[SOLVED] Building a new PC. Would like some thoughts on my current sound card vs a newer one.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi, I'm building a new PC and I'm trying to decide if I should get a better sound card or just stick with what I have. I currently have an Asus Strix SOAR, and when I'm listening to anything I'm using Sennheiser HD 558 open back headphones.

I suppose I should add that the MB I'm getting is a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Pro WiFi. I hear it has a good built in sound card, but I have no idea how it stacks up to a SOAR.

I wasn't sure if getting a higher end card would do me much good or not.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi, I'm building a new PC and I'm trying to decide if I should get a better sound card or just stick with what I have. I currently have an Asus Strix SOAR, and when I'm listening to anything I'm using Sennheiser HD 558 open back headphones.

I suppose I should add that the MB I'm getting is a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Pro WiFi. I hear it has a good built in sound card, but I have no idea how it stacks up to a SOAR.

Thanks!
I'd wait and test with the new motherboard onboard sound and then with the Soar before deciding to buy anything else.

Thanks!
I'd wait and test with the new motherboard onboard sound and then with the Soar before deciding to buy anything else.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not much of an audiophile, usually just the basic realtek chipset and then the decent ALC 1220, which is what I have been going after the last few boards. Haven't had any issues yet.

Last time I bought a sound card was interference from my GPUs getting into the mic input, other people could hear my frame rate... (Never did solve that in WoW, had to frame limit to 60hz otherwise it would come through, kind of sounded like a motorcycle)

Reactions: Phaaze88