Building First PC Ever

Titan721

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hello!

I was wanting to start building a dual use PC with an emphasis on gaming as I'll be looking to replace my Xbox 1 (sell it if I can along with my copy of AC: Syndicate and if it'll help me afford this build.) and use it as a media center for music & photos, with some video transcoding & high internet usage as I figure it's cheaper to build than keep buying & replacing/fixing laptops.

My main question is since price is my main enemy right now, should I just go for AMD and get a better GPU and get started sooner or should I just piecemeal a Skylake system together over the course of a couple months? Ideally I'd like to be able to play Fallout 4, and I figure if I can build something that can handle that, it should be able to handle current gen games like Rise of the Tomb raider and what have you. (Ideally at 1080p, I don't know or care enough about frame rates and don't notice anyways unless it gets really slow or you do a side by side in front of my face.) I stick to single player games as I'm not really big on shooters due to them not really having a story and I suck at playing online. (If that makes any difference)

The reason I'm going for Skylake if I have to go Intel as I'd like to last for a while, and since they're introducing a new architecture that requires a new board and DDR4 ram, may as well go bleeding edge to start and save money in the long run I figure.

Feel free to post suggestions and I'll probably be asking a few questions myself in response because as I said before, this is going to be my first build ever and I'm going to ask it to do a lot since it'll be replacing my personal laptop and Xbox.

Nonpossible

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2015

There is no guarantee that a skylake CPU will last any longer out of the box than any other new CPU. You will pay more for skylake to future-proof your system, but for your purposes I don't think you need to spend the extra cash on skylake.

What is your budget, by the way?

Titan721

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

I don't really have one as I found that having a budget is unnecessary to me as I'll buy what I have/want to. I figure it's like buying a controller or dj headphones (my other hobby). I start with what featues I want, and then cut what corners I can. Like, instead of buying name brand RAM, I'll probably just find some generic stuff unless I can find a deal that's close in price.

I'm not looking to drop 1K or anything like that. I think when I finally figured out how to get pc parts picker to work, I was looking at 600 and that included the Haswell I5 chip, 8 gbs of RAM, a basic case with included psu and fan, & 1tb hdd. I don't need an OS as I have a copy of 8.1 I can install. I also will be going to Microcenter as they are selling parts for cheaper than I can find online. ( 110$ for a AMD A10 7850K for ex.)