Build Advice Building a new mid-range PC

Sep 1, 2024
Hello lads,

I am finally considering getting a new PC, after almost 10 years. I don't play games that often any more, but when I do, I want them to run stable at 1080p@60Hz (that's what my current display [DELL U2311H] supports, and I do not intend to replace it yet) on max. settings. Other that that, the only power-hungry app I use is Lightroom. I will move up to 1440p@120Hz in the future when the current monitor goes tits up, but this is currently irrelevant.

I have two candidate configurations; my first question is whether the EUR 250 extra is worth it in case of the second rig:

1)
Gigabyte A520M S2H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB 3000MHz DDR4
512GB ADATA m.2 SSD
Chieftec Smart GPS 700W
MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus Black 8GB OC
Zalman N5 OF case

(Should I also need a CPU cooler, or will the stock suffice?)

2)
Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite V2
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X or 5800X
Be quiet! Pure Rock 2 cooler
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 3000MHz DDR4
MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus Black 8GB OC
1TB WD Blue m.2
Seasonic Focus GX 750W
AeroCool Aero One Eclipse case

Basically, I am aiming for a (top) mid-range AMD AM4 platform. Now, I am completely out of the loop when it comes to current hardware, so I would like some advice.

What mobo should I choose? I do not need anything fancy (I think the one in config 2 above is overkill), not even Bluetooth or wifi. I need 4-6 USB ports, and m.2 compatibility, of course. I prefer Gigabyte, as I have had no problems with this brand so far.

GPU: I was initially considering the RTX 3060 because of the 192 bit bus and 12 GB VRAM, but having read up on the two GPUs, it seems to me that the 4060 actually performs a bit better despite it sporting only 8 GB VRAM, plus it features DLSS 3 and frame generation. And both cards are virtually at the same price, so why not go for the newer hardware.

PSU: I want something reliable and quiet. I suppose anything around 650 Watts will do, right? Any recommended brands, please? Also, a modular design would be nice if it is not absurdly more expensive than the regular cable setup.

The above are pre-built rigs, but any component can be swapped out for a myriad of others to end up with a custom PC. I could not care less about brands, but I want to avoid any that are problematic. I want to remain around the EUR 1000 price range.

Additional requirements: I want the PC to run cool and silent. This is partly why I am inclined to go for the AeroCool case.

Any input would be appreciated, cheers!

Last edited:
You don't want either of those motherboards with that GPU because they'll only do PCIe 3.0, the GPU is PCIe 4.0, but the important part being it has cut down lanes which makes revision matter so if looking at AM5 you'd want a B550 based motherboard.

The memory for Zen 3 CPUs really needs to be 3600 to maximize CPU performance and the minor price premium should be well worth it.

Generally speaking an inexpensive tower cooler will be enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile to get something other than the stock cooler.

GPU wise the only reason to go with the 3060 over 4060 would be if something you were doing used the extra VRAM but that's the only reason.

If you're looking at longevity I think spending the extra money to get an AM5 system with a decent motherboard is likely a better choice than buying AM4 at this point. You'll potentially have upgrade options, but you'll also have much better overall hardware support going forward if you plan on keeping the system for a long time.

Without knowing where you'd be buying from/what country you're in it's pretty hard to make specific component recommendations given how weird regional pricing can be.

Reactions: TeamRed2024
Sep 1, 2024
Cheers for your reply. I am located in HU, and will be getting the hardware from here. Please, do not worry about regional pricing, just feel free to post your recommendations, and I will work out the rest. :D If you – or anyone else – could provide 2–3 options for mobos and PSUs, I should be able to find and buy at least one of them.

I wasn't really looking at AM5, as the last info I got (almost 2 years ago now, lol) is that it is not worth it in terms of price/performance, and was told that AM4 is actually way more economical.

Having now taken a quick look at the AM5 mobos, the only available ones are the A and B 620/650 types. And the CPUs are a LOT more expensive than the AM4 ones.

Regarding DDR4 RAM, I have just found 3600MHz ones, such as the Kingston FURY Beast 32GB. However, according to the CPU specifications, they only support RAMs up to 3200MHz...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2024
I wasn't really looking at AM5, as the last info I got (almost 2 years ago now, lol) is that it is not worth it in terms of price/performance, and was told that AM4 is actually way more economical.

Having now taken a quick look at the AM5 mobos, the only available ones are the A and B 620/650 types. And the CPUs are a LOT more expensive than the AM4 ones.

They are also a lot better in terms of performance... and with AM5 you will have an upgrade path and DDR5 memory.

If you are on a super tight budget AM4 is the obvious choice... but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to go with a dead platform.

Sep 1, 2024
They are also a lot better in terms of performance... and with AM5 you will have an upgrade path and DDR5 memory.

If you are on a super tight budget AM4 is the obvious choice... but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to go with a dead platform.
I understand, but like I wrote above, I am not an avid gamer any more, so I see no point in getting a high-end system, especially at today's hardware prices. Buying an AM5 rig over an AM4 one would mean at least EUR 300 extra. The RAM and the CPU specifically cost double their AM4 counterparts. I am not willing to pay that much.

Aug 12, 2024
If you're looking at longevity I think spending the extra money to get an AM5 system with a decent motherboard is likely a better choice than buying AM4 at this point. You'll potentially have upgrade options, but you'll also have much better overall hardware support going forward if you plan on keeping the system for a long time.

Pretty much the point I was trying to make. EUR 300 extra would definitely be worth it for me for the upgrade options and hardware support down the road... but to each their own.

Reactions: thestryker
Sep 1, 2024
Regarding longevity: I have an ancient rig that sports a 5th gen. Intel CPU (4 cores only, no HT), 16 GB RAM, an NV 1650 TI VGA, and basically, everything has been running fine if a bit slowly – even on (hold onto your seats now!) Windows 7.

So, if an AM4 system can serve me for 5–6 years, I'll be fine with that. But somehow I doubt that today's hardware will last that long. Also, what hardware support are we talking about? I do not even want to switch to Win 11. I sometimes use Win 10, but only if I have to, as it is a crap OS compared to 7. And 11 is the crappiest of them all.

Anyway, could you guys recommend a good PSU for the 2) config above? Also, many thanks for the info about the 4060 requiring a B550 mobo, I did not know about that. Any preference among those mobos? I can see at least half a dozen of them manufactured by Gigabyte alone, and have no idea what the individual designations mean.

And just for shits and giggles, feel free to recommend an AM5 setup as well, please. Complete with CPU + cooler, RAM and PSU.

Windows 7 is not a viable choice for even AM4 so if you don't want to move up to 10/11 or go Linux don't bother building a new system. Look for something used that might actually support it properly I believe the last Intel to natively support 7 was 6th generation.

If you're going to accept the reality of moving on from an ancient operating system you shouldn't be using here's a couple of builds I put together using PCPartPicker:

AM5:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (80490.00Ft @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 36 CPU Cooler (12690.00Ft @ Alza)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (51690.00Ft @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (47590.00Ft @ Alza)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (16390.00Ft @ Alza)
Video Card: Gainward Python II GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card (119490.00Ft @ Alza)
Case: Montech AIR 1000 LITE ATX Mid Tower Case (23090.00Ft @ Alza)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 V2 FULL MODULAR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (42690.00Ft @ Alza)
Total: 394120.00Ft
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-02 01:06 CEST+0200

AM4:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (64090.00Ft @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 36 CPU Cooler (12690.00Ft @ Alza)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (35990.00Ft @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (37590.00Ft @ Alza)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (16390.00Ft @ Alza)
Video Card: Gainward Python II GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card (119490.00Ft @ Alza)
Case: Montech AIR 1000 LITE ATX Mid Tower Case (23090.00Ft @ Alza)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 V2 FULL MODULAR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (42690.00Ft @ Alza)
Total: 352020.00Ft
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-02 00:56 CEST+0200

I basically made choices designed to optimize cost without sacrificing too much quality wise since that seemed to be most important to you. In the case of the AM5 setup the 7600 will be faster than the 5800X in everything but workloads that maximize thread usage, but even in that case it won't be much slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamRed2024

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Regarding longevity: I have an ancient rig that sports a 5th gen. Intel CPU (4 cores only, no HT), 16 GB RAM, an NV 1650 TI VGA, and basically, everything has been running fine if a bit slowly – even on (hold onto your seats now!) Windows 7.

So, if an AM4 system can serve me for 5–6 years, I'll be fine with that. But somehow I doubt that today's hardware will last that long. Also, what hardware support are we talking about? I do not even want to switch to Win 11. I sometimes use Win 10, but only if I have to, as it is a crap OS compared to 7. And 11 is the crappiest of them all.

Anyway, could you guys recommend a good PSU for the 2) config above? Also, many thanks for the info about the 4060 requiring a B550 mobo, I did not know about that. Any preference among those mobos? I can see at least half a dozen of them manufactured by Gigabyte alone, and have no idea what the individual designations mean.

And just for shits and giggles, feel free to recommend an AM5 setup as well, please. Complete with CPU + cooler, RAM and PSU.
Your probably not going to get W7 to even run on modern hardware (no drivers)
The 4060 is a really bad buy compared to what AMD offers.
Your going to be better off listing a budget and where you can buy parts from.

Sep 1, 2024
I don't quite understand why some of you got the notion that I wanna install Win7 on the new rig. Of course not, I never said that, I'm not an idiot.

@thestryker: thanks a lot for your recommended setups, I will take a thorough look tomorrow.