Building A Workstation With Ryzen Threadripper And Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It'd be nice to see some task benchmarked where Vega's HBCC really gets a workout. Can you ask AMD for examples of this?

BTW, you'd probably need more system memory, since HBCC is useful when accessing significantly more data than the GPU's 16 GB of RAM can hold.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Bit, this is something I tried to get out of AMD when Vega launched, and they didn't have any solid examples yet of where the 8GB card would demonstrate an advantage. Next time I'm on the line with them, I'll see if this situation has changed.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Thanks, Chris.

Back at launch, this was basically new functionality, for a GPU. A year on, 3rd party software developers will have hopefully have had time to start making use of the feature.

@kytokid vents considerable angst about GPU memory vs. scene size, in 3D rendering software. I'd imagine that was one of AMD's target applications, with this feature.

Jun 2, 2018
"If you're looking to replace Cooler Master's stock case fans with your own, be warned: the enclosure's mounting holes don't line up well with aftermarket 120mm fans. Even the screws bundled with Cooler Master's own MasterFan Pro won't work" And the raidiator length for this case can be an issue............ And yet it's the case you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.