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Looks OK but you need 2x8GB RAM. You are sinking big money in KB and mouse but skimping on RAM, Doesn't make sense !! Also which frequency RAM, 3600MHz would be ideal ?
Interesting! I thought 8gb was still seen as good enough now-a-days! I'll move up to 16gb if that's the case. Any RAM recommendations?

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Anything from HyperX, Corsair, or Team Group would be great. 3200mhz cl15 minimum. perferably 3600mhz cl 14
[/QUOTE]

Great! Thanks.

So would this be fine:

Fast, dual channel 16GB is a must for such system. 8GB of slow RAM in single channel would cripple it.
So what about storage ? You don't mention any.
I have an SSD and three hard drives that I'll probably just reuse.

Last edited:
Spending more money on your keyboard than your CPU. That just seems wrong to me. But that's me.

I'm the kind of person that would buy both keyboard and mouse at 25 bux each and put that 250 dollars extra on getting more RAM and getting a better CPU or GPU.

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Spending more money on your keyboard than your CPU. That just seems wrong to me. But that's me.

I'm the kind of person that would buy both keyboard and mouse at 25 bux each and put that 250 dollars extra on getting more RAM and getting a better CPU or GPU.
What is a better CPU you would recommend? I am willing to stay away my keyboard in general since I do have a good keyboard, but I just wanted a wireless keyboard.

What is a better CPU you would recommend? I am willing to stay away my keyboard in general since I do have a good keyboard, but I just wanted a wireless keyboard.

I mean you could always take 100$ off your keyboard and put it towards the ryzen 7 3700 or 3800. However with the gpu you picked, and the r5 3600, the gpu would still be the bottleneck for most games. The 3600 has great single core performance. So honestly you could either do what I suggested, or just take 100$ off your keyboard and put it into a better GPU as well. You dont really NEED a better cpu but it wouldnt hurt for the future as games are become more multi core bound.

Great advice. Jason, your system looks like something I would like to build. What case do you have? Any changes you would have liked or revised?

I have the Cougar mx330. The case is great but it dont have much routing for rgb strips, or at least the strips I purchased that came with my rgb fan kit. BUT it looks great and the cable management is pretty good as well. I wish I also would have got the tempered glass panel version instead of the acrylic side as the acrylic scuffs and scratches very easily but when the systems on or off you cant really tell.

Also I wish I would have got a better cpu, the 2600 is great but it doesnt have the single core performance Im coming to find that I kind of need/want. I play more competatively in games so I like max performance, usually lower settings in games like Apex Legends and stuff. So when you drop graphics low, games become more cpu bound which the 2600 is great, but just a bit behind what I would have liked. But I plan on upgrading it soon.

Reactions: rayanik

PoppySalt

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
I mean you could always take 100$ off your keyboard and put it towards the ryzen 7 3700 or 3800. However with the gpu you picked, and the r5 3600, the gpu would still be the bottleneck for most games. The 3600 has great single core performance. So honestly you could either do what I suggested, or just take 100$ off your keyboard and put it into a better GPU as well. You dont really NEED a better cpu but it wouldnt hurt for the future as games are become more multi core bound.
I see, so then how about the MSI Nvidia 2080 Super Superarmor? Then I would probably get a Ryzen 7 3700X. I might as well get the Ryzen 7 and help future proof it a little better, but what could be a step up from the 2080? That wouldn't be too much. I feel like that should be enough. I'm sure it can run most game well.

Latest posts