Question Building my son a new gaming rig, what do you guys recommend for a PSU?

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
So far I have all this ordered with a few items already in hand. Looking for PSU recommendations.

Ryzen 7 5800X CPU
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard
DeepCool Macube 310 Case
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler
PNY XLR8 16GB 3600 MHZ(2x8GB) x 2 = 32GB
Gigabyte Gaming OC Radeon RX 6650 XT GFX Card
SanDisk Ultra 1TB Internal PCI Express x4 NVMe SSD
More case fans. Also not purchased yet. I'm thinking 3 in front and 2 on top and 1 in rear. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Thanks guys! These both look like great choices. Reviews look solid. I was looking at 700-800 watt units earlier. Would the 650 would be fine even with 4 memory sticks and prob a total of 8 fans including the 2 cooler fans and other stuff connected like keyboard, mouse, headset and any RGB stuff he might want?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks guys! These both look like great choices. Reviews look solid. I was looking at 700-800 watt units earlier. Would the 650 would be fine even with 4 memory sticks and prob a total of 8 fans including the 2 cooler fans and other stuff connected like keyboard, mouse, headset and any RGB stuff he might want?
Yes. Nothing wrong with more wattage, but 650w is more than enough for what you described.

Reactions: SteveWonda

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I found an excellent deal on a Corsair RM750x so went with that.

Another thing. I just realized the NVMe drive is a Gen 3 x4. Should I go with a Gen4? The MB does support Gen 4. I don't mind saving the Gen 3 for another build or to upgrade someones PC at some point. If you think I should go with a Gen 4 please recommend some. I'd like to get a 1tb and stay around $100 if possible but will spend a bit more if necessary.

I found an excellent deal on a Corsair RM750x so went with that.

Another thing. I just realized the NVMe drive is a Gen 3 x4. Should I go with a Gen4? The MB does support Gen 4. I don't mind saving the Gen 3 for another build or to upgrade someones PC at some point. If you think I should go with a Gen 4 please recommend some. I'd like to get a 1tb and stay around $100 if possible but will spend a bit more if necessary.
Gen 3 is fine.

PNY CS2130 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4 Internal SSD $69.99

logainofhades

Titan
Wow that's a great deal! This is what I already have in hand. Got it during a big Best Buy sale a while back for like $80. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265223235311?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

So there's really no reason to go to a Gen 4? This is a gaming PC build for my son and he wants it as fast as possible for our $1,000 or so budget lol.

For gaming, it really doesn't make much difference for gen 3 vs gen 4. Even with games exclusively on a 2.5" SATA ssd, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you really want to go with gen 4, though, this drive is a great one, for the $$. It is microcenter's house brand. I use one in my current rig.
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Inland Performance Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-04 07:46 EDT-0400

Gen 3 is fine for the money. In fact if you look there are other deals. I just picked up recently a 2tb sata ssd for about 100 bucks on eBay, have a couple of 1tb sata ssds in there as well. Even as a boot drive nvme is nice but sata is still fine imo. You can go nvme for game storage if you want but I think for storage you are splitting hairs. I’d say look around and see if you can’t find a 2tb sata ssd for games instead of spending extra on gen 4. My gen 3 nvme that is my boot drive is still lightning fast.

Since you bought a psu, I have some added thoughts for your build:

Ryzen is very sensitive to ram.
It is a mistake to buy two 2 x 8gb kits.
They may not be compatible, yes, even with the same part numbers.
Ram must be matched.
Look at the motherboard ram support list for your processor.
Consider buying one of the kits which have been tested.
Likely, this will be a 2 x 16gb kit.
Ryzen ram supports dual channel only.

The case seems fine to me, but I would opt for two 14omm front intakes vs. 3 120mm fans.
Larger fans move more air quietly.
All the front intake air will eventually exit the case, carrying component heat with it. A 120mm rear exit fan will direct the airflow past the cpu cooler, motherboard and graphics card.
Strong top fans will divert the airflow before it can do it's job.

On the m.2 ssd, do not worry much about pcie3/4 speeds.
That applies to sequential operations of which we do little.
Windows will be 90% small random i/o.
On that, all ssd devices will perform about the same.
You might consider a Samsung ssd.
Puget systems thinks highly of them for reliability: