Building a small business server

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
OK, so I am looking at building a server for a small business I support. I do tons of PC support, and support their server too, but have not built or setup one before. So I am risking a bit here, but I've told them my situation and they still say they can't find anyone else to do it, so they've asked me to go forward. So here we go...

I've looked at pre-made servers and it just seems like you're throwing away money buying a basic server from HP or Dell. Their current server is right now about 8 years old, so their needs are not high end. But it has a version of Windows server that is too out of date to allow a software upgrade that they need, so it's time for a new server.

Very little processing is done by the server, but it does do some. That said, what processing it does is (obviously) done by an 8 year old processor, so clearly the new system does not need a ton of horsepower. But might as well try to make it good for another 10 years, right?

So I'm thinking of basically a glorified workstation. Right now they have 2 CPU cores, 2 GB of RAM. I figure a Kaby Lake i7 will run cool and be more that powerful enough for a long time for them. What do you think about this motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132934

I figure I will set up two Intel or Samsung 850 SSDs in a RAID 1 in case of failure. I also figure (perhaps naively) that dual LAN ports indicates a motherboard somewhat more built for business. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is a server that sits in a closet and runs 24/7, no user at it of course. They do not run a domain. The server operates as a file server and database server for a small database program, again, that runs ok (but getting slow) on their 8 year old server.

I figure installing Windows Server 2016 is a good idea, to provide the longest lifespan possible. 2012 is so long ago already.

Pop in 8 GB of RAM, maybe 12 or 16. That motherboard has 4 slots.

Any advice is appreciated, including advice that I really should just buy a server from Dell or HP.

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Build a server, not a gaming rig would be my first bit of advice.

Honestly, you should strongly consider purchasing a server (along with warranty/support) since this is for business needs.

The most basic question before determining your server needs is simple. What will this server do? Is it a domain controller, a file server, a back up server, an application server, etc? You have done some of this.

Also, what is your budget?

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, building a server instead of a gaming rig was my goal, is there something I chose that would not be a good choice? I know I got a motherboard that is not a "server" motherboard but I'm hoping that a high quality board like what I got is good enough to run reliably 24/7 for months without the extra spending that a server board entails, including those Xeon processors.

The function of the server I mentioned - file server and a database that does not require a ton of horsepower.

The budget is not fixed, since we don't really know what you need to spend to get something that does the job. If I told them you couldn't solve their need for less than $10K, they would spend the 10K. But i'm hoping we can do it for much less. Thanks for your input!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like you need a basic server. For that you need server parts. Xeon or Opteron. 32GB ECC memory. Don't really need SSDs, but good, reliable HDDs. Raw performance is not the measure of goodness, rather reliability, stability, and security are what matter.

Do you want a rack or tower solution? How much storage do you need for the file server and database?

What do you have now (for storage space)?

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, i don't disagree on how to measure "good" in a server, it just seems like what it looks like you have to spend to get "server", it's a lot! What are we talking here?

I am looking for a tower. I know performance isn't the be all end all but why not get some if you can, with SSDs? Do they give up reliability that much? Plus I would install them in a RAID setup so if one fails, life goes on.

Right now they are using on the order of 300 GB of data total, mostly in the file server. 32 GB of RAM seems like overkill, again remembering that the current server has 2 GB and does OK, if only it didn't need a new OS to work with their SQL server requirement.

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
32GB is sort of the minimum for a modern server. Using a SSD won't gain you much in a production environment, but that is your call.

Getting server/workstation class components is not all that expensive. Will add a basic build shortly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This shows you an option to start from (HDDs were not available at Newegg. Note the price of the CPU, mobo, memory. Not extreme at all):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P10S-M WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($211.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.79 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K6000 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($185.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $1137.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-15 20:06 EDT-0400

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

The reason I moved past that option is because it does not support RAID. Is that unwise?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You simply add a controller during the configuration to get true hardware RAID.

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, duh :)