Question Building a PC for competitive gaming + streaming (Fortnite)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2019
Hi guys, Im new to PC building and I'm looking to build a rig capable of maintaining a 200 +FPS while streaming. I basically starting from scratch and so I need everything, including OS, monitor, Keyb&mouse, etc. I have a budget of 3000$ CAD and I would really appreciate any guidance and help.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Remixislandmusic: I agree i think it actually has best single core performance from all available processors. Thing is fortnite is one of those odd games where i cant even max out my 9 year old i7-875k even with the new "Multithreaded rendering" option in fortnite, i also tried different affinity which gets my 4 out of 8 cores to 99% usage but there is noway to fully use more than that, even if you use 2080ti. Looks like never ending job for epic games to optimize the game more, its the only game where ram speed matters significantly and you can get like 50-75 fps boost from going 1600 => 3200 mhz. If he wants most fps get the fastest ddr4 ram available and overclock it even more coupled with i9-9900k.

Senshi you should try different monitors first like the suggestion i made, and something like pg258q / xl2546 too these all have same panel but have differences in blur reduction and colours / input lag.

Jun 9, 2019
Hi guys so everything is put together and I played a lot yesterday on my 60 Hz monitor and shit was great. Today my 240 Hz LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" came in. Fagetti, I appreciate your suggestion but it was too late i had only seen your message today. But maybe you guys can help me fix a problem I am currently dealing with. The pc is putting out stupid FPS numbers on fortnite but I am having a problem with the screen acting very strange each time i move horizontally or even vertically and Im thinking this is screen tearing however I'm not sure. I have tried experimenting with G-sync on and off but still no solution. Do you guys have any ideas on what to try next.

WildCard999

Titan
Hi guys so everything is put together and I played a lot yesterday on my 60 Hz monitor and shit was great. Today my 240 Hz LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" came in. Fagetti, I appreciate your suggestion but it was too late i had only seen your message today. But maybe you guys can help me fix a problem I am currently dealing with. The pc is putting out stupid FPS numbers on fortnite but I am having a problem with the screen acting very strange each time i move horizontally or even vertically and Im thinking this is screen tearing however I'm not sure. I have tried experimenting with G-sync on and off but still no solution. Do you guys have any ideas on what to try next.
How is it connected?

Did you follow the instructions?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Did you turn Freesync on with the monitor? It's in the monitor settings.

Even with Freesync/Gsync on you'll still want to use vsync to cap the FPS as Freesync/Gsync doesn't work above the max refresh rate for the monitor.

Jun 9, 2019
Its connected through both hdmi and the display port, and yes I followed the instructions. I had Vsync on as well and still the screen felt shaky. (Best way I can describe it)

WildCard999

Titan
Its connected through both hdmi and the display port, and yes I followed the instructions. I had Vsync on as well and still the screen felt shaky. (Best way I can describe it)
Why are you using both HDMI & Displayport? Just use the Displayport cable. The Freesync/Nvidia GPU setup doesn't work with HDMI.

Or if your using the HDMI for the second monitor disconnect it for now until this is fixed.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
  1. you actually turned 240 hz from nvidia control panel right?
  2. set your mouse polling rate to 1000 or atleast 500
  3. Most importantly: Turn off v-sync, turn off 1ms motion blur reduction and select fastest response time. These can be found in monitors own settings "game adjust"
  4. What i said on 3. should do since not EVERYONE like motion blue reduction , but if even that wont work then try 144hz from nvidia control panel as refresh rate (this is not a solution to go 144hz when you have 240hz panel but just for testing purposes)

Jun 9, 2019
The best combination so far has been the G-sync with V-sync on in game. However i still have screen stuttering consistently and FPS would be capped at 60 .

WildCard999

Titan
Fortnites not in steam. Reinstall is needed.
True but isn't there a launcher for Fortnite? I could of sworn there is and within it an option to verify the files.
It's been awhile since I played it (April) so either maybe it's changed or nonexistent but I was sure it was there when I was fixing up a system for a friends kid who wanted me to setup the settings for Fortnite for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.