Building a System for the First Time...

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
Hi all,

I will soon be investing around £1700 in a new system, and I have selected some hardware. The only problem is, are they recommended, and do they work together?

The system I plan on building features:

Case: Corsair Crystal 570X
MoBo: Asus RoG Crosshair VI Hero
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
RAM: 16GB G.Skillz TridentZ RGB RAM
Video Card: ASUS RoG STRIX 1080 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM750X
Storage: Samsung Evo 850 240GB SSD
WD Blue 2TB HDD

Now, you may be wondering about the cooler. I haven't put a cooler down as I am not sure what cooler I should use. I am thinking of using a Corsair H115i AIO, however as this is my first fully built PC and it is expensive, is this a good choice? Or would it be more recommended to purchase an air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15? All help is appreciated!

Next, the case fans. I am aware that the case comes with 3 SP120 fans in the front, and are controlled by a Corsair Controller. Would it be possible to control these using CUE? Or would I have to strip out the fans, and replace them with LL series? If that's the case, where would 6 LL Series fans go? Again, terribly sorry for such noob questions but all help is appreciated.

Thanks all, feel free to make any more recommendations.

Jack.

Solution
August is a good time to buy for two reasons. First, if you are going Ryzen, it will be enough time for the second generation coming out next week to have any bugs ironed out which happened with the first Ryzens (mostly revolving around memory). Second, supposedly the new GTX 11xx or 20xx series Volta-based GPUs (whatever Nvidia is going to number it) will be out replacing Pascal's GTX 10xx series.

You don't say what screen resolution you plan on gaming at or if you plan on buying a Freesync monitor. I ask because at 1080p resolution, overclocking your CPU will make a difference in frame rates and that's where you'll want to get a high end air cooler like an NH-D15. However above 1080p like 1440p, CPU speed importance drops off...

WildCard999

Titan
Wait till 4/19/18 & get the Ryzen 2700 with the Wraith cooler. What speed (mhz) is that RAM? For Ryzen you'll want 2666+ as it performs better with it. I'm not sure about the fans.

Also what are the uses for this system? I ask as there may be better options out there.

1. Ryzen 2700x is just a week away. you can already preorder it. Same goes for the MB. Probably Crosshair VII
2. for just few pounds more you can double the SSD capacity with Whatever cheaper from Samsung 850, Crucial MX300 or MX500, WD Blue SSDs.
3. Good air cooler will do same or better job than 240-280 AiO at lower noise. models to consider Be Quiet Dark Rock 2/3/4 and their Pro versions, Noctua NH-U14 or 15
4. Case fans, why to throw away decent fans ? just get more of those and use corsairs lync. you can also use motherboard to sync them all.

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013

Alright, that makes sense, I'm not going to be purchasing the parts till around August, so some things are subject to change if better price-performance components come out.

The RAM is 3000MHz, which is lucky.

The use for this system is for high-end gaming, potential streaming and some graphical work, and I'd like it to be futureproofed for some time aswell.

Thanks for the help!

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013

1. I only just found out this was happening, thanks for letting me know! I won't be buying this system till August as is, but it's good to know better stuff will be out for then.
2. The SSD's just one I currently own, saves having to buy a new OS and such.
3. Alright, that makes sense, I've always been a noob with cooling.
4. Thanks for that, I never knew about that.

WildCard999

Titan

August is quite a bit away and I can guarantee you that our part recommendations will change by then, ask this question again when your about two weeks prior to ordering.

August is a good time to buy for two reasons. First, if you are going Ryzen, it will be enough time for the second generation coming out next week to have any bugs ironed out which happened with the first Ryzens (mostly revolving around memory). Second, supposedly the new GTX 11xx or 20xx series Volta-based GPUs (whatever Nvidia is going to number it) will be out replacing Pascal's GTX 10xx series.

You don't say what screen resolution you plan on gaming at or if you plan on buying a Freesync monitor. I ask because at 1080p resolution, overclocking your CPU will make a difference in frame rates and that's where you'll want to get a high end air cooler like an NH-D15. However above 1080p like 1440p, CPU speed importance drops off sharply as the GPU power becomes more important - especially at high quality and AA settings. Other than that I can't add to anything here that hasn't already been said.

Solution

FreddoFoo

Distinguished
May 13, 2013

That was the logic I was going for, I didn't expect the hardware to stay the same for such a long period of time, and also the new Volta GPUs were being anticipated already. As for resolution, I plan on buying a 27" ASUS G-Sync monitor (Due to the nVidia card) and resolutions, I was going to be running as high as darned possible haha.

Thanks!