[SOLVED] Building a new system with some old parts

lebercr

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Hey all,

I am likely going to build a new PC, and feedback here has always been helpful. I am going to use some of my existing equipment and mainly buy a new motherboard, CPU, memory, and what not. I've created a list over at PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yGt6jp. I'm not big in to the RGB stuff so I've chosen parts that don't use it. The CPU should do what I want for gaming and the occasional workhorse stuff, but mostly for gaming. The motherboard I chose has a lot of USB ports and SATA ports which I need (I have other hard drive I may put in), and I have a Ethernet cable to plug in, and only need Bluetooth support if possible (I have a dongle I can use). I noticed there was note about using M.2 slots disables one or two of the SATA ports and I'm not sure if that is with all motherboards or this one in particular? The other things I've chosen, because I either recognize the brand or have used the brand products before, but I am open to other suggestions. I look forward to any feedback and comments on the parts I have selected

Solution
My suggestion is to go online and read the applicable User Guides/Manuals for each component being considered.

Starting with the Motherboard. Read the specs, the supported components, the notes, and (of course) the fine print.

In many cases the Motherboard Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more details and/or updated information. While at the manufacturers' websites read their Forums and FAQs.

Pay attention to what is said as well as to what is not said. Details matter.

M.2 does not disable SATA ports per se. It just simply uses them and the SATA ports are no longer available for other components to use.

Plan your build step by step and verify both compatibilities and physical installation via the...

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to go online and read the applicable User Guides/Manuals for each component being considered.

Starting with the Motherboard. Read the specs, the supported components, the notes, and (of course) the fine print.

In many cases the Motherboard Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more details and/or updated information. While at the manufacturers' websites read their Forums and FAQs.

Pay attention to what is said as well as to what is not said. Details matter.

M.2 does not disable SATA ports per se. It just simply uses them and the SATA ports are no longer available for other components to use.

Plan your build step by step and verify both compatibilities and physical installation via the applicable documentation.

Solution