[SOLVED] Building a new gaming system, thoughts, tips?

AnonymousDuck

Honorable
Oct 29, 2014
Hi!

So the past few year I have really fallen out of date with the most recent developments in the computer front, my current setup consists of 3rd gen I5 and GTX 970 gpu.

Now I have decided it's a time for upgrade and I've done some researching and I think I have gotten my soon to be new pc specs quite nailed down. I just want to ask for your opinions, incase there's something else you would recommend instead or small tweaks.

I only play games and watch movies.
Here a spec list:

Case:
NZXT H510i - SMART

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3,6 GHz (with stock cooler since I have no plans for OC)

GPU:
Asus GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EVO OC V2 8 Gt

MOBO:
MSI X570 MPG Gaming Plus

RAM:
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3000MHz

SSD:
Kingston 500GB A2000, PCIe, NVMe, 2200/1500 MB/s -SSD M.2

PSU:
Corsair 750W TX-M Series TX750M GOLD plus

(I know getting the 5 3600x instead of the 7 would probably make more sense from gaming perspective, but since the introduction of 8 core processors in the new gaming consoles, I feel like getting 8 cores will be more future proof)

Thanks for any replies !

Solution
Unless you are looking to bump to PCIe Gen 4 storage there is really no reason not to stick with a 4xx chipset. You will see quite a few with a 'Max' in the title, which are 3xxx ready without needing a BIOS update.
My go-to recommend on this is the B450 Tomahawk Max.

Bump your RAM speed to at least 3200, and would likely go on up to 3600.

The only other lacking aspect in my mind is bulk storage, but that's and easy fix. Great size for primary NVME.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unless you are looking to bump to PCIe Gen 4 storage there is really no reason not to stick with a 4xx chipset. You will see quite a few with a 'Max' in the title, which are 3xxx ready without needing a BIOS update.
My go-to recommend on this is the B450 Tomahawk Max.

Bump your RAM speed to at least 3200, and would likely go on up to 3600.

The only other lacking aspect in my mind is bulk storage, but that's and easy fix. Great size for primary NVME.

Solution

AnonymousDuck

Honorable
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for the reply! So basically I can save a few extra bucks by getting the B450 instead of the x570, and I should get faster RAM for more performance.

Also forgot to mention but I have a 2TB Barracude HDD that I will rip out of my old system