Building a new PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sooner535

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hello, first let me say I am not 100% fluent when it comes to PC work, I have picked up a lot but I usually stay away from general talks about components and the likes. With that said I would like to build a new PC, my old one is extremely dated and I could use a new one. Here would be the following requirements:

Under 3,000$ (with shipping included)
Little to no maintenance
Would like to be as close to top line as possible so I don't have to get a new one for a long time, so if it needed to creep over 3k, then that is fine.
I want to connect my PC to my (eventual) new TV, I plan to go for a 70ish inch TV, not a 4k but a HD one, so I imagine a bigger TV needs more powerful components since it is displaying more?

Anyways could someone help me pick out good parts and give me ideas on how to build one correctly? I have a few questions about the whole thing too:

Wiring, can someone give me advice on this? Especially when it comes to the PSU to things? If it's a 4-prong connector, and my GPU and CPU uses a 4-prong one, can it connect to either? Or are there certain rules for that?
When it comes to fans and the like, how often should you air clean the PC?
Why do multiple companies make GTX 1080s for example, which ones are good? What are the bad companies when it comes to components?

Thank you to anyone who helps, I really appreciate it :)

Solution

I changed the motherboard since Z370 boards need to have the BIOS updated before they'll work with the 9 series CPU's. Also added in a SSD (you'll thank me later) and changed the fan (red for a black/white build?!?!).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($534.90 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151...

WildCard999

Titan

The built in audio in the motherboards nowadays is really good, try it out first before considering a audio card. As for the internet connect it via Ethernet cable.