Build Advice Building after 11 years. Please review and advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
Hello folks!

I’m building a new PC for myself after 11 years. My current build being an ATX, I would really like to go for a smaller form factor. I have mentioned my current and two proposed builds, an mATX and an mITX. Please review the builds. Can I do better with the parts? The 8" tall mITX is really tempting. But is it worth the extra cost? Will the small case affect airflow leading to decreased life? Is the AORUS better than the PRIME in terms of quality?

ComponentCurrent Build (ATX)New Build (mATX)New Build (mITX)
ProcessorAMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with stock coolerRyzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
Ryzen 5 3500
Or
Ryzen 5 3600 [1]
MotherboardAsus M4A79 DeluxeB550M AORUS PRO
Or
PRIME B550M-A
ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
Or
B550I AORUS PRO AX
MemoryCorsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4GB Dual Channel Kit) x 2Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video CardSapphire Pulse RX560 4GBRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices dropRetaining the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB. Will replace it with a PCIe 4.0 when the prices drop
Storage HDDWestern Digital Caviar Blue 640GB----
Storage SSDSamsung Evo 750 - 250GBCrucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
I’ll add a PCIe 4.0 1TB when prices drop.
Crucial 500GB P2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
I’ll add a PCIe 4.0 1TB when prices drop.
Power SupplyCorsair CMPSU-550VXWill retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.Will retain the Corsair CMPSU -550VX as long as it keeps pumping.
CaseNzxt Guardian 921Thermaltake Versa H17Cooler Master Elite 130
Thermal PasteArctic Cooling MX-2Arctic Cooling MX-4Arctic Cooling MX-4
Keyboard / MouseMicrosoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop (wired)PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Will retain the mouse from the Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop
PHILIPS Corded Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Will retain the mouse from the Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop
MonitorLG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide FreesyncRetaining the LG 29UM59-P 75Hz Ultrawide Freesync
OSWindows 10 ProWindows 10 ProWindows 10 Pro

Some background info:
  1. System Usage: Gaming. Mainly World of Warcraft. Played Crysis (not competetive) and Dragon Age Origins way in the past, so maybe something like those too. And with decent eye candy on my 2560x1080, 75Hz monitor.
  2. Overclocking: Maybe. But only after the warranty period and only if I can set and forget without compromising longevity. Prefer to run with the stock cooler. Although I don’t mind getting an aftermarket one if it’s worth it.
  3. Brand Preferences: This is based on local authorized service centers. I don’t like the hassle of mailing things in case RMA or post warranty support is needed.
PS: Sorry I had to repeat information in both the new builds. I couldn't figure out how to merge cells here. :sweatsmile:

[1] CPU Benchmark: Ryzen 5 3500 vs AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: builder2020

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
You also could look at these which come with their own way of connecting the fans together,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2NcMnQ/arctic-f12-pwm-pst-53-cfm-120-mm-fans-acfan00062a
this is a 5pack which is pretty cost effective, but single ones can be bought too or completely black ones, just look at the "pst" versions.

Two 140mm versions,
https://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=ARCTIC+F14+PST
I doubt I'll need 5 fans. I'm kinda set on noctua with their performance and warranty. I'll keep the arctics in mind in case the noctuas aren't in stock.

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
@builder2020
go water cooling, you'll enjoy 10 years of quiet operation.
I also had AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE , is that the one with paperplane on it?
my Phenom build was making jet roars, my current build is fearfully quiet.
Not sure about the paperplane. Don't have the box anymore. Although you are spot on about the jet roars. :tearsofjoy: It wasn't that noisy a while ago though.
At the moment, with WoW in the background and a few browser tabs, the CPU is running at around 60C, GPU at 64, HDD at 47 and SDD at 36.
Before passing this PC on, I'll redo the thermal compound and relubricate the case fans. That should do the trick I guess.

About water cooling, I was looking at it. But I might be moving around a bit, so I prefer not to risk it.

Reactions: LeiHeJun

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@builder2020

I leave how my pc looks like here:
https://ibb.co/dD1xtpH

it's not a risk, really if you have comfort of your home, do it my way. actually I bought a second hand old gpu because I had fear of leakage. It's way less dangerous than it seems. Think about washing machine, 220volts near so much water spinning crazy and no one was ever electrified by it.

the noise level is lower than any jaws can drop.

my temps are: weather -6, room 15, cpu 35, gpu 28, hdd 28, ssd 34. I've been on for 6 hours now and played some asphalt legends. for backgound ram is 15gb filled,

Reactions: builder2020
@builder2020

it's not a risk, really if you have comfort of your home, do it my way. actually I bought a second hand old gpu because I had fear of leakage. It's way less dangerous than it seems. Think about washing machine, 220volts near so much water spinning crazy and no one was ever electrified by it.

my temps are: weather -6, room 15, cpu 35, gpu 28, hdd 28, ssd 34. I've been on for 6 hours now and played some asphalt legends. for backgound ram is 15gb filled,
15 C in your room? Sounds chilly

builder2020

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
@builder2020

Wow! Thats a nifty setup you've got there! But like I said, I'll be moving around a bit. So I prefer not to risk a liquid setup while using transport services.