Building a server

G

I plan on setting up a server at my house over the next month. Im going to be getting 1.1/1.1 SDSL from Speakeasy.net. I want to setup 1 game server (Counter-Strike right now, though Im sure it will change with the times) and a small webserver and mail server.

I want to run Linux Redhat. They offer a "professional server" package which seems to be easier to use and comes with more things, but its more expensive. I could buy the standard package for like $30. But I'd rather spend more money for more documentation and more programs.

Anyways, Im looking into building/buying a server for this. Can 1 machine handle all of this? The webpage gets maybe 5000 hits a month, and I'd have like 20 people using my email server.

What kind of parts should I look at getting? Here at work we use like P3 800s, 256MB ram, etc. Will that be enough?

Thanks for any input.

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I personally think that would be fine. I setup a Celeron 333 server on my cable modem that handles my IP sharing and can run my newest games too.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

That would probably be overkill. Your limiting factor for such would probably be the upload bandwidth for the game server. I've run dual half-life dedicated servers on a 350 P2 in Win98 (ICK!) with only 64 MB RAM without a hitch. This was on a LAN so bandwidth wasn't too much of an issue. Running Linux you'll be set with a lower end processor and keeping the memory up there. Plus, with Linux if you're paying, all you're paying for is support and manuals. The programs and such are easily downloadable.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."