Discussion Building and installing components into a case, but no video input on screen

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Let me begin with the basic info of what i did. Components that i bought and replaced are all of these except power supply 430W(totally strong enough) and the old western digital 500GB hard drive with Windows 7(i think this might be the problem of compatibilty) and data on it;

Intel core i5 9400F (installed it dropped it into a socket carefully)
Pulse RX 560 RX
2x4GB of RAM (Tightly clamped into the slots)
Motherboard ASRock H310CM

Well it took me the whole morning to get everything replaced and built inside the medium case. Now i think some cables are missing (8 outputs, 4 filled on a right side of top left corner of MB) because i used the old ones from the previous PC but the good thing is that all components are working perfectly inside when i turn on the power(also every fan is running smooth). I followed the instructions (much videos on youtube and a manual) to connect every single cable to the right place, idk maybe i just missed something? The problem is i cannot get a picture (no video input). I tried all the tricks and guides on youtube like holding down power button for 1min without no power, taking out the small battery from motherboard, then i used DVI VGA even HDMI on a different monitor display, and contacts to both GPU and MB you know etc. But i did not try to mess with the metal bar on motherboard.

I will eventually call somebody to help we solve this problem, i just wanted to present to you what i did for the first time with the basic knowledge of computer science.

Thanks a lot for the upcoming feedbacks!

WildCard999

Titan
I'd suspect the motherboard BIOS hasn't been updated to support the 9th gen.

The only motherboard that support 9th gen out of the box are the B365 & Z390 boards. Some older boards may of shipped with newer BIOS for the 9th gen but if it's not stated on the box or wherever it was sold then they probably haven't been updated.

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I'd suspect the motherboard BIOS hasn't been updated to support the 9th gen.

The only motherboard that support 9th gen out of the box are the B365 & Z390 boards. Some older boards may of shipped with newer BIOS for the 9th gen but if it's not stated on the box or wherever it was sold then they probably haven't been updated.
Yes it is stated on the box that it supports 9th gen Intel processors, i found out that i've got the outdated BIOS cable with 4 outputs, onboard there are 4up 5down, now if i plug it in (moron) the PC doesn't even run itself! so that's the problem! thanks for the info! hope i'm right.

The motherboard has a port for an 8 pin aux eps power lead.
Not something I expect to see on a 450w psu.
What is the make/model of the psu?
If it has a 4 pin eps power lead, that might work.

I find it easier to assemble components outside of the case for testing.
That makes it easier to change things and avoids possible complications from shorts.
You power on the motherboard by momentarily shorting the front panel pwr pins.