Building a new PC for video editing/rendering and gaming $2000ish (help, please!)

May 30, 2018
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $2000ish USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing/rendering, with gaming a close second, creation and editing of graphics, photo editing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: The case and everything in it, though I have a fairly new Noctua NH-D9L CPU cooler I could certainly reuse.

Do you need to buy OS: Probably should. Leaning toward Win7.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences:
* Intel i7 or better CPU. ETA: My video software actually says "Intel i7 chipset or faster, fast AMD chipset" and doesn't specify that either is better. Given that, and that Intel is the one I see suggested for gaming (and, remember, gaming is a close second for my uses), I'm leaning towards Intel.
* Leaning towards 2 or more 8GB internal harddrives (using Backblaze data to make choices), rather than spending the extra for one SSD.
* My video software (Lightworks) recommends NVIDIA GPUs.

Overclocking: Maybe. Can be No if that quite impacts the cost

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Can be No if that quite impacts the cost

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments:
* Quiet, please
* Whilst I like tech that looks nice, I wouldn't want to spend much more for that. (Black is always good. Purple, blue, or red also good. But, again, not important.)
* Need it to last at least 5+ years (because life is about to get expensive)
* I tend to multi-task, so would be good if I could stream YouTube or Netflix whilst I edit/render video or play games. Or warn me if that would be a bad idea.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: PC has started throwing a number of odd errors that I've wasted a weekend making no headway on. And it's headed towards being 5 years old...and I'm about to have demands that mean no more big purchases for at least 5 years. So, now's the time!

(Frankly, if there's a cheaper option that involves me buying a kit or something that's already built, I'll give up the fun of building myself. So suggestions like that are also welcome.)

Thanks!

Solution
A video editing / gaming PC can make you second guess which CPU to buy. Believe me, I've been there. I was stuck on choosing between an Intel i7 8700k and an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X. Both are great CPUs, but as I was on a budget and felt like I would do more video editing, I went with AMD. Editing with the 1700X is amazing, and may I say that although benchmarks make AMD look bad at gaming, it's honestly not that bad. With my GTX 1060, I get around 130fps on Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra and 70-80fps on Far Cry 5 on High.

Anyway, let's talk about your build. A video editing / gaming build is always an interesting build. (Note I'll be using AUD prices for this, so you can convert to your preferred dollar. Also note that parts might be cheaper...

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
My currency is different but I think it's pretty close to your budget:
Intel 8700K coffeelake
nvidia 1070 or 1060
more than 16GB corsair vengeance ram
MSI Carbon Gaming AC
Hard drive of your choice (I recommend seagate Barracuda.)

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
For video rendering, people usually recommend AMD cpu's as the rendering software can make use of all the cores. Games tend to use a restricted number of cores/threads, so the more powerful single thread performance of Intel makes them better.

Check out a few Ryzen v Intel rendering benchtests.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
A video editing / gaming PC can make you second guess which CPU to buy. Believe me, I've been there. I was stuck on choosing between an Intel i7 8700k and an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X. Both are great CPUs, but as I was on a budget and felt like I would do more video editing, I went with AMD. Editing with the 1700X is amazing, and may I say that although benchmarks make AMD look bad at gaming, it's honestly not that bad. With my GTX 1060, I get around 130fps on Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra and 70-80fps on Far Cry 5 on High.

Anyway, let's talk about your build. A video editing / gaming build is always an interesting build. (Note I'll be using AUD prices for this, so you can convert to your preferred dollar. Also note that parts might be cheaper in your country than it is in Australia, I am not entirely sure though.)

You prefer an Intel CPU, so I'd go with an i7 8700K for a good mix of video editing power and gaming power. This will cost $500AUD.

For RAM, go DDR4 16GB at the least. If you have a little more money, you can invest into 32GB but I don't really see the point. Go for a RAM speed of around 3000Mhz. You can choose which brand and if you want RGB or not. RAM is a bit expensive at the moment, but you can pick up a 2x8GB set for between $250-$285AUD.

For your graphics card, I'd either go for a GTX 1060 6GB or a GTX 1070. If you can wait longer (and spend a bit more money), the new GTX 1180/2080 is releasing in the next few months, and is expected to be 50% more powerful than a GTX 1080 and 20% more powerful than a GTX 1080 Ti.
Graphics prices are still a bit high at the moment. A GTX 1060 is above $450AUD at the moment, and a GTX 1070 is above $650AUD. The new GTX 1180's are expected to release at a price of $900AUD ($700USD).

Motherboards are all really the same. Grab an ATX gaming Z370 motherboard, and choose if you want heaps of overclocking support or a little bit. It's all to personal preference really.

For storage, grab an 250GB NVME M.2 SSD for either 1. your boot drive and games or 2. games and videos. Or grab a normal SATA SSD.
If you don't care about speeds, grab a couple of cheap WD or Seagate harddrives with a large capacity.

The case is another "case" of personal preference (see what I did there?). Just make sure it is compatible with an ATX motherboard, has enough storage space and has enough GPU space. The Define R6 is a great choice, is big enough for everything yet its small. And it has heaps of HDD trays! Be wary, it is a bit on the expensive side (you pay for the brand essentially).

For a PSU, a 600W or 500W 80 Plus Gold PSU should be more than enough.

You can grab a cheap copy of Windows 7 (or Windows 10) off websites like CDkeys.com. They are legit, I got my copy of Windows 10 for $35AUD.

And that's it! (I think).
If you have any questions or problems, feel free to comment.

Hope this helped!
-Lachlan :)

Solution