[SOLVED] Building a new gaming PC

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
I want to build a new gaming PC from www.ant-pc.com. I am a complete beginner. I don't understand about motherboard, case, cooler, PSU, SSD and HDD
(regarding speed in RPM), RAM (CAS Latency) and monitor. I will be playing games at 4K. I want to build a system with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and Nvidia RTX 3080Ti I am attaching a list of components which can be configured in that PC. Please help me with the build.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I am getting it built from www.ant-pc.com. I am not building it myself. That's why I am asking what best components can be installed in the PC. I have no idea about how good they are.
This is what I came up with and the changes. Make sure to go to add-on and change from the trial version of windows 10.

Talk to them and tell them you need this as your secondary drive not a clue why they would not offer a SSD for that. (put your games on this or if they say can't do it buy a SSD and install it your self very easy)
https://www.amazon.com/XPG-GAMMIX-NAND-Gen3x4-AGAMMIXS11P-1TT-C/dp/B07KZNTZYB

Went with this build. 311,128 without the extra drive you need to get added...
May 26, 2021
I want to build a new gaming PC from www.ant-pc.com. I am a complete beginner. I don't understand about motherboard, case, cooler, PSU, SSD and HDD
(regarding speed in RPM), RAM (CAS Latency) and monitor. I will be playing games at 4K. I want to build a system with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and Nvidia RTX 3080Ti I am attaching a list of components which can be configured in that PC. Please help me with the build.

Thanks!

Don't want to come across as rude.

I would personally suggest doing some research, perhaps watching a few videos, about PC building and the components inside them. It's relatively straightforward, but if you are a complete beginner then there is a good chance during the build you may plug some cable in to the wrong port (say the power switch header in to another header) and the system won't start, or you might miss a cable that is crucial and the system won't start, there is a lot of wiring involved and it usually requires a fair bit of cable management unless you want the system to look a complete mess, which I personally cannot stand.

The build itself looks fine, pretty decent spec there, as the other poster recommended, I'd suggest going for 3600MHZ RAM.

Also, given the current GPU crisis where it's scalpers galore, I assume you have checked that that supplier actually has the 3080 in stock? Most suppliers currently are struggling with stock and there are people who pre-ordered the card months ago who still haven't received them.

I don't want to put you off building a system, I started doing it 8 years ago and I loved it, it's more enjoyable putting it together, making the small error somewhere and then troubleshooting it and learning along the way.

It's just that if you aren't aware of what each component does in the system, or how it goes together, which cables go to which ports, you could end up with a non-functioning system that will take a some troubleshooting, and for an absolute beginner that is probably not ideal.

By all means however, you're on the right site for troubleshooting, and any one of us here, including myself, would happily help you along the way. :)

I would also recommend changing the PSU. The wattage is fine but the Antec HCG, NeoEco, and Deepcool DQM have had a lot of reports of tripping with Nvidia Ampere cards. Especially with a high current GPU like a 3080/Ti.

Do they have any alternatives?

If not, hopefully their warranty policy is good. In case any issues arise.

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
I would also recommend changing the PSU. The wattage is fine but the Antec HCG, NeoEco, and Deepcool DQM have had a lot of reports of tripping with Nvidia Ampere cards. Especially with a high current GPU like a 3080/Ti.

Do they have any alternatives?

If not, hopefully their warranty policy is good. In case any issues arise.
NZXT is there in the list. If you want to suggest any other you can. I can ask them if they can install it. Please tell about motherboard, RAM, SSD and monitor.

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
Don't want to come across as rude.

I would personally suggest doing some research, perhaps watching a few videos, about PC building and the components inside them. It's relatively straightforward, but if you are a complete beginner then there is a good chance during the build you may plug some cable in to the wrong port (say the power switch header in to another header) and the system won't start, or you might miss a cable that is crucial and the system won't start, there is a lot of wiring involved and it usually requires a fair bit of cable management unless you want the system to look a complete mess, which I personally cannot stand.

The build itself looks fine, pretty decent spec there, as the other poster recommended, I'd suggest going for 3600MHZ RAM.

Also, given the current GPU crisis where it's scalpers galore, I assume you have checked that that supplier actually has the 3080 in stock? Most suppliers currently are struggling with stock and there are people who pre-ordered the card months ago who still haven't received them.

I don't want to put you off building a system, I started doing it 8 years ago and I loved it, it's more enjoyable putting it together, making the small error somewhere and then troubleshooting it and learning along the way.

It's just that if you aren't aware of what each component does in the system, or how it goes together, which cables go to which ports, you could end up with a non-functioning system that will take a some troubleshooting, and for an absolute beginner that is probably not ideal.

By all means however, you're on the right site for troubleshooting, and any one of us here, including myself, would happily help you along the way. :)
I am getting it built from www.ant-pc.com. I am not building it myself. That's why I am asking what best components can be installed in the PC. I have no idea about how good they are.

May 26, 2021
I see. In that case, it depends on what you are after. A 3080 will be perfectly good enough for pretty much any game these days, a 3090 is overkill really and also very expensive given current scalpmarket prices.

Ideally you want one of the newer gen CPU's, say 10th or 11th gen intel or AMD Ryzen series. As for the SSD, ADATA is quite a recently popular brand, I don't think it's the best performer as compared to the likes of Samsung SSD's, and as such I always use the latter. It's not a bad SSD, it just doesn't perform quite as well as some of the other brands, as you'd expect given it's typically cheaper.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is what I came up with and the changes. Make sure to go to add-on and change from the trial version of windows 10.

Talk to them and tell them you need this as your secondary drive not a clue why they would not offer a SSD for that. (put your games on this or if they say can't do it buy a SSD and install it your self very easy)
https://www.amazon.com/XPG-GAMMIX-NAND-Gen3x4-AGAMMIXS11P-1TT-C/dp/B07KZNTZYB

Went with this build. 311,128 without the extra drive you need to get added.
https://www.ant-pc.com/gaming-pc/solenopsis/ant-pc-solenopsis-rz700xt

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8Core, 16 Threads, Upto 4.7 Ghz)
Motherboard
MSI X570 Tomahawk MAG WiFi
RAM
2 X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600MHz
GPU
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Ti iChill X4 12 GB
SSD
500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD
HDD
None
PSU
Antec HCG 1000 Extreme Gold
CPU COOLER
Deepcool CASTLE 240 RGB V2 240 mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
OS
Genuine Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
CASE
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Black

EDIT on other builds they offered a 2TB Samsung 970 as the main drive if they can put that in you would not need another drive.

Last edited:
Solution
NZXT is there in the list. If you want to suggest any other you can. I can ask them if they can install it. Please tell about motherboard, RAM, SSD and monitor.

The Motherboard and SSD choices are fine. It all comes down on preference at this point. Motherboars feature sets (number of USB ports, PCIe lanes, etc etc), SSD sizes or nvme vs non-nvme.

The RAM however I would also suggest upgrading to 3600MHZ. Buy the current speed will also work fine.