Question Building a new pc and need opinions on my list!

CommonGamer115

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
I built an average budget build during 2020 (worst time, I know). With all these new games coming out, this budget build can't handle it anymore. I've decided that it's finally time to upgrade. I was a little stingy on some parts where I think it would be alright. Let me know what you guys think!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qcJnz6

One guy commented on pcpartpicker, but all he replied with was a new list. Does this mean he improved it? thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sNXRcH

P.S
My current budget build is pretty budget with
DDR3 16gb ram
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B350 ATX MOBO?
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING

Reactions: Why_Me
I built an average budget build during 2020 (worst time, I know). With all these new games coming out, this budget build can't handle it anymore. I've decided that it's finally time to upgrade. I was a little stingy on some parts where I think it would be alright. Let me know what you guys think!

One guy commented on pcpartpicker, but all he replied with was a new list. Does this mean he improved it? thoughts?

P.S
DDR3 16gb ram
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B350 ATX MOBO?

ok first question what is your budget second question do you want do do it piece meal

the ryzen 3600 for example we could salvage and the dd4 16gb is that a kit ?

this is a mod of the guys build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/trZQkJ

i could do a am4 build build around the 3600 with advise of what to upgrade to if your on a tight budget

CommonGamer115

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
ok first question what is your budget second question do you want do do it piece meal

the ryzen 3600 for example we could salvage and the dd4 16gb is that a kit ?

this is a mod of the guys build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/trZQkJ

i could do a am4 build build around the 3600 with advise of what to upgrade to if your on a tight budget
I'd say that my budget is around $1400, I think doing it all at once would be better. Like ripping the bandaid off lol.

I like the sounds of that, but I feel like starting fresh would be ideal down the road, especially since I have a little bit more of an income nowadays.

With your tinkering on that build, I don't have experience with any micro pc's. Are they used for more budget builds? As for storage, would the 2TB SSD be enough? I've heard that storing everything on your SSD slows down your pc a bit.

Sorry, I'm somewhat new when it comes to pc's!

I'd say that my budget is around $1400, I think doing it all at once would be better. Like ripping the bandaid off lol.

I like the sounds of that, but I feel like starting fresh would be ideal down the road, especially since I have a little bit more of an income nowadays.

With your tinkering on that build, I don't have experience with any micro pc's. Are they used for more budget builds? As for storage, would the 2TB SSD be enough? I've heard that storing everything on your SSD slows down your pc a bit.

micro atx is a smaller cheaper motherboard but you only really need a atx if your going to use every slot on the motherboard ( spoiler most people do not ive been using micro atx for years.)

i went for that particular motherboard due to its heatsinks/ its ability to swap out wifi card ( they can go bad after like 2 to 3 years)

2tb is fine its best if you do have 2 drives however second drive would be a pain.

personally its best if you have most of your games on a seperate drive e.g the 2tb.

ive went for the following due to there fast speed that and theres a good possibility that if you went with a gen 5 nvme and a 4 gen nvme that it could limit the bandwidth of the card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2K7VW if you havent already make sure your current windows is assigned to the email. so you can reuse your windows on a new pc if you bought a retail last time.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

What drives do you have right now in your PC?

P.S
DDR3 16gb ram
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B350 ATX MOBO?
Nice build ^^

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try the gpu/psu first. Physically there's not all that much difference between a 3600 and 5600, a few more fps isn't going to make nearly the visible difference like the gpu will. I guess it's hard for me to recommend upgrading to what's essentially the same dead end platform. AM5, a 7600 would be maybe worth it, but not the 5600.

CommonGamer115

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
micro atx is a smaller cheaper motherboard but you only really need a atx if your going to use every slot on the motherboard ( spoiler most people do not ive been using micro atx for years.)

i went for that particular motherboard due to its heatsinks/ its ability to swap out wifi card ( they can go bad after like 2 to 3 years)

2tb is fine its best if you do have 2 drives however second drive would be a pain.

personally its best if you have most of your games on a seperate drive e.g the 2tb.

ive went for the following due to there fast speed that and theres a good possibility that if you went with a gen 5 nvme and a 4 gen nvme that it could limit the bandwidth of the card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2K7VW if you havent already make sure your current windows is assigned to the email. so you can reuse your windows on a new pc if you bought a retail last time.
I like the sound of that and it absolutely makes sense, my current motherboard has a lot of unused slots in a full case lol.

I have heard that the motherboard's wifi isn't the best compared to others, how has it been for you?

So with the two SSD's you added, they're both gen 4? Keeping the two in the same generation wouldn't cause problems with the bandwidth, right?

CommonGamer115

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
Try the gpu/psu first. Physically there's not all that much difference between a 3600 and 5600, a few more fps isn't going to make nearly the visible difference like the gpu will. I guess it's hard for me to recommend upgrading to what's essentially the same dead end platform. AM5, a 7600 would be maybe worth it, but not the 5600.
I guess it wouldn't hurt just trying to change the GPU, right? If it doesn't work like I want it to, I'm guessing that it's super easy to just put it into a whole new build?

I like the sound of that and it absolutely makes sense, my current motherboard has a lot of unused slots in a full case lol.

I have heard that the motherboard's wifi isn't the best compared to others, how has it been for you?

So with the two SSD's you added, they're both gen 4? Keeping the two in the same generation wouldn't cause problems with the bandwidth, right?

small advantage is draws less power as well.

personally I don't use motherboard WIFI I went directly to cable as I hate drop outs the particular board mentioned doesnt come with wifi out the box but you can get a wifi card if needed,
something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSGEAR-NEW...computers&sprefix=intel+ax200+,aps,101&sr=1-2

from what i can tell it can support gen 5 and one gen 4 but since this board supports another gen 3 on the bottom

1 gen 5 x 1 gen 4 and 1 gen 3 which

having all populated could effect the gpu as asrock isnt exactly clear. gen 4 is more then fast enough and cheaper in larger capacity though. and atm i haven't seen 1 game that takes proper advantage of gen 5 speeds yet.

also keep the ssd.

Reactions: CommonGamer115

CommonGamer115

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
small advantage is draws less power as well.

personally I don't use motherboard WIFI I went directly to cable as I hate drop outs the particular board mentioned doesnt come with wifi out the box but you can get a wifi card if needed,
something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSGEAR-NEW-Wireless-AX200NGW-Bluetooth-AX200-NGWG-802-11ax/dp/B07SRFSG1V/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3977CL0DMUMS2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VXFEiOWfwMxt99-SGLtWgQhnQC0K_mVgt1V8L1YIuHVk6H0rNziPH8NW2S_6GYto5bYPXnJhkPPQg78wFQPXDXwvboFDMmvnmV1c1S2OAHbiYhpall7U8g5_d3-kjtXDIQWYA8IdsEdbKbsr_amPAA.atpN_Gz-nof-AhivPk2R0aUiS7n7UjtT8VSaCgRpTKw&dib_tag=se&keywords=Intel+AX200&m=A2AEWZ68B7P4J7&qid=1720145911&refinements=p_6:A2AEWZ68B7P4J7&rnid=419151031&s=computers&sprefix=intel+ax200+,aps,101&sr=1-2

from what i can tell it can support gen 5 and one gen 4 but since this board supports another gen 3 on the bottom

1 gen 5 x 1 gen 4 and 1 gen 3 which

having all populated could effect the gpu as asrock isnt exactly clear. gen 4 is more then fast enough and cheaper in larger capacity though. and atm i haven't seen 1 game that takes proper advantage of gen 5 speeds yet.

also keep the ssd.
I really appreciate all the help sir, I already have an external wifi adapter, so I'll just keep using that. I'm sadly too far away from my ethernet port lol.

I will put my trust into your build and end up building it :) I'll stick to the two gen 4's of course. I do think my current ssd is gen 3, so maybe I'll just end up using that if the mobo can fit it with the gpu in mind.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to update this on how it goes!

I guess it wouldn't hurt just trying to change the GPU, right? If it doesn't work like I want it to, I'm guessing that it's super easy to just put it into a whole new build?

if your going for raw performance amds price to performance is fine it falls of a cliff if you try to do anything with ray tracing on though.

if you want less buggy drivers nvidia is better then amd

amd pros
cheaper/ price to performance for standard gameplay is great. struggles with raytracing.
cons. buggy drivers/isnt as plug in and play least from my experience. moving from amd to nvidia then back to amd i found the image visuals a bit more harsh that i switched back.

nvidia
better driver support/ better raytracing/ my own opinion using both cards found nvidia image quality better.
certain physics are better e.g hair and fur better overall anti aliasing.

with my 4070 super i use a mix of raytracing some games look great others bad.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsz0O93c88

I really appreciate all the help sir, I already have an external wifi adapter, so I'll just keep using that. I'm sadly too far away from my ethernet port lol.

I will put my trust into your build and end up building it :) I'll stick to the two gen 4's of course. I do think my current ssd is gen 3, so maybe I'll just end up using that if the mobo can fit it with the gpu in mind.

so am i to far had to drill a hole threw the walls and floor to run a cable lol its like 4 metres long.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I would go a bit different.

I would reuse your current SSD for the operating system and buy a less expensive 2TB one for the extra storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.91 @ Newegg Sellers)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B760-P WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($133.55 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($569.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1398.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-05 08:32 EDT-0400

Last edited: