Question Building a PC to function as/replace a Steam Link

Feb 13, 2021
Hey there, first post so apologies for any ettiquette that I accidentally break here. Basically I'm trying to figure out the minimum specs I need for a media computer that will basically function as a Steam Link. While the Steam Link itself is a neat piece of hardware, the sound delay I get with it is frustrating and most importantly I can't use my keypad or gaming mouse with it due to it not having the drivers to recognize the changed keybinds.

My primary desktop should be doing all the heavy lifting, all this other computer needs to do is to be able to remote desktop into my primary desktop through software like Parsec. If possible I'd like it to be able to do things like stream media at 4k from sites like Youtube or Netflix but I can probably do without if that would dramatically increase the price. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I currently have a PSU laying around which I can use, along with all the peripherals I need.

Secondarily, if anyone knows of any other solutions for streaming games to another room in the house that would allow me to use my fancy pants mouse that don't involve buying a whole PC, that would be appreciated as well.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wasn't really familiar with the service.

Steam Link on Steam (steampowered.com)

It appears that it is designed to stream only to low power devices, basically like wireless monitor type thing.
I would make the assumption that in a situation where there was another PC that it would just be loaded with the Steam app/client and you can stream from one computer where it's installed to the PC. I have experience with the latter and it requires the PC to be capable of playing the game.

I may not be fully understanding what you are trying to accomplish.

Feb 13, 2021
Sorry, I'll elaborate for clarity.

You connnect the Steam Link to a TV or other display, and then you connect to your PC via the internet or local network and it streams your PCs output, basically it's a small device built exclusively for Remote Desktop purposes. The PC is the computer doing most of the work here, the Steam Link is just decoding the video stream from the PC and taking in inputs from connected devices.

Basically I wish to build a computer that would serve the same purpose, as a receiver for Remote Desktop software such as Parsec or TeamViewer.

Edit: For further clarity, I currently have a functioning desktop PC which will be broadcasting all this stuff, what I need is a PC to replace the Steam Link in this process.