Building my new rig

CronicNeurotic

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be building a new computer from the ground up and I am just wondering what some of your thoughts are on what I have decided to get so far.

I will basically want to be able to overclock as much as possible, play the newest games with the least amount of stutter or lag, encode movies in editing software and everyday tasks. I don't want to go into water cooling because I have heard that clogs etc can be a problem and something I don't want to have to deal with. The overclocking will not be necessary at the moment I don't think but I want to have the headroom for when It becomes necessary (probably a couple of years down the line)

So this is what I am planning so far, let me know if you have any suggestions or perhaps better alternatives.

Processor - I7-8700k (purchased)
Mainboard - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
Case - NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black
RAM - Patriot Viper RGB Series 16GB KIT DDR4 4133Mhz CL19 DDR4 Black
Cooler - Noctua NH-D15
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 (This is just random really had no time to research fully)
GPU - Nvidia GTX 670 ( In my current rig)
Thermal Paste - Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut

The other peripherals, SSD etc are not important and I will probably upgrade the GPU last after possibly buying more fans for the case if required

logainofhades

Titan
The 1000w PSU is a good unit, but not necessary, unless you plan to SLI 1080ti. A single card setup, a 750w G3 is plenty. Intel generally isn't hugely affected by ram speeds. Some G-skill trident 3200 RGB it plenty enough. While I don't think that board you chose is necessarily bad, it is quite pricey. One of the Asus Strix boards would be fine. What is your budget for these components?

All are top notch components, but as logainofhades said, some of these are a little over the top and will impact your wallet much more than performance.

I would go with something like this. It should be a lot cheaper and will give the same performance. I also threw in a Phanteks case. There is nothing wrong with NZXT as they make great cases, I just really like the Enthoo Luxe. Fractal Design also makes some really good cases.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTCzvn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTCzvn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($86.20 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($158.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $949.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-19 09:39 EDT-0400

CronicNeurotic

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Yeah I don't think I will ever choose two crappy cards (or decent cards) over just one higher priced card, it just seems that SLI has never been a huge advantage universally so not worth it. I usually use this calculator

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

and I beefed up the overclocking on everything with a 1080Ti and using every USB and Eight fans, lights everything and it recommends 992W. I know it is very unlikely that I will use all of that but it is possible that on occasion I might so not sure but I will still look into it this further.

Looking into RAM has been the most lengthy piece of research I have done so far and it still does not seem completely settled. As far as I understand so far usually the higher the frequency the slower (higher) the timings get. It seems like there is a lot of debate about the value of having higher frequency but I found this article which seemed to explain it

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

Which is why I went for the highest frequency this motherboard can handle, essentially the timings have to go higher with higher frequencies and it doesn't reflect 'real latency' that much. Doesn't it also allow more overclocking the higher the frequency? I haven't heard anything about Intel not being affected by RAM speeds though, where did you hear this?

I also looked at the Z370 Extreme4 ATX which all in all was similar but actually can handle 4,333 MHz DDR4 as opposed to 4,133 MHz on the Maximus X but the integrated sound is better on the Max X and I do have a high end sound system attached and will plan to upgrade to a PCI-E sound card later though but it also seems the Max X is much easier to overclock and I saw someone get a de-lidded 8700k to 6ghz with good temps on the Max X and it is very easy to configure. The only discernible difference between the Hero and the Strix I can find is that the hero has

USB 2.0 6×
USB 3.0 (3.1 gen1) 6×
USB 3.1 (3.1 gen2) 2 ×

and the Strix has

USB 2.0 2×
USB 3.0 (3.1 gen1) 2×
USB 3.1 (3.1 gen2) 1 ×

and with the supplier I am using the price difference is about thirty five euros.

I have gone to roughly what my limit is with these components because the price jump is just too huge when going higher for mediocre gains so I would go around one hundred euros either way on components possibly less depending.

Thanks guys

CronicNeurotic

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Thanks buddy , I answered already about the RAM but with the case I think I will stick with the one I have, in comparison mine just looks more evil and I will put all the lights on red haha, I watched a video on the cable management, removable slots etc and the Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe is really good too, I think they are both similar in terms of these things, I think it is just more of a style choice but also I think I can fit more fans into the Phantom and it has room for a tilt fan to draw more air towards the cpu or GPU as needed

As someone who previously owned the Phantom 820, I must say you'd be getting better value out of a Phanteks case. While the P820 looks fantastic and has plenty of room, you also need to remember that it was released in 2012, and may be lacking a bit of the modern flair. A case such as the Enthoo Pro/Evolv/Luxe might appeal to you. (EDIT): Someone beat me to it. If you want evil, look at the Noctis 450 Then :)

As for the RAM, going above 3200 Mhz is purely nonsensical, especially when you yourself said you were concerned about price jumps for mediocre gains. It's a matter of diminishing returns at this point. It seems pretty unwise for you to take an explanation about RAM speeds from a company that's looking to make its money by selling you their highest priced product...Here's a more realistic outlook on RAM performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

750W will be fine for any reasonable OC you'd throw at the 8700k. The 990 Number, I have no idea where you got that from. PC Partpicker puts your system at a max of 484W without OC's, but for you to draw an extra 270W out of mere overclocking is ridiculous. DO NOT BUY BOARDS purely because of the RAM speed/onboard audio, as you will barely notice a difference between the onboard DAC of a $160 board vs a $250 one. The Z-370A or the Extreme4 boards would be the best bang for your buck at this point.

Cases are more of a personal preference. NZXT makes some really good cases, so go for it and enjoy!