[SOLVED] Building a new system, general questions

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Hi, I would like a little advice on how to proceed with building my new system - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/#view=tQBmD3

1. I have one of those old computer bays in my desk. (click to see picture) There's about 1.5 inches on both sides of the case, and 3.5 inches above. The case only has ventilation from the front, back and top. I also have a room air conditioner for my room. I would really like to put the computer in this bay, that way the computer is completely out of my way. Please share your opinions on this.

2. I now have the case, power supply, keyboard & mouse and motherboard. Can I go ahead and put these together and test to see that the motherboard works? A long time ago, I had a problem putting a system together because I did not screw in the motherboard properly. The rest of the parts will be here by Wednesday. Should I just wait? If I do wait, what's the minimal build that will allow me to test to make sure the bios boots up?

3. I've never installed case fans. Are there any problems I should be aware of? Are there any really dumb things I could do (I'm good at those)?

4. Do you happen to know of any videos worth watching? I found one simple one. But it did not show case fans or inserting an m2 device (I've never installed one of those before, looks simple enough). I also found one that looked really good with regard to the components I will use, but the guy kept talking and talking. I want to avoid those.

5. Are anti-static gloves really necessary if I ground myself properly?

Thanks for any help with these questions,
Andy

Solution
Although u have a pretty high end system,if the temps are right and you clean the dust regularly (every 2 weeks),i see ne problem with putting ur pc in the desk.10x better than on the carpet.
The bare minimum you need to turn the 'pc'
on is cpu,mobo,ram and the psu.That will be enough to get to the bios and there u can check if everything is as it should be.
When installing fans,especially the top ones,be careful so they dont fall,that just it.Also screw them in cross pattern,that way if you screw only 2 screws im,it will be enough to hold them so you can stop holding them with your hand.
There are tons of good guides,but if you really need that much guidance,i say this is one of your best bets:
View...
Although u have a pretty high end system,if the temps are right and you clean the dust regularly (every 2 weeks),i see ne problem with putting ur pc in the desk.10x better than on the carpet.
The bare minimum you need to turn the 'pc'
on is cpu,mobo,ram and the psu.That will be enough to get to the bios and there u can check if everything is as it should be.
When installing fans,especially the top ones,be careful so they dont fall,that just it.Also screw them in cross pattern,that way if you screw only 2 screws im,it will be enough to hold them so you can stop holding them with your hand.
There are tons of good guides,but if you really need that much guidance,i say this is one of your best bets:
View: https://youtu.be/v7MYOpFONCU

No they are not necessary.
Now onto the pc.
3700X,great choice.
Also using x570 isnt a bad idea,but if your gonna overclock,you should buy a aftermarket cooler.
The ram is good,2x8gb at 3600mhz,solid.
For the storage,thats your choice,nice u got a fast m.2 in there for windows.
The rx 580 8gb is one of the best budget 1080p cards,that can honestly play any title at medium/high settings at 1080p.If your goal is higher than that,then come back here to discuss a potential gou upgrade.
The case,again your choice.The psu is pretty good,no worries there.You do not need to pay 100$ for a windows license,there are many cheaper ways of doing that.

Reactions: Andrew_Werber
Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Hi, I would like a little advice on how to proceed with building my new system - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/#view=tQBmD3

1. I have one of those old computer bays in my desk. (click to see picture) There's about 1.5 inches on both sides of the case, and 3.5 inches above. The case only has ventilation from the front, back and top. I also have a room air conditioner for my room. I would really like to put the computer in this bay, that way the computer is completely out of my way. Please share your opinions on this.

You could easily build something in there but I would suggest finding some way to circulate air flow otherwise you will run into heating issues.

2. I now have the case, power supply, keyboard & mouse and motherboard. Can I go ahead and put these together and test to see that the motherboard works? A long time ago, I had a problem putting a system together because I did not screw in the motherboard properly. The rest of the parts will be here by Wednesday. Should I just wait? If I do wait, what's the minimal build that will allow me to test to make sure the bios boots up?

Yeah usually most people build outside of the case first because for one thing it makes installing of smaller components such as M2 drives and fans much easier and also to make sure that things work. All you really need is a PSU, motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

3. I've never installed case fans. Are there any problems I should be aware of? Are there any really dumb things I could do (I'm good at those)?

Do you intend to reuse that case? If you are building in that tight of an area I would suggest getting something with more air flow. There's plenty of options out there that can fit that space. As far as case fans go, just make sure that you get fans that fit the mounts and you tighten them as much as possible to avoid vibration.

4. Do you happen to know of any videos worth watching? I found one simple one. But it did not show case fans or inserting an m2 device (I've never installed one of those before, looks simple enough). I also found one that looked really good with regard to the components I will use, but the guy kept talking and talking. I want to avoid those.

There's a lot of videos out there, but there's also a lot of out a lot of videos out there that are way out of date. I don't know what the best channels are right now since I have been out of the Youtube loop for a while but I'm sure there are some good ones out there.

5. Are anti-static gloves really necessary if I ground myself properly?

I've personally never needed them. You really only need them if you're working with live (powered on) equipment. Just make sure you build in a very clean environment and you shouldn't need to worry about things like static and dirt.

Reactions: Andrew_Werber
Like g-unit1111 I'd have definitely suggested a different case than that thermaltake.

Airflow in that is extremely limited imo when your running something like a ryzen 7.

You've spent $52 on noctua fans there, for another $30 or so you could have got a new case with decent preinstalled coming that would do a way better job than that old thermaltake with the noctua fitted.

Re the cupboard, remove as much of the back panel in that bay as you can - you want it entirely open if you can.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I'd saw out the entiretly of that back panel if it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the desk. Without a shot, no way of knowing what the airflow is back there. If there's only a hole for cables to pass through, heat's not going to get out the PC area very efficiently.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Like g-unit1111 I'd have definitely suggested a different case than that thermaltake.

Airflow in that is extremely limited imo when your running something like a ryzen 7.

You've spent $52 on noctua fans there, for another $30 or so you could have got a new case with decent preinstalled coming that would do a way better job than that old thermaltake with the noctua fitted.

Re the cupboard, remove as much of the back panel in that bay as you can - you want it entirely open if you can.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my question. The back panel was gone for a previous computer. My original plan was to place the computer to the right of the bay. But there's a solid wood lip about 1/2 inch high, so there's only 19 inches from the back of the desk to where I sit. The case I selected was based on that depth requirement. I did look into cube cases, but I did not want to get one of those unless I had no choice.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my question. The back panel was gone for a previous computer. My original plan was to place the computer to the right of the bay. But there's a solid wood lip about 1/2 inch high, so there's only 19 inches from the back of the desk to where I sit. The case I selected was based on that depth requirement. I did look into cube cases, but I did not want to get one of those unless I had no choice.

OK, just wanted to make sure. We could only see the very top of the back panel from your photo.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
You could easily build something in there but I would suggest finding some way to circulate air flow otherwise you will run into heating issues.

Yeah usually most people build outside of the case first because for one thing it makes installing of smaller components such as M2 drives and fans much easier and also to make sure that things work. All you really need is a PSU, motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Do you intend to reuse that case? If you are building in that tight of an area I would suggest getting something with more air flow. There's plenty of options out there that can fit that space. As far as case fans go, just make sure that you get fans that fit the mounts and you tighten them as much as possible to avoid vibration.

There's a lot of videos out there, but there's also a lot of out a lot of videos out there that are way out of date. I don't know what the best channels are right now since I have been out of the Youtube loop for a while but I'm sure there are some good ones out there.

I've personally never needed them. You really only need them if you're working with live (powered on) equipment. Just make sure you build in a very clean environment and you shouldn't need to worry about things like static and dirt.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really wanted to split the Best Answer with you and Djoza. But it looks like I cannot do that.

Reactions: g-unit1111