Building an extremely high powered system.

Nazgren

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hi,
Back in July my system took a tumble, everything seems to work fine except for the hard drive which ticks like a clock. For this reason I am looking to build a new system. As it currently stands, this is my *current* system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.41
Cooler: Stock
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula-Z
GPU: Superclocked EVGA Titan X
Ram: G.Skill Trident 2400mhz 2x4GB
HDD: Samsung 750GB 7200 RPM 32m (dead)
PSU: Corsair TX 850W

Given the loss of hard drive I would like to make the jump to Intel, my Phenom has done me proud for years but is showing its age, and since AMD has pretty much died since I bought it there doesn't seem to be much choice. As in the title, I am looking to build a system that can handle anything I can throw at it , which will consist purely of gaming, albeit Skyrim at 8K resolution, 8K textures, ENB, more scripts then the Royal Shakespeare Company, etc, level gaming. It will not be limited to Skyrim, and will also include Fallout 4 at a similar level, Total War, etc. Much of the reason I want the system to be at that sort of power, not just because I feel that I can see the improvement between 4K and 8K, but because I would like the system to last as long as possible before the game industry catches up with it, maybe when the next Titan is released. Another reason is because I will likely end up getting some form of Oculus Rift or similar device in the near future and would like a rig that can handle it. To this extent and from recommendations I read from this site I came up with this:
CPU: i7-5820K
Cooler: Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: MSI Intel Lga2011-3 X99S
GPU: Superclocked EVGA Titan X (carried over from previous system, very likely 2x SLI in the near future, depends how well the system I build manages.)
Ram: Hyperx xmp Predator series 16gb 3kmhz ddr4
HDD: Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair TX 850W (carried over from previous system)

At this point the above system design is purely theoretical. When I first made the list the total price to put together the system was £920 which was the limit to what I could justifiably manage but has since moved up to £1100 so I am looking at trimming the most extreme of the power-performance ratio, which afaik is currently in the Mobo.
From what I remember the Mobo has been where the majority of the price increase has come from and is currently priced at ~£300. There are however other DDR4 x99 mobo's available for closer towards the £180. What does this motherboard have that makes it better then the other Mobo's of its level and nearly 2x the price? From what I can tell the main difference is CPU, SLI, Ram and maybe HDD performance, is this correct?
According to the Best CPU for the money article, the 5820k is, aside from the 5960x, currently the best gaming CPU in the world. From what I have read, there have been a few big announcements in the CPU world since the article was last updated In June, primarily regarding Skylake and a potential AMD comeback in late 2016. Are either of these likely to threaten the 5820k's throne as best dual-GPU gaming CPU? For heavily scripted skyrim set ups having towns with potentially 50+ NPC's all with additional behaviour, AI, effects scripts, etc is nothing unusual and I would imagine with Fallout 4 being 64 bit this will be even more so. Would the 5820K be the safest bet to handle this or could a weaker CPU potentially keep up. If it makes any difference at this level of CPU I have no intention of overclocking. I will happily build a system from scratch but I'm not man enough to play with the power settings of a £300 CPU.

Much of what I have written above is heresay and assumption on my part, so if you think I've gotten something wrong then don't be afraid to tell me. While I don't particularly want to spend a lot more then I need to, I don't want buy the system and it still not be enough for what I want. I have seen screenshots of skyrim at this level and spoken to the people who took them so I know it can be done. I am looking to put together the system at some point in Q1 2016. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

tl;dr:
1. Is the MSI Intel Lga2011-3 X99S worth £300, compared to the other DDR4 x99 mobo's priced as low as £180?
2. Are any Skylake CPU's likely to provide any competition for the 5820K for dual GPU Gaming?
3. If I script Skyrim and Fallout 4 to near the limit of what the game engine can handle is a 5820K the only option to run it?

Mattz982

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
You are gaming. Games rarely use 4 cores so you don't need a 5820K, get a 6700K, it's much better for your uses as you aren't gaming. And it'll easily handle streams if you do that. Get whatever motherboard you want. But yea, you don't need a 6700k

Nazgren

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
From what I've read the 5820K is currently the more popular high end gaming CPU as it is believed that following the release of consoles with 8 core CPUs that more games will start to be released with support for more then 4 cores. If the price drop was a bit more substantial then £40 then I might consider it, but I would rather have the improved performance. As for Mobo I am now currently looking at the MSI Intel Lga2011-3 X99S Mpower as that seems to be the best DDR4 Mobo for under £200.

Mattz982

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Not really sure what sources you're going from, but currently the i7 4790K is the favourite for top teir gamers, and so that would suggest the 6700K is to follow. The thing with consoles is that they aren't hypertjhreaded, so an 8 core console is the same as an i7 4 core with hyperthreading.
So basically what I'm saying, is that you'll see more performance with the 4790K or the 6700K than you would with a 5820K for gaming.
Persoannly, after shopping around for my CPU, the 5820K seems to fall into a pit where it's not quite good enough for gaming as it has been designed with 6 cores, but there are better 6 core CPU's out there that are worth paying for. So for me the 5820K is kind of a pointless CPU

Nazgren

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,review-32901-4.html This site, perhaps you've heard of it?

Hyper threaded or not, if developers want to get as much performance as they can from what little the console they have to work with then the only option is 8 core support.

Then why does this site place it as the top gaming CPU for £300 or less and other gaming sites such as overclock.net place it as neck and neck with the 6700k? On a 4 core or less game the yes the 6700k will do better, but we should start seeing more and more 6-8 core games released. It is an unfortunate truth that the gaming industry has always followed the consoles, not the PC's. Look how long it took Bethesda to bite the bullet and release a 64 bit game. 32 bit has been holding back the modding of there games for a long time, it will be interesting to see what can be done in one of there games without the 3.1gb crash wall. Now that consoles are 64 bit and 8 core there is little / no excuse for developers not to make games that follow this. Maybe once they do start using the console to its fullest they can maybe hit 1080, maybe even 60 FPS too if they're lucky. But I digress, if someone can show me a meaningful difference in performance and convince me that there won't be more 6 core gaming in the next 3-4 years then I see no reason not to spend the extra £40 for a fundamentally superior CPU, especially when said CPU comes so highly recommended.

Edit:
Benchmarking tests showing the 5820K beating the 4790k every time:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-6.html