Building a pc

Lukeus

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
This is a list of the parts that I am thinking of purchasing for my first build but if I'm honest I'm not 100% sure if they are all compatible as I'm new to PC building

Case: CiT black widow mesh
CPU: AMD FX8320 black edition 8core 64bit processor am3+
Motherboard: asus m5a78l-m/usb3
Graphics card: sapphire PCI express r9 280x 3gb
Ram: g.skill 8gb xl ddr3 2x 4
Power supply: corsair cx 500 watt
1tb wb hard drive
Samsung 24x retail sata dvd

Solution
I do not recommend the AXi series. Skip Corsair. Their affordable stuff is crap and their quality stuff is WAY overpriced.

Go for Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,G2,B2)

Don't buy a 10000rpm drive. All gimmicks. No faster than 7200rpm and WAY more expensive.

Also, "never buy an air cooler for more than $35"??? TERRIBLE advice. Air cooler perform better/ much more quiet than liquid coolers under $100 at EVERY level. Don;t buy a closed loop cooler under $100. A cheaper and MUCH quieter air cooler will beat it every time.

puttu94

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Compatibility.. its a simple thing when it comes to PC.. Here are the things you would want to keep in mind..

1. Decide upon which CPU you want first..AMD CPUs need more power, they run at higher clocks, put out more heat, have 1 thread per core, not so expensive..intel ones are more efficient, take less power, run at slightly lower clocks, have 2 threads per core..2 threads per core=1.25x the performance..but they are expensive..
2. Lookup what socket is that CPU compatible with.. e.g., AMD FX8320 requires socket AM3+, intel 5960x requires socket LGA2011-v3, etc.
3. Look for a motherboard that has this socket to take the processor you are about to buy..
4. Now you will probably find a range of motherboards that support your processor..now you check what kind of RAM you need, the speed, class of memory modules you want to use.. currently boards made for AMD CPUs support only DDR3 modules AFAIK..If you want to use DDR4 look for a motherboard that supports it..AFAIK only motherboards with x99 chipset support
5. Chipset: This is all about features you want your board to support..some may have onboard wifi 802.11 ac support and some may not, some may have more number of USB 3.0 ports, some may have more number of sata III 6GB/s ports to plug in your drives..
6. Graphics card: As long as your motherboard has required number of PCIe slots, you are fine to select whichever card you want..'the only thing you wanna keep in mind is the graphics car's power consumption- to calculate what your PC's total power requirement would be..
7. Hard drive: I would always choose an SSD like 180GB or 256GB to install the OS, and a 2 or 4TB 7200rpm or 10000rpm HDD for bulk storage..that way you wont compromise on speed as u are having ur OS on an SSD and you dont have to shell out a lotta money to store ur data as u are using cheap still fast enough memory..
8. RAM: The modern boards support DDR3 or DDR4 modules and no board supports both of them..DDR4s are little bit faster, more power efficient, but damn expensive..for all gaming purposes, DDR3 modules with 1600MHz or higher speed is sufficient.. 16GB would be ideal to start with..
9. Power supply: You have lot of websites, which give you the peak power consumption of your PC if you key in your components..just find out what it your config's max power requirement would be.. ideal would be to buy a power supply with a wattage which is around 30% more than the peak wattage of your PC..this is to allow for minor upgrades you would want to do in the future and to allow for the errors in calculation of power consumption and power loss in a PSU..e.g., if my peak power consumption is 450W, i would buy a 650 or a 750W power supply..corsair makes very good ones..

I would go with a fully modular power supply like corsair AX760i..fully modular means you can connect the cables that you actually need and save some space..it makes cable management inside the case easy..so cooling the system becomes easier..

10. Case: For starters, I would advice cooler master haf 912..or if you can find a case with these features, you can go with it..
-mid tower case that supports ATX form factor(ATX, mATX, mini-ITX, EATX are all different sizes of motherboards)
-PSU slot at the bottom
-at least 4 120mm fan slots
-at least half an inch space behing the motherboard tray to manage cables..

a better case than CM haf 912 would be fractal design define r5..best ATX mid tower case I have ever seen..

11.CPU cooler(optional): They replace stock CPU heatsink and fan assembly with a better more efficient one, that produces less noise(especially AMD's stock cooler is very whiney, noisy.. there are both air and liquid coolers available.. for starters cooler master tx3 is a good choice..never buy an air cooler which costs more than $35..

I do not recommend the AXi series. Skip Corsair. Their affordable stuff is crap and their quality stuff is WAY overpriced.

Go for Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,G2,B2)

Don't buy a 10000rpm drive. All gimmicks. No faster than 7200rpm and WAY more expensive.

Also, "never buy an air cooler for more than $35"??? TERRIBLE advice. Air cooler perform better/ much more quiet than liquid coolers under $100 at EVERY level. Don;t buy a closed loop cooler under $100. A cheaper and MUCH quieter air cooler will beat it every time.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

All I can say is OUCH!!! Do more research!!! Most of your information is wrong.

puttu94

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

I have a noctua nh-d14..i know what its like to have the best air cooler out there..its cool and silent, but you can't overclock much like you can on a liquid cooler..at stock clocks the only thing that can beat a noctua nh-d14 is a 240mm closed loop cooler with motor running on full speed and fans running on 60-70%..the thick corsair h80i can't beat it..but if i am planning on OC'ing it just can't keep up with the heat like liquid coolers do..

corsair AXi series are 80+ platinum certified..and u call it crap..

You are plain wrong. Sorry. Your D14 was not installed properly. Couldn't have been. It performs identically to an h100i in every benchmark. Google it.

Overclocking changes NOTHING between air and water. All the same physics apply. Sorry, but you are just wrong. Overclocking a CPU doesn;t magically change the laws of thermodynamics.

Also I never said the AXi were crap. I said other Corsair units are crap. The AXi units are high quality, but VERY overpriced compared to similar quality units. Typical Corsair.

puttu94

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

OP said he was a beginner..i just told regarding what aspects he needs to research..and they are examples..e.g., in my place i dont get fractal design products..so i said CM haf 912..I am not asking him to get the products i said on my post..

puttu94

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

i am pretty sure my d14 is installed properly.. h100i beats d14 by a very small margin like 1-2C temperature difference at peak load..but h100 runs really loud at that temperatures..

wrong info like what? i admit there maybe some mistakes..do correct them, please..

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You should read what he really said.
Just a example of what he was saying.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/corsair-power-supply-ax860i%2Cevga-power-supply-220g20850xr%2Cseasonic-power-supply-platinum860%2Cseasonic-power-supply-x850/
The H100i beats the D14 by 2C at the same noise level.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/914?vs=932
But for most people the Hyper 212 is a much better buy especially on a budget.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/915?vs=923