Building Gaming PC - looking for advice

jason242

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Building Gaming PC - looking for advice

These are the specs so far that I've lined up.

mobo: ASUS A8N-SLi Premium
cpu: AMD 64 3000
vid: Geforce 6800GS
RAM: dual channel DDR400 1024mb x 2
HDD: WD 160 GB SATA II
Monitor: Polyview V398 19" widescreen 1440 x 900/WXGA 600:1 8ms D-Sub/DVI-D
Case: Unsure (open to suggestion)
PSU: Unsure (open to suggestion)
Cooling: Unsure (open to suggestion, just not water)

Mobo:

I had planned to go with the new ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe, but the reviews on X-Bit made me rethink that. A new chipset, I believe, should outperform the previous generation, instead of being slower. The Premium bundle from what I understand is much better as well. I am however open to other suggestions concerning other AMD compatible PCI-e chipsets.

CPU:

I plan to save up for the FX series when it comes down in price a bit, and also when I have a little more money to throw around. I have a feeling that the 3000 is fine, but I'd like to hear feedback on that as well.

Vid:

in the future, perhaps substitute it with a 7800 series 512 MB card.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
You don't need a SLI mobo, you can save some money by getting non-SLI. Consider Epox 9NPA+ Ultra, it has a NF4 chipset, just like the Asus mobo. The 3000+ is a good choice, and good price, nothing wrong with it. Nice video card, should suit you just fine.

Not that he needs to be told so, but I agree with proxac26, dump the SLI. What is you max out price, could help in choosing case, power supply, and cooling.

Another thought, take the pennys you save on that Epox board and spend that diffrence on some more cpu power.