Question Building a PC Help

Nov 5, 2023
Currently in the process of figuring out my build and I already have some parts from an old build. I do not game, and I want to spend the least amount of money as possible. I built a PC a while ago with the same hardware except CPU, RAM, MB (I no longer have this PC so I am going off my memory).

The apps I would be running are: zoom, slack, multiple msft apps, visualization tools, and chrome

Previous parts before I returned CPU, MB, RAM:
Current Concerns:
  • High Temps , with the 12900k build, my CPU and GPU temps were consistently over 80C during low-normal work loads
    • My gpu is notorious for getting hot
    • I cranked all my case fans to circulate air, but temps still remained high
  • Bottleneck
    • GPU bottle necking the rest of the hardware, but i dont think it matters in my case since I dont care about high resolution and high frame rates, 720p @ 60htz is fine for me
    • PSU not high enough, but my list says I should be fine especially because I there is still 100W headroom
  • Intel CPU: from what I can tell, this isnt a huge issue since I dont plan on OC and warranty is extended to 5 years (which i will probably replace by then)
  • GPU issues: only need GPU to use 4+ monitors because without it, the 34" curved monitor would use ALOT of ram and push me close to 32GB ram use vs under 20GB without 34" ultrawide
    • On my old setup, after I got the GPU (bought used for a steal, and looked in great condition) 1 of 2 things would happen
      • Install GPU Driver: caused resolution issues on curved monitor, and spent hours trying to debug the issue, and nothing worked, BUT all my monitors would work(34" curved just had resolution issues)
      • Not Install driver: 34" curved had proper resolution, but 1-2 of my other monitors would not even connect
        • I changed up the 24" screens to use discrete graphics, but still caused issues
        • Changed out cables, nothing
What I need to buy: I am pretty set on this because I fortunately live near a Microcenter, and the CPU price/performance on this bundle is noticeably better than AMDs in the same range (likely because those AMD bundles are gears towards gamers).
What I have:
I dont know if I should be worried about the CPU/GPU temps being over 80C under normal-low workloads. But I think my resolution is either 1 or a combination of the following. I want minimize my money spent on the solution.
  • PSU replacement: I'm only considering this, because for some reason, after using 12900k build for 3 weeks it suddenly started went slow (Hardware utilization rates were not even half) All the wattage calculators say the setup would top out at 550W so maybe not the issue
  • GPU replacement: I am ok with getting a used one, but would need help here, because I do not know anything about GPUs since I was using discrete graphics on 4 x 24"
    • Only bought one once I bought a 34" curved - this was a few weeks into having the 12900k build.
    • would ideally want to run 4 monitors on it, 2 of which are 34", if not, I can run the 24" ones on discrete since they barely use CPU & RAM
  • Case replacement: Im guessing the glass front panel isnt ideal for intake fans and may have a high impact on temps (i dont know to be honest)
  • CPU Cooler replacement: would only consider Thermalright AIO because all the other brands are way too expensive (would not want to spend more than $70)
PC Part list for easy reference

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, I wouldn't invest in anything Intel for the next couple of generations after GamersNexus mentioned that the issue that's now documented on the www was well known by Intel but decided to keep hush hush about it.

You're also not doing yourself a favor by being in the same platform that was known to have bugs/issues with their motherboard BIOS, power limits and their processor fab dept.

The apps I would be running are: zoom, slack, multiple msft apps, visualization tools, and chrome
You'd be easily able to work with said apps on AMD as well.

I dont know if I should be worried about the CPU/GPU temps being over 80C under normal-low workloads. But I think my resolution is either 1 or a combination of the following. I want minimize my money spent on the solution.
I see that this is your case;
https://www.thermaltake.com/view-200-tg-snow-argb-mid-tower-chassis.html
if so, take the front fascia off and see if your temps drop. Following that see if a BIOS update is pending on your motherboard.

Yes I'm trying to salvage your build instead of you going out to spend more money to net the same performance/issue.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Nov 5, 2023
IMHO, I wouldn't invest in anything Intel for the next couple of generations after GamersNexus mentioned that the issue that's now documented on the www was well known by Intel but decided to keep hush hush about it.

You're also not doing yourself a favor by being in the same platform that was known to have bugs/issues with their motherboard BIOS, power limits and their processor fab dept.

You'd be easily able to work with said apps on AMD as well.

I see that this is your case;
https://www.thermaltake.com/view-200-tg-snow-argb-mid-tower-chassis.html
if so, take the front fascia off and see if your temps drop. Following that see if a BIOS update is pending on your motherboard.

Yes I'm trying to salvage your build instead of you going out to spend more money to net the same performance/issue.
Ah I see, I think you’re saying even though there’s been a patch that seems decent, and extended warranty, who knows what other issues there will be between now and 5 years (when I project I will replace my pc).

Basically a lot has happened and I don’t have a CPU or MB right now, still have DDR5 32gb sticks. I just figured any other bundle out there, getting the microcenter bundle just makes sense, because I can just sell one of my ram kits.

Mixrocenter bundles: I wanted to spend less than $400 for MB, ram, CPU, but the specs on the 14700k bundle seemed to justify the extra $80 vs 12900k bundle. Do you have any recommendations from the microcenter bundles? Or any cpu/mb combo in 300-350 range (can be outside micrometer)

Edit:
Also, by taking the front glass off, would I need to worry about dust getting into the system and negatively affecting the lifespan of the hardware?

Though I want to minimize my cost, but I don’t want to do it at the expense of the overall health/longevity of the system. So if I need to dole
Out an extra 60-70$ to not heavily cut corners at the expense of the system, that is ok with me

Last edited:
Price/performance is comparable between intel/amd.
If you are familiar with Intel, I would stick with that.

Changing to amd makes you need to get ram compatibility right.
AMD depends on fast ram for performance.

The key for current gen intel is to update your motherboard bios to currency.
That sets the default to normal voltages and intel standards.

Your parts list is reasonable.

I would buy a better quality psu, one with a 7 or 10 year warranty.
And, one in the 750-850w range.
It will only use the power depended of it, regardless of the max capability.
It will loaf in the most efficient middle third of it's range.

Your case is a very good one for air cooling and your selected cooler is reasonable.
The bios update will keep voltages under control.
It is excessive voltages that cause damage and generate heat.

Do you know that aio coolers do not last forever?
In time, the mechanical pump fails or gets clogged.
Or, air intrudes through the tubes and the unit must be replaced.
Think 5 years.
And, 280 sized aio units have about the same cooling potential as the cooler you selected.